Question to the Disk Veterans?????

Guest Big H

I have now installed my new disks brakes. The front one is permanent whilst the back disk brake handle is installed on M's handlebar. The disks are Hope Mono M4 four pot fixed caliper disks with 183 mm rotors.

The centring of the disks is a hit and try method. I found that by loosening the caliper and applying the brakes it gives you the most neutral position and a good starting point. There is however a small almost indistiguisable rubbing noise when spinning the wheels with the Tandem on the bike stand. The wheels spinn normally and the rubbing does not seem to impede the free spinning motion. When we ride there is no noise at all. Upon investigating I found that both disks have a very slight wobble, I must reiterate very very slight. Is this normal, what can I do to stop this, will it cause any problems????

Your comments will be appreciated.

Disks are awesome but the tandem now looks so "kaal"!!!!!

Guys be seriousss for once ..... even is Souf Efferika closes down today.... summm poeples are still working and practicing the sport we are all passionate about. Vuil Ryer ek wil weet of die skuur ok is nie soseer die wobble nie??????

Discs should be 100% flat in an ideal world but that rarely happens. You can get a disc straightening tool from Park (very cool) if it's really bad, if it's not then don't worry about it. As to the rubbing, new discs have a bit of a run in period, run them in and then re-centre the caliper and all should be cool.

BH dis rerig baie moeilik om te se , die goed is nie veronerstel om te skuur nie maar as hy so skuur dat jou wiel nog vry draai dan sal ek myself nie te veel daaroor stress nie . Het jy jou calipers ook "gecentre" ? Ek neem aan centering of disks bedoel jy die Rotors ? Nuwe rotors is nie veronderstel om te wobble nie maar jy behoort te weet niks is 100% nie .

Hey Big H

I used the Hope M4's for a few years while living in the UK, and always had some pad rub on the rotor.

All the disc i have ever used did this, (Maguras Louise FR, Hayes Mags and the Hopes)I think that every rotor will have a slight wobble to it, as they distort and bend due to the heat generated while braking. It never was a serious thing, just used to make a slight humming noise when i was riding. I never experienced any drag or any noticable performance decrease from this. The rubbing is so slight, and the pads will quickly wear on the spot where the rotor rubs up against it.

If you hit the rotor on a rock or something and get a serious bend in it, then you will need to replace it, but i think what you are describing is normal with disc brakes. It doesnt sound like it will cause any problems.

Enjoy riding the new brakes. From what i have seen and heard they look pretty awesome! Hows about a few pics of the upgraded tandem??

Thanx for all the help guys. Zaskar, yes they look awesome!!!!!

The rear brake is still "jury rigged" on the stoker handlebars and I am at M's mercy when we brake!!!!!! As soon as the longer lenghts of hydr pipe arrives I will ost a pic. Looks verrry "kaal" without the V's!!!!!