Puff adders in Tokai forest....

ShortLegs

Any truth in the rumour of puff adders being introduced into Tokai forest?

Should make for interesting dog walking and provided the intention is to curb the rampant MTBer population, I'm all for it LOL

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that the other day as well. It kinda freaked me out a little as most of the Adder family are quite dangerous. 

Guest colonel
I heard that the other day as well. It kinda freaked me out a little as most of the Adder family are quite dangerous. 

MOST?? All of them are dangerous, the cousins, aunts, uncles and close relatives aswell not just the Adder family.

MOST?? All of them are dangerous' date=' the cousins, aunts, uncles and close relatives aswell not just the Adder family.
[/quote']

Not the Night Adder, which will give you a nasty headache after a bite. But it's not fatal.

Will give new meaning to snake-bite on your tyres man.LOL

What makes puffies dangerous is that they are "lazy" and rely on theri camoflage (spelling) for concealment rather than slither away when danger lurks. Most people get "but" because they don't see the things and stand on them.

That's one of the reasons I'm a poefter roadie.

Saw 2 mating on the tar road up to the tower a while back.

I take it this is a puffadder verson of unsafe sex

There are puffies in those forrests anyways. I have seen a few up at the silvermine climbing crags before, and I know the puffs love pine forests. lots of little critters to munch on there. Also have seen one or two on table mountain and one was seen a little while ago coming down the chain section on Lion's head!

Main thing is PLEASE educate yourself on what they look like. Not only when they are fully grown, but as nippers too, as a baby puff bight is JUST as harmful as a big boy. DO NOT blindly step over logs in the forests. Puffs love to lie and hide there. If you do get bitten by any snake, make sure that you either know EXACTLY what it is, or kill it, so that the medics can start to administer the correct anti-venom right away.

A puff adder's venom will start to digest the tissue from the inside. A bight on the leg will very quickly destroy your calf muscle etc. Be sure not to panic, elevate the injured limb. Get help immediately, keep the heart rate down. DO NOT use a tourniquet or try to cut the wound and suck out the venom.

Ideally, just try to avoid the little buggers altogether. They are nasty!

MOST?? All of them are dangerous' date=' the cousins, aunts, uncles and close relatives aswell not just the Adder family.
[/quote'] Nowhere near as "dangerous" as mankind I can assure you my friend!!

[/quote'] Nowhere near as "dangerous" as mankind I can assure you my friend!!

oh no, here we go!! yes global warming bla di blaaaaaaaDead

go tell this to my friend who has NO CALF MUSCLE left from a puff adder bight!

Hey bust great practical advice there.

Only thing isif you're out there on your MTB, you're gonnalook helluva funny elevating your leg if you get bit by one of these nasties.

Few years ago, we were up in Kruger National Park and I almost stepped on one when I got outa the car at Punda Maria. They are scary criters.

There are also cobras lurking throughout those mountains.

Be paricularly wary of streams and rocky gullies where there is water.

They like frogs.