• Slave

• Cyclewizz

• Trubie

• Andyr249

Top Posters In This Topic

We all know its not about the bike.....

So we need to come up with an appropriate replacement for Yster,

Trippie - triple chainring?

or maybe Yster should stick seeing the lack thereof is a huge problemo!

Waiting for some input here thread members.

Agteros dont feel out' date=' my machine is also made out of Alu.[/quote']

You forget I ride a Trek alu, and my Silverback MTB is also alu, but feels like steelsmiley19.gif

Guest Agteros

You forget I ride a Trek alu' date=' and my Silverback MTB is also alu, but feels like steel[img']https://assets.bikehub.co.za/legacy_images/smilies/smiley19.gif[/img]

ride / rode ...

Your Trek got repossed, you now have a carbon Pinarello FP6 (something like that?)

Yep,I ride with a triple crank (52/42/30ish), 12/25 at back - all grlorious Sora 8 speed :-)

Hey I also ride an Alu bike, but the fork is carbon & I only have 2 chain rings.

I even managed to climb Voortrekker this morning on my big chain ring smiley4.gif.

Slave, thanks. I'm actually glad you never did the race I think you would have freaked out, very big groups, some people riding all over the place and lots of pot holes.

Kieran is out for about 7 weeks but he's young so he'll heal quickly.

Was hoping to come in at worst as 69/84 but alas the flu (cold actually) got the better of me. Darn and the iron is hectically low again.

Seems like I'm going to have to swap the sporting equipment for a lab rat label for the foreseeable future to find out where it goes smiley13.gif smiley19.gif smiley5.gif smiley21.gif smiley11.gif smiley35.gif

Have you ever considered some chronic iron supplements? I'm sure if you ask Kid nicely he can arrange some iron filings for you. smiley2.gif

Iron is not something your body looses much of' date=' as that in the old red blood cells get recycled and re-used. Too much iron in your body is downright dangerous / poisonous. Especially for your heart. So, if you suffer from chronic iron deficiency anaemia there is an underlying reason. Too much iron also interferes with the absorption of calcium and zink.

Some of the major reason for low iron are:

Diet not rich enough in iron

[i'](I am a red meat eater, so I doubt this - iron in meat is more readily absorbed than that in plant food sources)[/i]

Mal/non absorption of iron.

Might be this due to my medical history. Mal-absorption could also be due to a lack of vitamin B (which was tested, and is high enough - not just adequate), or also due to a low level of folic acid (This is found in both my multi vitamin supplement, as well as the Vit B complex supplement I've been taking)

Chronic bleeding

This is plain scary, like where does it go?

Certain cancers

Frightful to the n-th degree, but hopefully not in my case, although some do 'eat' iron.Furthermore, endurance athletes tend to have lower blood iron levels than the general population (This is true for both impact/weight bearing - running, and non weight bearing sports - swimming).

I've found some medical articles indicating dosages to improve the situation, but first will have to undergo all the tests the doctor wants me to do so we can have a greater level of certainty

So... what do I think, and where will the docs go to in the end?

Most probably mal/non absorption (option 2) combined with the lower iron levels in endurance athletes.

To say that this all is frustrating is a massively gross understatement. It really feels like climbing up a mountain(Everest/K2) and finding a locked gate just before the summit!

Thank you for the summary of the world's medical research on iron! smiley2.gif

You forget I ride a Trek alu' date=' and my Silverback MTB is also alu, but feels like steel[img']https://assets.bikehub.co.za/legacy_images/smilies/smiley19.gif[/img]

ride / rode ...

Your Trek got repossed, you now have a carbon Pinarello FP6 (something like that?)

Yep,I ride with a triple crank (52/42/30ish), 12/25 at back - all grlorious Sora 8 speed :-)

A triple and using a 30ish-25 couldn't get you up my hill? smiley2.gif

Guest Agteros

Quite right Andy, I've got two different biokineticists who told me that my quads AND hamstrings are way underpowered smiley1.gif

Scary isn't it? Just imagine if I can get this old engine fired up and running smoothly again!

Quite right Andy' date=' I've got two different biokineticists who told me that my quads AND hamstrings are way underpowered [img']https://assets.bikehub.co.za/legacy_images/smilies/smiley1.gif[/img]

Scary isn't it? Just imagine if I can get this old engine fired up and running smoothly again!

Don't stress too mush OX, IronMan is still a good few months away smiley36.gifsmiley36.gifsmiley36.gif

I thought that you had come right, what happened ?

Do you spend a lot of time around magnets that all your iron leaves your body ?

Hey Kid/Kieran - nice seein you Saturday morning but can you tell me what happened with Kieran in the race? Kid you said he was out for 7 weeks, so not on the Hub?

Geez and what about his bike, is that ok - he said at the start line it was now just how he wanted it !!!!!

Guest Agteros
Don't stress too mush OX' date=' IronMan is still a good few months away [img']https://assets.bikehub.co.za/legacy_images/smilies/smiley36.gif[/img]smiley36.gifsmiley36.gif

I thought that you had come right, what happened ?

Do you spend a lot of time around magnets that all your iron leaves your body ?

So you have quite a bit of time to train for it Indigo! smiley2.gif smiley36.gif

Dunno what the reason for the repeated iron deficiency is... busy trying to figure it

Hey Kid/Kieran - nice seein you Saturday morning but can you tell me what happened with Kieran in the race? Kid you said he was out for 7 weeks' date=' so not on the Hub?

Geez and what about his bike, is that ok - he said at the start line it was now just how he wanted it !!!!!
[/quote']

Well Kieran messed up the tendons, or tenants as Kid calls them, and messed up his bike. I am still not sure how the crash happened though or how many were involved in it.

Hey Kid/Kieran - nice seein you Saturday morning but can you tell me what happened with Kieran in the race? Kid you said he was out for 7 weeks' date=' so not on the Hub?

[/quote']

He was behind me so I'm not too sure what happened.

According to him somebody collided with him from the one side and then somebody else cut in from the other side and this riders foot got stuck in Kieran's front wheel and then Kieran flew over the bike and landed on his head. His right hand got cut in the process, I think it was by the STI as it's all bent and of course he has some road rash. His shoulder is also cracked.

His got 12 stitches and the doc said he'll come right in 6 - 8 weeks with some physio.

The bike suffered a little less damage, the front wheel broke in two places, the RHS STI is stuffed and he needs new handle bar tape, there are a few small scratches on the LHS STI but the rest is ok.

He normally uses the internet at work and I don't think he's been there yet, I'm sure he'll be back online soon.

It seems that this is the year for crashes. Between myself, Ricky Bobby and one opr two others, we got the ball rolling.

Now just about every other day there is a crash / injury / little lie down. Like WTF? What's going on around here? Ha-ha Kieran is not smiling or laughing right now. Sounds painful and damage to the bike, Oi gavey. smiley18.gif

And after more than a year or so Agteros, tells us he doesn't like being called Oxman, backward Ox or Yster. smiley5.gif Dude, Os in English is an Ox, you are a man so you're our Oxman. Oxman = Buddy.

Wouild you prefer we call you Ironless Ox?smiley2.gif (or are you just being your normal contrary self here?) Ok, we get it, you are the chief contender for the wooden spoon award.

Hey Joe, nice to see you again. Have you also come over here to stir it up a bit? smiley36.gif

Kieran, hope you recover soon dude.

Trubes, what input are you looking for mate? Your race result was good. What more can we tell you. Ironless Ox has given us a thesis in iron deficiency, so nothing of value I can add. smiley9.gif

I was looking for input on an appropriate name for Yster, as Oxman prefers to be called something else now, and he doesnt like Carbon, maybe Trippie can work?

Race result is forgotten already, new challenge in 4 weeks, so yes it was ok, I am happy so we moving swiftly along thanks.