2007 L'Etape du Tour

IanJ

Right ladies, the hot stuff is on hi triumphnat path back to greatness.

I expect a generous donation from either of you so that i will be able to take to the start line for this great race. You may donate me ur plane tickets...... thank you.

Just heard that my booking and entry for L'Etape is confirmed Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile.

Now where is Grapkas to work out how many sleeps it is.

Foix > Loudenvielle - Le Louron
Monday 16 July 2007 - Distance 196 km
Km 27Col de PortAscent of 11,4 km at a 5,3% gradient
Km 98Col de Portet d?AspetAscent of 5,7 km at a 6,9% gradient
Km 114Col de Ment?Ascent of 7 km at a 8,1% gradient
Km 159Port de Bal?sAscent of 19,2 km at a 6,2% gradient
Km 184Col de PeyresourdeAscent of 9,7 km at a 7,8% gradient
20061129_032234_profile.gif

NO WAY!!!!! Awesome IanJ!@$!

Cry

Don't worry we'll have to do lots of training rides between now and then.

I am going to try set up a Lesotho long weekend trip in January if anyone is keen?

I am always keen IANJ!!! We can go twice in January if you want Big%20smile

IANJ LEKKER OU MAAT.... ONTHOU...... PASE JOUSELF OP DIE KLIMME (DIT IS BAIE BELANGRIK!!!! EK GAAN 85% SOVER DIE LETAPE DOEN. WAG NET VIR DIE BESONDERHEDE VAN DIE RES VAN DIE TOER.

ALLES WORD VIR ONS GEREEL EN DAN DOEN ONS OOK SOMMER DIE TDF DAARNA. Gelukkig hoef ek nie fiets saam te neem nie. word gesponsor met nuwes in frankryk vir die letape en res van tdf......Thumbs%20Up

best place to cycle......

http://www.vukileprops.co.za/pics/calvin.gif

Gelukkig hoef ek nie fiets saam te neem nie. word gesponsor met nuwes in frankryk vir die letape en res van tdf......Thumbs%20Up

That makes a big difference, busy sorting out how I will take my bike. Luckily we have Linnega on the Hub who is mine of information. Big%20smile

Is it those Graham baxter tours?

Jealous smiley11.gif smiley11.gif

ag at least i was there at this years TDF!!! smiley4.gif smiley4.gif

Yup it is Graham Baxter.

Cry And i just get left at home...

Hey... Maybe i should blackmail him into getting those new rims for me...Big%20smile

"Dad you know you going to France without me.... well...."LOL

I think we are going to end up doing a lot of hill training Shocked

Glad you got in to one of the reasonable options.  Which town are you staying in?

The route looks bloody hard for a non-pro.  Even without Port de Bales the rest of the climbs are tough, but to have a 20km climb between km 140 and 160 is tough especially following that up with Peyresourde which is really tough.  I have ridden Portet Aspet, Col de Mente and the Peyresourde and all are tough going.  If I remember right you guys stay in Luchon after the Etape.  Perhaps worth staying a day to ride through the other climbs out of Luchon especially Portillon.

Sat and Sun we stay in Mirepoix, after the race we stay at Pyrenees Sport Hotel in Bagneres de Bigorre which is apparently owned and run by Laurent Fignon ex Tour de France winner.

I will have to find things for the wife to do whilst I cycle but I want to head across to the Alps to catch some of the stages there and I am sure I can ride a bit there.

There is only one Alpine stage after the Etape and that is the day after, so you would have to leave straight after the Etape or early the next morning.  To get to see the race from the top of the Galibier you will need to be at the base of the Telegraphe by about 9am to be able to ride to the top before the Gendarme close the roads to cyclists.  No chance you will get a car up there anytime on race day.

The other option is to take it easy for a day or two around Montpellier (the beaches and the women are quite easy on the eye), watch the sprint finish in Montpellier on the Thursday, move up to Carcassone (they have an old town that the wife might find appealing) on the Friday, watch the TT in Albi on the Saturday, then catch the first two Pyrenean mountain stages.  A good base would be Foix or even Luchon if you can get place there.  Watch the summit finish on Plateau de Beille, then watch your Etape stage from Peyresourde the next day.  Well, thats what I would do.

Thanks again Linnega, I got my dates mixed up, we were originally thinking of driving down the week before and watching some of the Alpine stages (still might do that). We need to spend a week in the UK (family) and a week in France so we need to decide which week where.

I think your suggestions sound good though and we wouldn't need to travel much.