Alberton _ JHB South Riders

Slave

So Trubes' date=' it appears you did well. Care to share this (non) special result with us?

And what happened to Kieran? Obviously he fell (more than once).

What injuries?
[/quote']

Thankfully he only fell once.

He's messed up the tenants from his index and middle fingers on his right hand (12 stitches later) & of course he's got some road rash.

Landed on his head, trashed his helmet & clothes.

Out for about 7 weeks but he's looking for an IDT and a few bike spares.

I did ok, finished with the group.

Did a 2:32.

He has tenants in his fingers? I hope they pay him well smiley17.gif

smiley36.gifsmiley36.gifsmiley36.gifsmiley36.gif

I just wish my tenants would pay me their dues.

You know what I mean.

BTW I thought you were feeling sick and your brain was only working at 20% ??

smiley36.gif

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
smiley36.gifsmiley36.gifsmiley36.gifsmiley36.gif

I just wish my tenants would pay me their dues.

You know what I mean.

BTW I thought you were feeling sick and your brain was only working at 20% ??

smiley36.gif

I am and it is but the mental image of little tenants running around kierans fingers was enough to make me feel alert for about 3 minutes.. Thanks for the laugh smiley36.gifsmiley36.gif

Let me clear this up for slave: TENDONS, the kid means TENDONS

So Trubes' date=' it appears you did well. Care to share this (non) special result with us?

And what happened to Kieran? Obviously he fell (more than once).

What injuries?
[/quote']

Thankfully he only fell once.

He's messed up the tenants from his index and middle fingers on his right hand (12 stitches later) & of course he's got some road rash.

Landed on his head, trashed his helmet & clothes.

Out for about 7 weeks but he's looking for an IDT and a few bike spares.

I did ok, finished with the group.

Did a 2:32.

He has people living in his hands?smiley3.gif Don't you mean tendons?. Sounds like a nasty fall. Hope he makes a full recovery. So sorry to hear of your misfortune Kieran.

Sheesh Kid, not a bad result at all. Must be all that base training you're doing. Those miles of secret training starting to pay big dividends. smiley32.gif Well done there.

Nancy, glad to make you laugh.

BTW I actually do mean tenants, they work inside Kieran's hands and on Saturday he cut his hand and a few tenants escaped. smiley2.gif

Decent result there Trubes. Your lack of comment might suggest that you're not altogether happy with it?

Decent result there Trubes. Your lack of comment might suggest that you're not altogether happy with it?

time wise/position wise def not no' date=' but the A bunch raced negatively and a fast time was out of the question from about 5 km's into the race. Not many teams present so it was left to individuals to set the pace, chase down breaks etc.

What I am happy with is my workrate during the race, and I would rate it as the best ever thus far.

For seeding purposes not all that great but about a 12. something which should help getting to and under 10 soon.

After Argus[img']https://assets.bikehub.co.za/legacy_images/smilies/smiley9.gif[/img]smiley11.gif though, things came together nicely in Wilro, and now again, so shouldnt really say I am unhappy!

Looks as if the training is heading in the right direction, which is very positive indeed.

Was hoping to come in at worst as 69/84 but alas the flu (cold actually) got the better of me. Darn and the iron is hectically low again.

Seems like I'm going to have to swap the sporting equipment for a lab rat label for the foreseeable future to find out where it goes smiley13.gif smiley19.gif smiley5.gif smiley21.gif smiley11.gif smiley35.gif

Have you ever considered some chronic iron suppliments? I'm sure if you ask Kid nicely he can arrange some iron filings for you. smiley2.gif

Guest Agteros
Was hoping to come in at worst as 69/84 but alas the flu (cold actually) got the better of me. Darn and the iron is hectically low again.

Seems like I'm going to have to swap the sporting equipment for a lab rat label for the foreseeable future to find out where it goes smiley13.gif smiley19.gif smiley5.gif smiley21.gif smiley11.gif smiley35.gif

Have you ever considered some chronic iron supplements? I'm sure if you ask Kid nicely he can arrange some iron filings for you. smiley2.gif

Iron is not something your body looses much of' date=' as that in the old red blood cells get recycled and re-used. Too much iron in your body is downright dangerous / poisonous. Especially for your heart. So, if you suffer from chronic iron deficiency anaemia there is an underlying reason. Too much iron also interferes with the absorption of calcium and zink.

Some of the major reason for low iron are:

1. Diet not rich enough in iron

1. (I am a red meat eater, so I doubt this - iron in meat is more readily absorbed than that in plant food sources)

[*]Mal/non absorption of iron.

• Might be this due to my medical history. Mal-absorption could also be due to a lack of vitamin B (which was tested, and is high enough - not just adequate), or also due to a low level of folic acid (This is found in both my multi vitamin supplement, as well as the Vit B complex supplement I've been taking)

[*]Chronic bleeding

• This is plain scary, like where does it go?

[*]Certain cancers

• Frightful to the n-th degree, but hopefully not in my case, although some do 'eat' iron.

Furthermore, endurance athletes tend to have lower blood iron levels than the general population (This is true for both impact/weight bearing - running, and non weight bearing sports - swimming).

I've found some medical articles indicating dosages to improve the situation, but first will have to undergo all the tests the doctor wants me to do so we can have a greater level of certainty

So... what do I think, and where will the docs go to in the end?

Most probably mal/non absorption (option 2) combined with the lower iron levels in endurance athletes.

To say that this all is frustrating is a massively gross understatement. It really feels like climbing up a mountain(Everest/K2) and finding a locked gate just before the summit!

Guest Agteros

PS: Red blood cells live for about 120 days (4 months). Their size (and ability to carry oxygen) is directly related to the quantity of iron available in your body when they are formed.

So the low iron levels cause the new red blood cells to be too small and eventually your muscles fatigue too soon when you exert yourself. You cannot really get rid of these inferior cells, but just have to bide your time till they get replaced in the natural scheme of things. Even if I get my iron levels fixed by miracle tonight, it will still take about two months for the results to be shown in my red blood cell size....

Os you just taught me a whole lot! Very interesting, hope you recover in the relavent time frame!

Well done on race results.

Kieran get well soon buddy, no riding partner for the week now smiley19.gif

Guest Agteros
Os you just taught me a whole lot! Very interesting' date=' hope you recover in the relavent time frame!

Well done on race results.

Kieran get well soon buddy, no riding partner for the week now [img']https://assets.bikehub.co.za/legacy_images/smilies/smiley19.gif[/img]

hahaha(copyrighted by Kieran?) just do not use that as background to blood doping / EPO taking smiley2.gif But it does provide the beginning of a base on how it all works smiley1.gif

Guest Agteros

Just read this on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythropoietin (EPO):

Later an NIH-funded researcher at Columbia University discovered a way

to synthesize it. Columbia patented the technique and licensed it to

Amgen. Controversy has ensued over the fairness of the rewards which

Amgen
reaped from NIH-funded work, and Goldwasser was never financially

rewarded for his work.

... Amgen Tour of California ...

How ironic that the guys who holds [the/a] licence to synthesize EPO is sponsoring a cycling race?

Guest Agteros
So does this mean we cannot call you Yster any longer

Yip' date=' although I've never been 'Yster', and the play on agteros to get to Oxman is kinda farcical as well... Remember I'm the guys who cycles with a triple crank on his road bike [img']https://assets.bikehub.co.za/legacy_images/smilies/smiley2.gif[/img]

Rather rename  Indigo Kid to Indigo Iron (as he has all these Ironman / triathlon dreams for other people)

So we have an Oxman who prefers to be called Carbon in stead of Yster!

Welcome Mr C.

Enjoy your staysmiley4.gif

Trubie2010-05-25 00:06:50

Archived