Traffic Circles

Azonic

Ok, so correct me if I'm wrong.

My mother taught me that at a traffic circle, the guy coming in from the right hand side, has right of way, he can go first. However, that's only half to story. That is correct if you both stopped at the circle at the same time. If you stopped before the car coming from the right hand side, YOU can go first.

Here in PE, cars coming from the right hand side just keep going and going and going, even though you were there before they got to the circle.

Am I wrong, or is this just a case of people not knowing the rules of the road?

uhm, person on the right has right of way.

In JHB if you have a taxi you have right of way no matter where you drive, road, pavement, parking lot. Its all good.

From what I've heard, it works like a 4 way stop. The first person there has right of way, but if someone is in the circle at the time, then they have the right of way.

uhm' date=' person on the right has right of way.[/quote']

Correct, IF the two cars stopped at the same time. I'm not going to sit around a few seconds while the car from the right arrives at the circle, so that he can go first. That's stupid.

Okay guys... I grew up in Welkom (Dont tell anyone). So one thing I do know is how a circle works. The guy on your right has right of way... ALWAYS. When you are in the left lane, you can turn left or go straight, but you can not go 3/4 around or more. When you are in the righ-hand lane, you can go straight or 3/4 around the circle, but you can not turn left. If you are in the inside lane in the circle you turn into the righ-hand lane of the road you turn in to, if you are in the outside lane of the circle you turn into the left-hand lane of the road. If you are inside the circle you have right of way... The only time you do not is when there is this yellow diamond sign at the circle, then the road which the sign applies to has right of way... Any questions?

YOU MUST ALWAYS YIELD TO THE RIGHT. IF YOU ARE AT THE CIRCLE AND 100 CARS COME FROM THE RIGHT YOU MUST WAIT (UNLESS SOMEONE GIVES YOU THE GAP)!!

Correct...

At a circle, the Yield rule applies. Therefore, if a car on your right has entered or is entering a circle, you must yield to him. However, if you have sufficient room & time to enter the circle in front of him, without endangering either party, you may do so. I say again - EXACTLY like a sliproad where the Yield principle is applied.

YOU MUST ALWAYS YIELD TO THE RIGHT. IF YOU ARE AT THE CIRCLE AND 100 CARS COME FROM THE RIGHT YOU MUST WAIT (UNLESS SOMEONE GIVES YOU THE GAP)!!

I don't see that as being fair.

It's not about being fair, it's the LAW!!!

It's not about being fair' date=' it's the LAW!!!

[/quote']

'tis so, I'm afraid.

BUt it works!

Your circles in PE must be really, really small if you can't get in ahead of someone or can even see the other guys entering on the opposite side!  Imagine having multiple lane entry/exits, with 5 or more'entry roads.  That would be impossible to do with the 'first to the line' rule.  Never heard of it.

But what if there are 100 cars coming from all sides... who has the right of way then?

Then the car waiting at the circle ONLY yields to the right and so on!!

The UK is probably the best place to see this work properly. They call them 'Round Abouts'!