New to mountain biking...

SlickOrange

Hi there,

I am considering to get into mountain biking, I have always liked cycling, but I have never been serious about it, I just like going for a ride every once in a while.

I want to buy a new bike, but I really have no clue about the sport, or what brands to buy etc. So far I am also not planning to get very serious about the sport, I just want to have fun at first.

I have about R4500 to spend on a bike, what would be my best options? Also what else will I need?

Thanks in advance..

Karsten Cycles 0128081880  talk to Neil or Petri

Remember you must have a helmet and shoes   do you have R4500 to spend on the bike or is it your entire budget.

You cannot go wrong with Silverback........  there whole range is competitively priced and ride really well

Other wise I have a MonoC Quattro Alu 18" for R3000 neg.

Complete bike

20081127_100613_Monoc.JPG

Welcome SlickOrange to the hub...

why not borrow a helmet and go try a bike at Northern Farn this w-end???

Wow.... Thanks for the prompt replies! And the help... Seems like people are very friendly here. :) Cant go this weekend, but thanks for the idea.

At the moment I don't want to spend more than R4500 for everything. How much does a helmet and tubeless conversion go for, and do I need shoes?

you dont need shoes.

game sells certified helmets for R150 (gonna get flamed for this)

Mr Price sport sells 'camelpaks' for R100

Hatfield cycles does a cheap conversion kit

dont worry about tubeless now. To much hassle with topping up and so on at this point. Get yourself some slime tubes that wont dry up in the tubes so you dont have to worry about punchures, get any helmet that complies to the safty standards, a water bottle and cage and gloves... All set for your maiden voyage

then as you want to get deaper into the sport (which you will, it is VERY addictive), then you can upgrade your kit and bike/bikes

then go out and have fun...

(PS...  the hub can also be a rather nasty place at times... Wink )

Second Loon on the tubeless... save it for later. Decent shorts, decent saddle, approved lid (with as many vents as you can afford) and comfy gloves will make your riding that much more fun. And rather get a 2nd hand bike than a new cheapie, you'll eventually have to replace parts but that's gonna happen anyway any you'll appreciate the quality in the long run.

What kind of riding do you see yourself doing?

A few things I would have done differently if I knew then what I know now:

I would have spent more on the bike and gotten something with a proper fork. I replaced this already with a good second-hand fork. Either that or I would have gotten a second-hand bike.

I would have bought my Olympic riding shoes straight away, and not wasted money on the Shimano riding/hiking combo shoes.

I would have attended a skills clinic much sooner. It really boosted my riding skills a lot, and therefore my enjoyment of the sport.

I would have hooked up with hubbers for hub rides a lot sooner & more frequently. It really is different when you have a nice social group.

I think that's about it.

Thanks for all the replies! Really appreciated.

So far I want to buy a new bike. At first I just wanted a bike thats better than my old crappy Peugot Airwolf... Had some fun on it when I went out with some friends, but I realized I need something proper. (The shocks doesn't even work anymore...) But the more I read about mountain biking the greater it sounds! Also, I tested a proper bike and I was SHOCKED at how much better it felt than my stupid bike, so there is a chance that I might actually take this up as a sport.

At the moment I am looking at the Scwinn Mesa Ltd:

http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2008&Brand=Schwinn&Model=Mesa+LTD&Type=bike

I can get the 2008 model for R5200, is this a good deal?

The Silverback Dakota is a much better buy. At the moment Silverback seems to give best value in this price range. GT Avalanche is also a better buy. I'd go for one of those. Look for the bike with the best shock (RockShox better than Suntour) and best brakes (try get Avid 3 or similar).

Don't rule out the second hand option. You could pick up a R9000 bike for R4500 if you're patient. You can pick up some great buys on the Hub. <its like buying a second hand car- when you drive it out the showroom its value drops up to 30%.