20 inch tubes for Ghetto Tubeless

Johan Bornman

I think for peace of mind maybe- people associate cost and quality together. There are many ways to do things though if you ain't a rich bugger!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OKO can be bought at any Trentyre branch R60.

i have all the tools, and man power......but No 20" tubes

so now the project is stopped dead in its tracks.

where in CT can i find them

?

i have all the tools' date=' and man power......but No 20" tubes

[/quote']

If you want presta tubes then there is an online cycling store www.sportsdirect.co.za. They charge R48 each for conti 20 inch presta tubes with R80 for delivery.

?

i have all the tools' date=' and man power......but No 20" tubes

[/quote']

If you want presta tubes then there is an online cycling store www.sportsdirect.co.za. They charge R48 each for conti 20 inch presta tubes with R80 for delivery.

or send me a pm R30 for tubes and R40 for postage of 6 tubes through sapo smiley1.gif

Learn to live with the shortage of Continental 20 inch tubes with removable presta valves. I get by by opening a section of the tyre with a tyre lever and pouring fuild direcly into the tyre using the cap of a spraypaint can.

This morning I had a brainwave and thought that I can just saw off valves with non-removable cores, tap the bore and screw in a valve. Lo and behold, the thread is some moeruvva proprietary thread with a 4.2 mm shaft, a 4.5mm thread outer diameter and a wierd pitch that will even make an American engineer blush.

Gone is that idea. From now on you are not allowed to call your Ghetto Conversion a Ghetto Conversion if it does not have a non-removable valve core.

Removable valve cores are for pansies.

Learn to live with the shortage of Continental 20 inch tubes with removable presta valves. I get by by opening a section of the tyre with a tyre lever and pouring fuild direcly into the tyre using the cap of a spraypaint can.

?

This morning I had a brainwave and thought that I can just saw off valves with non-removable cores' date=' tap the bore and screw in a valve. Lo and behold, the thread is some moeruvva proprietary thread with a 4.2 mm shaft, a 4.5mm thread outer diameter and a wierd pitch that will even make an American engineer blush.

?

Gone is that idea. From now on you are not allowed to call your Ghetto Conversion a Ghetto Conversion if it does not have a non-removable valve core.

?

Removable valve cores are for pansies.

?

?
[/quote']

thanks Johan i am still safe with the Ghetto part then smiley2.gif smiley2.gif

10am today

cut out the valve from an old road tube.

taped up the rim.

stuck the valve in with some rubber epoxy glue

tightened the nut.

and proceeded with the procedure.

7pm.

its still hard!!!

NB oko was very thick

so half oko half water.

its still hard.

doing the back wheel now.

just a thought what is going to happen if you slash the tire on the trail epoxy wont come loose so you can put another tube in

That is a good point - epoxy glue will be really tough to pry loose and fit a regular tube if you have a side wall slash.

I simply use car type valves (Schrader valve) and this has not failed in over a year. It is really easy to remove the valve and pour stans in.

You cant use the normal epoxy...you will have to use a grinder to get the valve out

You have to use the Epoxy Rubber mend ( the car one)

How do i paste a pic here

The question is though if I have to refill my tyres with sealant and I have a schrader (in other words I have to take a portion of the tyre off to get the sealant in), will the 20 inch tube hold its position against the rim so it seals again?  

The question is though if I have to refill my tyres with sealant and I have a schrader (in other words I have to take a portion of the tyre off to get the sealant in)' date=' will the 20 inch tube hold its position against the rim so it seals again? ?[/quote']

yes they will if you work carefully being butyl rubber they are very pliable so just be carfull that the tube doesnt fold into the tire when you put the tire back on and they will seal again with no issues

Last night I decided to try my hand at Ghetto Tubeless after I scored 2l of moldmaking latex. It was much easier than I thought, 24 hours later, and the cheap rim and non-UST Crossmark is still hard!  :o)

Last night I decided to try my hand at Ghetto Tubeless after I scored 2l of moldmaking latex. It was much easier than I thought' date=' 24 hours later, and the cheap rim and non-UST Crossmark is still hard!  :o) [/quote']

Eish! I hope you diluted the pure Latex with the Ammonia is mentioned. Otherwise, you have a frozen valve and a perfect mold of the inside of your wheel.

Before riding, shake it and make sure it is still liquid. If not, consider it an "integrated tube" that will still leak when punctured.

"Integrated tube" Big%20smile

Yes, I didn't have ammonia (I wrote it on the wifes shopping list Wink)

But I did have some window washing stuff (Windowlene) I hope that will more or less work? I can still hear fluid in the tire though. I also added some fine wood dust. Will it plug a leak? I went for a 10Km ride earlier, but I couldn't find any thorns to test it...

Oh yes, I used the method on your website, works like a bom. Thanks!

hyper72008-11-14 09:02:10