Puff adders in Tokai forest....

ShortLegs

Saw a fairly large' date=' and very dead Puff Adder in Tokai yesterday early evening on the Jeep track just below Vasbyt. Seems it was run over by one of the trucks as it was quite *flat*, but unmistakeably a Puff Adder.

[/quote']

I saw the same mashed puffy then on a late ride two days later almost rode over one approaching the big corner uphill from faerie glen! 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rode tokai Last night, didnt see any puffys, just lank babbaboons.

How nice Did Murant and the team fix the singletrack!, nice job, I love the main middle singletrack, Oh hell and especially the second half one can really haul ass!! The section with the drop as you go round the tree before the rollers and smal jumps.. sweet ass.. Pitty It was done so late, as Im afraid many of the burms will not harden because not getting wet which normally hardens the stuff. but hey, at least I rode it before season, cause When we all get back from our holidays next year Im afraid most of it will be trashed again.. but lets have faith!

Oh and the baboons.. what do you guys do If youre alone ant the whole pack is sitting in the trail ahead of you?? Happend to me last night on the "fairy garden" trail (what a *** name) and I had to turn around and go back up. Do you guys just barge right through the middle? cause they dont seem to be frightened by us no more.

Saw this one at Grabouw 2 Sat's ago - lekka moeilik...

Bet the family entrants for the next day's Jolly Jester would have reconsidered if they knew.

Was only 45cm long - anybody know what it is?20081209_062531_Small.jpg
\

Berg or Mountain Adder

Length

40 - 50 cm average; 60 cm maximum

Description:

This is the most common poisonous snake in the Natal Drakensberg and is found on rocky mountain slopes at all altitudes, even the escarpment.  It has a relatively narrower, longer head than the Puff Adder, is more lightly built, and has a much more patterned appearance, this consisting of two longitudinal light bands between which lie two wavy patterns joined at the middle.  Below the longitudinal bands are some pale spots.  The Berg Adders most commonly encountered are nowhere near the above lengths - 10 to 20 cm is a much more representative size.  These younger snakes are dark grey to black, with light grey patterning.  The rarer, larger adults may be dark brown with yellow / fawn patterning, and can become fat enough to be mistaken for a Puff Adder.

The Berg Adder is responsible for the most bites amongst hikers and climbers, since it is in the habit of sunning itself on small rock ledges as well as paths.  Many of the recorded bites have been to the hands and fingers, inflicted as hikers and climbers have attempted to clamber up steep slopes using ledges as hand-holds.  It is a very irritable snake and is easily provoked into biting, although it prefers to escape from danger while making a loud hissing noise.  Very small specimens hiss with such considerable vigour that their whole body vibrates, and it sounds like they are squeaking.

Biology:

The diet consists mainly of small rodents and the nestlings of ground-living birds, but also includes lizards and snakes.  On average 8 to 15 live young are produced at a time.

Poisoning Symptoms:

The venom is neurotoxic (nerve-destroying), which is unusual for the adder species of southern Africa.  It causes paralysis of cranial nerves III, IV and VI.  The bite area and affected limb will show some swelling.  Within an hour of being bitten vision will be impaired and the eyelids will droop.  These early symptoms can cause confusion with the bite of a Rinkals, except that breathing difficulties never occur.  The senses of taste and smell are usually lost.  After 24 hours paralysis of the eye, tongue and mouth muscles occurs and usually persists for 3 to 4 days.  Normal vision is usually recovered by the sixth day, but visual abnormality may persist until the fifteenth day.

Treatment:

Treat as an emergency.  Calm and immobilise the victim.  Use a suction kit if you have one (the Aspivenin kit is highly recommended by most snake handlers).  Apply a pressure bandageContact a Poison Information Centre and hospitalise the victim as soon as possible.  Because of paralysis of the tongue the victim will experience difficulty swallowing and excess saliva will have to be removed artificially.  Antivenin has no effect against the venom of this species.

Remarks:

Although the symptoms of a Berg Adder bite can be alarming, they are nowhere near as serious as those of the Puff Adder or Rinkals.  Berg Adder bites are seldom fatal, although young or physically weak victims can succumb to complications.  The main concern is to get the victim to a hospital before complete paralysis of the tongue sets in.

wackwack2008-12-12 00:55:07

How nice Did Murant and the team fix the singletrack!' date=' nice job, I love the main middle singletrack, Oh hell and especially the second half one can really haul ass!! The section with the drop as you go round the tree before the rollers and smal jumps.. sweet ass.. Pitty It was done so late, as Im afraid many of the burms will not harden because not getting wet which normally hardens the stuff. but hey, at least I rode it before season, cause When we all get back from our holidays next year Im afraid most of it will be trashed again.. but lets have faith!

Oh and the baboons.. what do you guys do If youre alone ant the whole pack is sitting in the trail ahead of you?? Happend to me last night on the "fairy garden" trail (what a *** name) and I had to turn around and go back up. Do you guys just barge right through the middle? cause they dont seem to be frightened by us no more.
[/quote']

Agree that the work done on the trails is excellent, and was so needed as some of the trails were starting to get into a state. Some of the new stuff has been made to easy though, and there isn't much challenge on it... but that's another whole discussion.

As for the baboons .... I just ride through them. They always move off, and as long as you don't try intimidate the alph-male you should be fine. I'm always going slowly (because I can only go slowly what with 1 wheel and all) and they just get up and walk off when I ride through their troop.

• 3 weeks later...

Iv'e been up there 4 times in the last week, and seen puffys every time.

The trails are looking, and riding much better - Thanks Murant and boys.

Baboons are cool, never had any issues with them.

I was told never to show your teeth to them - which is diificult not to do when you're puffing like a steam train and about to cough up your liver on lap 3. And never to throw anything at them. They throw back. Hard.

Don't know how true either of those gems are, but i stick to them anyway.

But i'm thinking that if we were riding as fast as we should be, then we shouldn't even notice the snakes and the monkeys.

• 2 weeks later...

I came across a large [1.2 meter] Boomslang at Tokai yesterday. I was riding up at the top trails and came across the snake when I was resting. He was standing up about 50cm and slowly moved off into the bushes. He was black/very dark with a yellow/green underside.

Yeah, there is a "resident" boomslang that hangs around near the climbing crags at Silvermine. Had him cross our line on one of the walls about a meter above my head.

They are quite docile though.

Its great to see so many hubbers with an appreciation for our reptiles. They really are an exciting aspect to the thrill of MTBing in Africa. Boomslangs are regulars around Jonkershoek but nromally move off very quickly. Its nice to be able to see them going about their business undisturbed so relish each such ocasion.

Yeah' date=' there is a "resident" boomslang that hangs around near the climbing crags at Silvermine. Had him cross our line on one of the walls about a meter above my head.

They are quite docile though.
[/quote']

I've seen many snakes while rock climbing in the Cape. Mostly it's been Cape Cobra, puffies and a few boomslange. Especially out bouldering. Often they like to bask in the sun on top of boulders, and they make homes in the horizontal cracks and seams. It has always been a fear of mine, out on a lead, pull up onto a mantel and get greeted by a cobra! This is when I'd be very happy to test my gear placements!!

Drop for drop though, the boomslang is the deadliest snake in Africa, but there hasn't been a single death from one in the Cape. Still, this one I saw was not phased by me at all. Had he been in a low lying branch hanging over the trail I'd have never seen him. Even the photos I took he looks like a branch. Very beautiful, but very scary, and if you ride in the areas not so frequented by hikers/bikers, the snakes are there.

Screw the snakes. You need to be on da look out for them elephants!

20090113_060943_Picture_640b.jpg<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Tell me thats In knysna somewere? I logged 33 hours of riding in and around Knysna this holiday with some Old local friends, new friends and had such a blast. Found new trils & singletrack that I never new existed.

Did the oyster festival route and what a classic, I havnt done it for a couple of years but I am so doing it this year. the singletrack at the end of petrus se brand (around60km) is seriously one of the best ever.. just fast flowing stuff with drops &  turns that test your nerves and my "no brakes" theory (quite simple, If you dont slow down you dont have to get up to speed again so you save energy and time).. anyway on to the point.

Warren, A friend of mine, rode some trail and he said he noticed a puddle of blood in the dirtroad in front of him and when he looked around him he saw a leopard with a buck in its jaws in the tree above him.

He must have shat himself!

Tell me thats In knysna somewere?

No, that sign is in Tokai, on the way to Silvermine on the upper road. It's not for elephants though! The trail it's on is called 'Elephant trail' and it's a hiking trail that starts up at Silvermine and winds down to Tokai arboretum. This trail happens to be one of the sickest single tracks at Tokai (or so I have heard Wink, just don't get caught!)

nO, it was taken in Tokai!  Can you believe it. LOL<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Yes, Knysna routes are the best.  

When oh when will we be able to buy oakleys with build in digital cameras?!  The technology development is just tooo slow for me.  Just imagine the pic your bud could have taken of them buck eating big cat!

Got this one on Lynnwood road the other day......about 10cm long......small fella....

Ewe kordaat.........hewig ontsteld oor die karre wat so naby aan hom ry....

20090113_064821_Photo-0040.jpg
Spinnekop2009-01-13 06:52:56

Was cycling at Lebanon and I had an eyeball to eyeball with a puffy at the top of the hill near the restricted area.

I should not have said anything about the restricted area.

Damn.

Anyway the puff was smoking his magic dragon and was chilled.