Indoor training

Shesha

Hi all,

With winter steadily looming, i have been convinced to invest in an indoor trainer.

I am looking at the Tacx roller T1025 (80ml diametre rollers/adjustable and fold-up)

2 Questions though:

1) Are the rollers the best for indoor training? I hear they don't give enough resistance and are thus just good for warming up and not training. whats the verdict?

2) Is the Tacx T1025 a good choice?

Any advice appreciated

I got a Tacx indoor trainer that fits on the back wheel.Got different levels to choose from,i never ever use it so if you intrested PM me......

imo rollers without resistance would not be suitable for winter training, you will only be able to spin on them (unless you radicaly chage the gearing on your bike). They are good for improving your pedaling technique and balancesmileys/smiley4.gif, but no good to follow a structured training program.

If you can look for a trainer with adjustable magnetic or fluid resistance perhaps combined with a fan (on the rear roller), the fan ones can tend to be a bit noisy so your choice also depends where you will be using it.

I have a cateye cyclosimulator which is rather old compared to what is available nowadays, but it still does the job, unfortunatelly I am not up to date with what is available now so cannot recommend a particular make or model.

Shesha... rather get a mountain bike. You have Tokai Forest and Dear park for a back yard! Indoor training is boring...

Speaking of which - did you know that for a small fee you can ride in Bellville's velodrome? Sure - that's also a bit boring going round and round and round and round but it beats staying in one place watching Egoli!

Very true Bertus...but the idea of sitting in traffic after work to get to the forrest...4 days a week is not fun. Wil leave the outdoors for clear days and think I'll do the indoor thing when it's dark outside

Spinningsmileys/smiley4.gif!  Much more fun than sitting at home alone on your indoor trainer.

Just my one liner for today.

Why do mag trainers not generally also measure power? The resistance they give is exactly what is used to measure electricity (if I remember correctly).

Or maybe they do? What indoor trainers measure power?

Tacx Flow indoor trainer measures power. Also its reasonably quiet. Ive had mine since last winter and im very happy with it. Did all my jock training on it.

Just remember that trainers eat tires, so do yourself a favour and get that orange conti plastic training tire when you buy your trainer. (And then maybe a spare set of wheels so you dont have to keep changing tires!)