Why the MTN Bike park is NOT World Class...

vaulter1

The middle straight has a second option with smaller jumps specifically to cater for the little ones. ?

those smaller jumps option too...

Have you heard much about that TEAK place?

Sorry, not sure who taught me English...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The middle straight has a second option with smaller jumps specifically to cater for the little ones.  

Good to hear' date=' some of us adults will be using those smaller jumps option too...

Have you heard much about that TEAK place?[/quote']

TEAK place? Nope. Sorry. It is a place to ride MTBs?

Make no mistake' date=' the kiddies love it... It is about the only place they ride while being in full sight of mom who is sipping her coffee!  [/quote']

I wanna go ride in full sight of the Mommies sipping their coffee Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile.

I wafted through this whole issue and apart from a headache, I cant see any problems with the posts.

Some people put forward their opinion, so what, if it dosnt effect you, why should you worry.?

Some people said it wasnt their ideal, so what, if it dosnt effect you, why should you worry.?

Some folk said their may be inherant dangers, so what, if it dosnt effect you, why should you worry.?

The fact is, nothing will ever suit everybody, thats life, if you enjoy it, great thats all that matters.!

Yes, busy with construction I believe. It has a BMX track, 4X track and about 7km of trails already. There is a restaurant and shop there too. Not sure who owns it, but they have lots of cash it seems. I stand to be corrected, but I think they are building a downhill run too. It is just past the traffic circle you head towards Lanseria on the Rhino/Lion Reserve on the Tweefontein road in Kromdraai.

Moan moan moan moanDead I don't get you people. I agree whole heartedly with Hog.

Vaark mense hou op kla en ry julle blerrie fietse.

Moan moan moan moanDead I don't get you people. I agree whole heartedly with Hog.

Vaark mense hou op kla en ry julle blerrie fietse.

Angry

Stop agreeing with me! I need something to bitch and moan about! Angry

Tongue

Guest Agteros

Stage 1 of CradleQuest was held at Teak place

And the Teak Trek ...   some 'nice' uphills on each 20km lap!!!

Yes' date=' busy with construction I believe. It has a BMX track, 4X track and about 7km of trails already. There is a restaurant and shop there too. Not sure who owns it, but they have lots of cash it seems. I stand to be corrected, but I think they are building a downhill run too. It is just past the traffic circle you head towards Lanseria on the Rhino/Lion Reserve on the Tweefontein road in Kromdraai.[/quote']

Sounds great! Will check it out for sure!

The other park sounds great, it's great to have all the choices. I've ridden the MTN bike park it's great. If you have some point of view thats very nice. If you have some criticism try telling Geoff or leave a note @ the bike park. All the people involved have worked hard to accommodate everyone and all the skill levels. If you want the world you're in to improve try help out instead of tearing things down. The pump track might be the best part of the whole deal what a workout!

I agree with Zidane. If you have a point you want to raise: speak to Geoff.

If you think the place is not up to your standards then dont go there. There are many of us who love the place Smile and remember that a lot of newbies look at this site so by dissing it you could be ruining it for them - who knows the newbie may go there once, love it and decide they need a new bike - which they buy from the hub! One big happy family. Just stop dissing the park. Angry

Well 13 pages and I thought I'd drop in on my thread again and pick up a couple of conversation stubs...

that track is from pump track nation

and the design for the one at the MTN bike park is taken from The Fix Bike Shop in Boulder CO, though it still feels a bit more shrunken than the dimensions quoted by Lee for The Fix.  It is a very tight design and maybe for the market (non-pro) they should have gone with a slightly more open one - figure of 8 with an easy outside loop or something - but I'm no pro so I won't split hairs but I find it a bit tough to maintain focus for more than a few rounds.

the gent lee invented pump tracks i would like to see you ride one properly i find most people talk but know one builds...

I'm assuming when you say that Lee McCormack "invented" pump tracks it's in a more figurative sense, given that it's actually a phenomenon progressing from BMX to Australian Downhillers training in the off-season (look up the anecdote in his book).  Don't get me wrong, I love Lee's site, have bought both his books, and think his skill is extraordinary but I'm a stickler for technicalities.

...maybe we should have more building and less talking and tracks would get better

Well actually, I have built trails before, back home in the States and Canada.  Though I am by no means a master builder, I take orders well and swing a pick straight so point me to some buildable land and I'll lend the muscle.  I am in the process of trying to contact the parks service regarding the building of a bike area in my local park so we will see what becomes of that - can I write you down on the list of volunteers if all goes well?

I agree with Zidane. If you have a point you want to raise: speak to Geoff.

I tried... The first night that they had an "open house" for hubbers I stopped by on my way out and kindly gave a constructive comment to Geoff about the lack of signage and warning for drops and gaps (not just the drop-zone ones).  I was told that they would be putting up sufficient signage on the easier routes and that if you were on a Black route you "should expect anything" or ride the easier ones.  I have no doubt that in other interactions Geoff might be a great guy and a good trail builder but I'll pass on lending my advice again when the reply is so curt.

...Just stop dissing the park. 

WTF!  This is a public forum.  I did not title the thread "Why the MTN Bike park sucks!" I was trying to comment on what aspects of the park I felt should be improved before calling it "world class". I cannot speak for the other posters on this forum but I've now been there 6 times, bought another 10 pass ticket and intend to go back there once they finally sort out the drainage on the BMX track.  So it is good enough for my money - it just could be better.

no figure of 8 was allowed as we were told the track was not allowed to cross as it makes it to dangerous.The track is from page 19 of pump track nation and is bigger than his. We had a huge slope that we had to build on and all sand was moved by hand.I think that for a first attempt it is great.The problem is xc bikes need to drop their seats to ride it.Give it a go a a jump bike or a bmx and see how it rides

Sean I have to agree on the right bike for the track. My play bike on the track is awesome. I've had a few times where I managed to get the bike just airborne enough to give me a good fright! I normally use the brakes quite a lot through there as well, since I prefer my wheels in contact with the ground. I mean, what's the use of spending good money on rubber if you're not going to use it? LOL