Buying a new mtb

garthzga

garthzga, I have a spare Schwinn Mesa for people to try out MTBing. If you're not sure if you will take to riding, we can go out for a ride sometime. I also live in Jhb, so easy enough to set up

Thanks for the offer but Im not sure my wife would be too impressed with me borrowing an "unknown womens bike" ... he he. I have been out with a friend a few times on one of their spare bike's and did enjoy the difference between Road and MTNbiking. MTNbiking seems a lot more relaxed, Road riding has more of a group mentality.  What areas do you ride in

Thanks for the offer but Im not sure my wife would be too impressed with me borrowing an "unknown womens bike" ... he he.

She is no "unknown women" She's MichH. Mother hen of the newbie MTBers. If she can't get you to like MTBing, then your not destined to ever enjoy it.

For that price your not gonna get much new. Have a look at the Merida 100V. they go for about R3500. They have V-brakes and very cool paint scheme. Otherwise look for a second hand one. Just remember a second hand one will look second hand. They get bought to get ridden and not like their hoity-toity' date=' arty-farty, namby-pamby road counterparts that gets locked up in temperature controlled rooms after each ride.

[/quote']

You reckon, seen some guys mtb's that will put a brand new bike to shame, no idea how some of these people keep their mtb's in such condition...guess it's just wash, wash, wash after each and every ride and replacing scratched parts.

No disrepect but she would have to get past my wife first

Ah garthzga, I am happily married and wasn't planning on taking you out just the two of us anyway. The guys on here know me well enough, I have organised 3 rides of approx 12 riders each in the last 2 months, I've lent my bike to poor Mintsauce when he was up here (poor because he really is used to better things!). My Schwinn has been borrowed for the 24 hour in December, and has already been used by my roadie friend who is converting to The Dark Side.

But if you have already tried it out, then the offer is of no consequence, I thought you may be looking to buy and then try, and thought trying and then buying was a better option.

And your wife is always welcome to come riding with me!

MichH, I appreciate the offer very much of the loan bike.

Its so amazing how much more MtBers are willing to help.

Once I have the bike I would love to join a group ride. What area do you ride in?

By the way if you could get my wife to ride I would fall off the back of my chair. She thinks riding a bicycle for fun is nuts but humours me anyway.

we've ridden emarentia, albert's farm and on sun we went up the spruit all the way past witkoppen

it was amazing Big%20smile

we've ridden emarentia' date=' albert's farm and on sun we went up the spruit all the way past witkoppen

it was amazing Big%20smile
[/quote']

and we've done Northern Farm and Logwood.

Well, DUH!

1. Mountain bikes are SPOSED to be scratched.  Houding y'know!

2. With mountain bikes size really doesn't count 'cause you spend half your time falling off the things!

Well' date=' DUH!

1. Mountain bikes are SPOSED to be scratched.  Houding y'know!

2. With mountain bikes size really doesn't count 'cause you spend half your time falling off the things!
[/quote']

don't scare him now LOL

i add to my beauties but it aint every time i ride

Bored Girl, you must see the massive bruise on my thigh, after my endo on Saturday at Logwood, I fell again on the Spruit in the thick sand and landed on the same bruise! It's now the size of my palm, but thanks to Traumeel it's fading fast!