Calling all Ironman athletes

nkob

nkob: I also did a few of the Leppin Ironmans in the 1980's. What worked for me was a banana or two strapped to the bike frame just to put the "murg terug in die pype"!

Swissvan: also remeber the one that finished at Kyalami? Was one of the hottest (temperature-that is!)races I ever did!

Thanks BS. How about choice of shorts. Is it a good idea to change shorts at transitions? How are those Jaggad shorts with the removable padding? Someone told me yesterday that its better to have dry kit after the swim. Does this make a difference?

Personaly I found riding in wet shorts (cycling) quite comfie, as long as it was fresh water, sea water um not so lekker after awhile especialy if there is lots of foam (salt) around.

On a IM event rather take a few minutes longer at the change over to get changed into something comfy, for the average guy those few minutes spent changing (read relaxing) can be benifical.

FOURBAR: Yep I did 2 that finished at Kyalami, the 2 lap run did not go down well with me, that section thru bluehills was a beeech

On clothing, well, everyone will have their own likes & dislikes...........

Jaggad makes an exelent product, the removable pad is nice because you don't have to change a whole kit, just he padding.

The question you have to ask yourself is:

Am I going for a top 10 placing, or a top 3 age group finnish? If so, you'll have to invest in a tri-suit, or padded swimwear with a singlet top.

If not, what do you usually wear when doing a 180km bike ride? Or a 42km run? Use the same clothing. It will take you 2min longer to get dressed but then you're going to "enjoy" the day so much more!

Do not underestimate the value of fresh socks after the bike ride either!

I'll let go of one of my "secrets". Bodyglide antifriction formula. Put this EVERYWHERE you expect to chafe, or sit on, for extended time. You will not believe what a difference this makes! They sell for R80 for the large container at Cape union mart.

Oh yes! Have a big bottle of fresh water handy when coming into T1. This is to rinse salt water from "sensitive" areas as well as washing sand from your feet. Extra towels as well.

As you can see, this race needs to be planned well, and the plan needs to be raced.

Can't wait.

In the mean time I'll be doing the half distance in Van Der Bijl first weekend in Feb, just to go through the motions................

Enjoy the training!

I agree with BaieSukkel, it is worth the time to get into Cycle shorts. It won't take a minute and it is definitely worth it to get into running shorts.

On the nutrition side of things; I take my own gels as the Powerbar gel is to thick for me to get down. I suggest trying it before hand if you can use it, it is something less to carry. They hand out bottles with both water and energy drink on the bike, I think Powerbar stuff. Again rather try it before hand.

Good luck with the training, the race is awesome and when you finish you will realise that it was worthwhile training all those hours. Remember to enjoy it.