Barlow denied UCI license

Delgado

http://www.24.com/sport/?p=SportArticle&i=363523

Aigle, Switzerland - South Africa's Team Barloworld has been refused a license to take part in the next UCI ProTour.

Cycling's governing body made the announcement on Friday without providing a reason for the decision, citing the independence of its licensing commission.

Team Barloworld could not immediately be reached for comment.

The licensing commission meanwhile granted new licenses or extensions until 2010 to Caisse d'Epargne, T-Mobile, Unibet, Saunier Duval and Gerolsteiner.

Team Milram's license to take part in the ProTour was also renewed until 2009, while a decision on Team Astana has been postponed until December 20, UCI said, citing technical reasons.

UCI also reiterated its right to decide which teams can take part in the Tour de France, the Spanish Vuelta and the Giro d'Italia.

The Switzerland-based body said every team with a license had the right and obligation to take part in all 27 races of the ProTour 2007, rejecting a declaration by the organisers of the big three races, ASO, Unipublic and RCS, that they would determine which teams can ride.

Guest colonel

Scared??? Oh Buddy you make me laugh so hard at times.

I think BW should re-think this all cause they are clearly not going to get it after all these years of trying.

Scared??? Oh Buddy you make me laugh so hard at times.

I think BW should re-think this all cause they are clearly not going to get it after all these years of trying.

LOL I know... a little saturday evening humour .. LOL

This year was the first time they have submitted a formal application - it would have been an almost unheard of situation if they had succeeded! Some folks taking it very hard that they bettered Microsoft in the 94.7????

Guest colonel

NO NO NO!!! Msoft just had a confusion on who did what, When Velits went Impey thought Lange was going to counter attck and never!

Maybe is BW won then they couldve got the licence???? BUT NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!Wink

Not really a surprise as Unibet have assembled a good team and their stance on drugs is as clear as T-Mobiles current commitment.  Barloworld have no stars with Hunter probably their most senior rider, and their drugs reputation is sketchy and stance is not clearly articulated.

More interesting though is the UCI's contention that they can make the force the major races into the ProTour and insist on guaranteed and compulsory participation of all Protour teams.  Look for teams like Euskaltel to not be invited to Milan San Remo.  Discovery may also be excluded from the Giro particularly if Basso is implicated further in Puerto.

ApproveThere is a new move being negotiated within the UCI which will almost guarantee Continental Pro teams being given a wildcard in the grand tours on a shared basis - will be interesting to see how it materialises.

Guest colonel

Linega: No offence but all teams drug reputations are sketchy.

I am with linnega, the UCI are losing their power (it's debateable as to whether they ever had any) and the major tours are going to do whatever they want in 2007. BW may not have a ProTour license but they should get a spot in the Giro and associated races like MSR with the Corti connection and maybe even the Tour and Vuelta.

This could well be the end for the ProTour and perhaps even the UCI if a breakaway organisation is formed that has some serious financial backing.