Puff adders in Tokai forest....

ShortLegs

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw 2 mating on the tar road up to the tower a while back.

Maybe this is their offspring.

Hy het sy vrou in die pad gesteek. Seker te veel gif ingekry....LOL

This has nothing to do with snakes but oh I have to tell this story...My works boring so here goes.. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Put yourself in my shoes otherwise this wont be funny..

Me and this crazy mate of mine is on a night ride in the Knysna forest.. deep...I have no Idea where we are and he has half an Idea, we have about an hour of battery left between us and its 10pm at night.

The thing about the knysna forrest is you dont know what could be lurking about out there.. the bergie, the YETI, the Leopard's or the DJ dude that killed those girls.. Anyway, I also know this mate of mine (and he is one crazy boy and have no fear, We have had more near death experiences together than beers.

So.. now that I?ve painted the picture... We are flying down this dirtroad, He has better lights than me so Im on the edge trying to keep up, cause I sure as hell dont want to fall off the pace(the boogyman /yeti will get me) so we are storming down into Pitch blackness... Imagination running Ramped (to many Predator movies) ... and next thing I notice there are things running In the bush beside us...FAAAAARK My heart almost jumps out my through!! and next thing there are two Very large things standing upright In the middle of the road which In my mind Is either the Effen YETI or BEARS!! So needless to say I almost let out a squeak and a hellova *** but I didnt want to aggravate the THINGs..

Turns out theres a bunch of horses around and there?s a dead one right in front of Morne (bud) Just lying there looking dead while the others were frightened by us and got revved up on the Back legs(whatever thats called), the otheres were all running around scared. Now we were standing there both scared out of our minds and like 10 horses staring at us from all around.

sh*t I don?t think I had ever been that scared in my life, but Is very funny When thinking back.

If you guys are in Knysna area over December, bring your lights and PM me! You will tell your friends back home about it.

Oh, theres Puffys there as well.

At the start of the KZN Expedition a few weeks back, the announcer told us that there were a couple of black mambas in Giba Gorge (where the start was). I was chatting to a local MTBers at one of the porting sections and he mentioned that he'd been chased by one before. I wouldn't want to encounter any especially on those steep uphills where you can't go much faster than walking pace.

Hey Hendrik s

Where exactly is "meurants single track" As i am very keep to ride some new track

There is so many that he has done now. This one was on the middel contour if you ride right to end on the left hand side of the valley. You reach the dead end and then the track start right in front of you.

This has nothing to do with snakes but oh I have to tell this story...My works boring so here goes.. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Put yourself in my shoes otherwise this wont be funny..

Me and this crazy mate of mine is on a night ride in the Knysna forest.. deep...I have no Idea where we are and he has half an Idea, we have about an hour of battery left between us and its 10pm at night.

The thing about the knysna forrest is you dont know what could be lurking about out there.. the bergie, the YETI, the Leopard's or the DJ dude that killed those girls.. Anyway, I also know this mate of mine (and he is one crazy boy and have no fear, We have had more near death experiences together than beers.

So.. now that I?ve painted the picture... We are flying down this dirtroad, He has better lights than me so Im on the edge trying to keep up, cause I sure as hell dont want to fall off the pace(the boogyman /yeti will get me) so we are storming down into Pitch blackness... Imagination running Ramped (to many Predator movies) ... and next thing I notice there are things running In the bush beside us...FAAAAARK My heart almost jumps out my through!! and next thing there are two Very large things standing upright In the middle of the road which In my mind Is either the Effen YETI or BEARS!! So needless to say I almost let out a squeak and a hellova *** but I didnt want to aggravate the THINGs..

Turns out theres a bunch of horses around and there?s a dead one right in front of Morne (bud) Just lying there looking dead while the others were frightened by us and got revved up on the Back legs(whatever thats called), the otheres were all running around scared. Now we were standing there both scared out of our minds and like 10 horses staring at us from all around.

sh*t I don?t think I had ever been that scared in my life, but Is very funny When thinking back.

If you guys are in Knysna area over December, bring your lights and PM me! You will tell your friends back home about it.

Oh, theres Puffys there as well.

[/quote']

great storey Bos!!!! were crying right now laughing!!!!

Glad you took the time, I still feel the chills down my back...the YETI bra, I beleve in the YETI that night!

sh*t man. That forest is scary enough in the day. Dont think i could go in there at night. isnt there like real ghost thereSmile

Exactly bro!! Oh hell! I should tell you the story about the huge baboon, but I will save it for another day..  Waar is jy vandaan Hendrik? Ken jy daai bos? The HIlls have EYES!!

(domestique vi jou!)

In Stellenbosch. My ken vir Morne Gardner baie goed daar? lui dit n klokkie. Hy bly daar op n plaas diep in die bos!

Ek ken hom, Roady, strong like bull! gaawe klong. Nou die malletjie/ partner in crime is ook n Morne' mar nie dieselfde een nie, hy het by die bikeshop gewerk. As jy weer vir Morne Gardner sien moet jy hom vra oor morne, mal klong, Hy sal my ook ken, Die bynaam "Bos" het nie maklik gekom nie, mar genoeg sulke stories het my daar gekry.  Morne(my buddy) se bynaam is Mornster, haha.. ja ons het altyd lekker *** angejaag. Hy is nou in wales.

Goedgan, eks more af, hoeka oppad daarna toe, mar vir n troue die keer.

Saw this one at Grabouw 2 Sat's ago - lekka moeilik...

Bet the family entrants for the next day's Jolly Jester would have reconsidered if they knew.

Was only 45cm long - anybody know what it is?20081209_062531_Small.jpg

Puffy!

They generally go into that "pose"when about to strike. When they get peeved they genrally puff and hiss up a storm.
Slave2Love2008-12-09 07:27:43

This is a Berg Adder (not a puffy). Does anyone actually know of any MTBer actually being bitten by a venomous snake while MTBing? Snakes are really not worth worrying about - you just need to keep your eyes & ears open and give them their space. Oh, and practise your bunny hops!

Took the photo with a good zoom:-)

Must admit its only the 2nd time in 14yrs mtbing that I came across a snake - and this one was small enough to jump over no problem