Floating disks... what is it????

Guest Big H

Hope Disk Brakes offer a floating disk option for their brakes. What is it and what is the advantages?????.

Thanx in advance for the advice.

A floating disk brake is pretty much what it says on the box, it's a disk which is not fixed in place horizontally, but has a certain degree of 'play' left and right (0.5-1.0mm) allowing the pads to be in permanent contact with the disc.

That means instant-on brakes. I remember we used to use them in karting; it took a while to get used to them to say the least!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx guys .... the dirty deed is done. I just oredered new LX m760 Shifter pods, M761 front and rear derraileurs, Hope Mono 4 disks with 183mm rotors for front and rear. I also ordered extra hydraulic pipe for the tandem (braided), olives, fittings, Shimano HG 93 set of three chains, Hope shims, Hope bleed kit, O-rings, crud catcher for the Thudbuster, spare front axle, two grease guns, a Park Chain measurement tool.

Now I go through the agony of waiting!!!!!!!

so I need to buy an extra set of XTR discs? ok getting expensive now. Cry

Your new XTR rims will in all probability have centelock hubs, so when you order your Juicy's get them with either centrelock or IS 6 hole discs (depending on what your Rims accept)

Your certainly don't need to go and buy XTR discs specifically.

Big H, are you getting all of that from Chain Reaction ?

Yup....just as a matter of interest. Hopetech is represented in South Africa by International Trade. Phone Alan at 0027114526587. They have a full range of disks accessories and spares available.

CVANC,

Which Deore Shifters do you have? Rapid fire (trigger shifter)or Dual Control (integrated shifter and brakes)?

If You have rapid Fire Shifters then you can just change the brakes to the Avid's (assuming you're absolutely sold on them)

So no need to change the whole drivetrain. SRAM is nice,  but it's not that nice - never has issues with a Shimano drivetrain myself...

If you have XTR WH-M965 wheels then I advise you get Shimano XT centre lock rotors. For some obscure reason the XTR rotors on the XTR wheels make for some seriously loud howling noises know to keep vampires at bay.

These will work with the Avid brakes.

Not sure which Shimano drivetrain you have but for best shifting performance use a continuous Shimano SP-41 gear cable housing.

Been usin this on my Scalpel and now my Rush and have not had shifting issues. It's a lot cheaper than a totally new drivetrain.

PS:Training ride was great

PSS: Titus, the funny noises made by Juicy 7 is from the rotors. I fitted XT rotors to buddy'sbike and he's brakes are now quiet. I have a theory that the noice was caused by the wavy rotor face moving across the disc pad face, creating micrmovement and heard as shrieking or on some mono pivot bikes as a warbling sound (like when you bend a thin sheet of metal back and forth)

some mono pivot bikes as a warbling sound (like when you bend a thin sheet of metal back and forth)

Or like when you play a saw with a bow? That's a cool noise if you can control it?

Oh yeah the rason for the thread; Floating brakes.

This is an articulated rear brake caliper mounting fitted to some long travel FS bikes to help prevent the rear suspension from stiffening up due to a decreasing wheelbase as the suspension compresses. This allows what engineers call Squat to occur keeping the headangle of the bike constant (ish), helping stability on steep courses.

Not needed on Xc and MArathon bikes because the wheel path is up and rearward, similar to the fork so the change in wheelbase is not as great. also the courses are not so steep or technical.

some mono pivot bikes as a warbling sound (like when you bend a thin sheet of metal back and forth)

Or like when you play a saw with a bow? That's a cool noise if you can control it?

Dude, whatever floats your musical boat hey ;)

Ok I have a disc question also:

Juicy 7's or Juicy Ultimate's???

Any Juicy's will do....they have the most power allowing you to carve long arcing lines accross the trail whenever you have to slow down!

Pisses off the trailbuilders....but really impresses the chicks! Wink

Me and GoLefty settled our little dispute on and thereafter off the board in a very amiccable way. He's a stand-up guy! Thumbs%20Up

I figure he can take a bit of poking in the ribs Wink

Me and GoLefty settled our little dispute on and thereafter off the board in a very amiccable way. He's a stand-up guy! Thumbs%20Up

I figure he can take a bit of poking in the ribs Wink

Sure, if you can take a slap on the head from time to timeLOL