Finally finished: Kona

Ox_Wagon

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

20081020_035918_Kona.JPG

I finally finished the replacement off my 16 year old Mongoose.  I got the bike a few months ago but discovered the joys of owning an old multi pivot full suspension frame when I serviced it.  I had to replace some of the bushings and, as usual, none was available in ZAOuch.  

With pointers from hubbers I was able to get the bearings locally and also bushings that could be modified to fit. I also took the opportunity to change the groupset, again thanks to the hubbers that help me find the missing peaces. Clap 

The chainstay is a bit dodgy but hopefully it will last long enough for me to decide if I want to spend more on a better full suspension frame.

PS: The Anoraks among you may spot the ancient component that I temporary installed. WinkLOL 

Awesome ride.

What did the final cost of the bike come to?

Would the "ancient component" be the double chainring up front?

Jip, no GRANNY is going to ride it...

Awesome ride.

What did the final cost of the bike come to?

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Difficult to say as it is a part bin specialEmbarrassed.  I paid R2000 for the bike with 8 speed on it but have to add that the chain stay has had weld repair done to it(so it is just a mater of time before it will crack again)Cry and that the Mavic rims are on their way out (stress deformation around the nipples). Must be because they do not have serial number on them, so must be pirated!Evil%20Smile   

The bearings and bushings were R100.  The chain and stem is of my old road bike. The handle bar is of a hybrid I build a long time ago, most of the other stuff comes from my Mongoose. The shifters and RD I got on the hub. The cassette, grips, cables and cheapy brake levers are new. So let say around R3000.

Would the "ancient component" be the double chainring up front?

Jip' date=' no GRANNY is going to ride it...
[/quote']

LOL I am having difficulties removing the crank of the Mongoose (don?t ask)Embarrassed and I simply had to rid the bike so the only crank that I had lying around was the Mongooses?s old non-compact (non-?frilly pink shirt) XT crankBig%20smile.  Unfortunately the granny interfered with the swing arm so I had to remove it.  The middle chain ring is a 38 so definitively no for an overweight climber like my selfEmbarrassed.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

MW, remember it is a very entry level 5 year old bike.  It as a coil Fox float rear shock without any platform damping and the Marzzochi fork is a plain OEM coil fork without any damping magic Ermm I have not weighed because I am to scared it will weigh more than my steel frame Mongoose harttailShocked.

Ox_Wagon2008-10-20 05:48:39