Can this be repaired

Wheelsuck

1cm Cut, pretty clean on the top of the sidewall of Racing Ralph's.

Can it be fixed? I was thinking that I can patch on the inside with a small piece. LBS says it will unbalance the tyre, but I think it is so small will not do any harm.  

unbalance the tyre.... neat... you go that fast for it to be noticeable hey? do you have a magnet for your puter on one of your wheels? does it unbalance them? Tell the shop to go find another sucker and stick to what you first thought...

1cm Cut' date=' pretty clean on the top of the sidewall of Racing Ralph's.

Can it be fixed? I was thinking that I can patch on the inside with a small piece. LBS says it will unbalance the tyre, but I think it is so small will not do any harm.  
[/quote']

I also had a cut like this but kept on riding the tyre. eventually the threads on the side either ripped apart or ripped out of the material and when going fast the tyre was, yes, unbalanced - feels like you have a hecticly untrue backwheel.

patch it up, ride it and decide yourself how it feels!

1cm Cut' date=' pretty clean on the top of the sidewall of Racing Ralph's.

[/quote']

Fix it....either with a patch or with needle and floss

Oh....and find a LBS that won't try pull the wool over your eyes

Fix it....either with a patch or with needle and floss

Oh....and find a LBS that won't try pull the wool over your eyes

Oi, MJ, that's just what I said...

Cheap 'ol super glue dude. and then if you still want to, stick a piece of that cheap pink patching on the inside. styling.

Wheelsuck

I have patched many tyres like that before with no problems.

Just make sure you use the black patches with the orange edge and not the strips that you have to cut up. The strips are thinner and tend to "blow through" the the under high pressure.

If you are really worried about your wheel being off-balance then put the patch opposite your tube valve and if you have a magnet on the wheel then put the valve, magnet and patch at 120? apart.Big%20smileLOL

Mastertreads patched a cut that size on a python sidewall for me once. Cost me a coke. Don't know about the unbalanced aspect though, also think your lbs is trying to pull a fast one one you...

Thanks Guys, will do. Previous LBS moved away so dont have much of a relationship with current and it showsOuch  

LBS says it will unbalance the tyre' date='   [/quote']

Bwah ha ha Ha HA ah ha....

Hope you change your LBS.

unbalance the tyre.... neat... you go that fast for it to be noticeable hey? do you have a magnet for your puter on one of your wheels? does it unbalance them? Tell the shop to go find another sucker and stick to what you first thought...

And people tell me I'm the cycnical bastard here. My sentiments exactly. This wheel balance thing keeps on cropping up out of nowhere every few months like mosquitoes in spring. Lets nip it in the bud.

Just one thing to add, the OP didn't say if the threads in the casing were cut or not. If they're cut, the chances of survival for that tyre diminishes. Rubber cuts are no big deal.

If the threads are cut, try and boot the tyre with something that doesn't stretch. Normal patches, if if they are lorry patches, are too stretchy and the tyre pressure pushes them through the cut like a hernia.

Get this from Park Tools ..............

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/13249.jpg

The fastest, easiest, and most secure way to repair a cut or worn tire sidewall. The all-new TB-2 is produced using a strong, waterproof vinyl membrane with fiber weave reinforcement. A super strong pressure sensitive adhesive assures the boot stays in place in any tire, road or mountain, high or low pressure. A true ride saver.
The TB-2 measures approximately 76mm x 45mm (3" X 1.75")

Weight: .4 ozs. (11.2 g)

Wheelsuck

I have patched many tyres like that before with no problems.

Just make sure you use the black patches with the orange edge and not the strips that you have to cut up. The strips are thinner and tend to "blow through" the the under high pressure.

If you are really worried about your wheel being off-balance then put the patch opposite your tube valve and if you have a magnet on the wheel then put the valve' date=' magnet and patch at 120? apart.Big%20smileLOL
[/quote']

which should be your reference point?

Big H, I carry one of those to patch my tjoopless tyre should it go. Havet had a puncture yet so havent tried it. Last count I have 22 snot patches but they all seal and the tyre doesnt lose air. When my rear tyre runs out of tread I am going to take a bottle to it and do my experiment. We shall see.