Transformation of Teams and Elite Cycling

Chrispy

Austin you are spot on with your scenario Now to get CSA to adopt and implement it is another story.

At the recent Eric van Enter championchips there was several PDI riders who proved their mettle against the best of the juniors they are the ones who needs to be nurtured into the riders of the future through a system you have mentioned in your post. I will glady allow Michael Jackson from the Orange okes to go into such a system knowing he will be taken to another level after having proven himself this year in the A bunch. 

Agree with Austin, there's so much talent around. I agree on the ladies side its very thin. But come and visit a Boland track meeting and see for yourself. However the accent and big love of the Boland youngsters is track, they even present their road circuits on flat, track like courses. Most of the PDI juniors in the Boland can sit a wheel and sprint like hell. Not too fit and suffer on the climbs. But if a laaitie can sit and race in a bunch thats a lot. So instead of coming from other sports like running or triathlons, they all come from track cycling, where you must think, not just push a big gear. They also have very good legspeed.

I was selected the new Boland chairman 3 months ago, and we will start to change the format of road races, get our newly qualified coaches involved, and the laaities will do some base training with the Matie squad from next week. Maties are the strongest road club in Boland. Then we will see improvements at events like junior tours and Eric v Enter. And hopefully be a feeder province to the big teams.

Gee hulle fietse dat hulle kan oefen en perform.  
and then you have a situation like the Liberty riders, notorious for riding like sh*t, because they didn't pay for the equipment, so why take care of it? How Admin's dad put up with all the flack I don't know...

Titus

Problem in SA is everthing is done for personal and club pide only not as other countries where National pride is priority number one .

Our Gov. will dictate in all sports codes but not put a cent into it to help alleviate the financial burden the National bodies has to carry to get their sportspersons to the top level.

Compare the announcement this morning where Ryk(swimmer) will get R10 000-00 per month to prepare for the 2008 olympics versus what the Aussies and Americans give the national athletes in preparation for these games.

I know, I was looking at the list this morning, it's not much money but it is still money but there is not a single cyclist on that entire list of 85 riders, why not? Are our appeals not reaching the correct people?

Gee hulle fietse dat hulle kan oefen en perform.  
and then you have a situation like the Liberty riders' date=' notorious for riding like sh*t, because they didn't pay for the equipment, so why take care of it? How Admin's dad put up with all the flack I don't know...[/quote']

okay, true! I've also almost been knocked off my bike a few times by some of the PDI riders, so i tend to agree. But guess it's all fair when politics are involvedConfused

Titus

Although cycling has representation at SASCOC level are they asking and requesting such aid for our riders?