mavic vs. xt mtb rims

Apache

This one is the best. Still from the www.fulcrumwheels.com comix.

This refers to a front wheel. The subtleties should not escape my fiercer technical critics though. I've left a typographical clue at the place where you're supposed to laugh.

New hub with thru-axlehole

Thru-axle technology is already implemented in mountain bikes dedicated to the most demanding uses. The introduction of this solution' date=' with a 15 mm axle, has made it possible to translate this technology to cross-country.

There is a considerable gain in rigidity while leaving the weight unchanged compared with the quick release version. The rigidity of the fork-hub assembly increases considerably.The oversize hub axle has a higher torque. Assembly precision also increases: positioning the disc brakes is easier and quicker.

[/quote']

even better is the bit how the oversize thru axle improves discbrake positioning. They guys are over the top. I think I'll steer clear of their products in future. Theamount of time spend dreaming up this BS must surely affect the quality of the end product.

My idea of marketing wheels:

"Ladies and Gentlemen,I present a Wheel. It's round, and is held to a centrally mounted hub by Spokes. It's a pretty wheel, shiny in places, black where it needs to be. This is my wheel.

Thank you for listening."

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

even better is the bit how the oversize thru axle improves discbrake positioning. They guys are over the top. cut cut cut

This is not so over the top. Rememer' date=' this is the same company that introduced the one thicker spoke opposite the valve hole in order to balance the wheel.

My idea of marketing wheels:

"Ladies and Gentlemen,I present a Wheel. It's round, and is held to a centrally mounted hub by Spokes. It's a pretty wheel, shiny in places, black where it needs to be. This is my wheel.

Thank you for listening."

Hmmm, I think I'll hijack that for my next brochure. Pretty much says it all. I'll just change "listening" to "buying".

This is not so over the top. Rememer' date=' this is the same company that introduced the one thicker spoke opposite the valve hole in order to balance the wheel. 

[/quote']

Hey, that actually does work and it gives you place to put your magnet for you computer.

I like my Fulcrums. They match my bike and make a nice cccrrrrrrrrr sound when I'm not pedaling.

[/quote']

Hey, that actually does work and it gives you place to put your magnet for you computer.

Dammit! That leaves the rest of us in a quandary having to find a way to balance our wheels and find mounting posts for our magnets.Wink

I recently bought a pair of Mavic CrossRides (R2k/set from CRC), which I thought were excellent value. Of course they do look much more expensive than they are, but what drew me was the fact that I got straight-pull spokes and cartridge bearings in the package.

Done about 1000km so long, and they've been great. Noticeably stiffer than my previous set (OEM Mavic X117Ms on Deore hubs). The only problems I've had have been 4 or 5 freehub slips on hard engagement after freewheeling. I was warned about the freehub mechanism though, so can't complain...

So if anyone's shopping for a "cheap" set of "expensive" wheels, CrossRides are a good option.

While on the topic of wheels, a MTB question for the experts.

Mtb can be separated into 3 broad groups, ie. XC/Marathon, Trail and DH/Freeride.

Is a set of say XT or Crossmax wheels appropriate for all applications? Would the wheels discussed here be pretty much for XC and/or trail only or will all these wheels do the trick?

What do you look for when choosing a wheel for specfic type of riding or is a good wheelset good enough?

any wheel canbe used for any application but it's longevity is affected.

typically for trail riding, FR and DH you want to use a wider tyre so a wider rim is used to accomodate this type of tyre. XC rims are around 22 to 24mm wide while the heavier duty rims are up to 28mm wide and of more robust construction.

Wheelset choice should be driven by rider weight, ability and budget more than soft rules set by marketers of wheels. Crossmax is available in versions that cater for XC racing right to FR. The DeeMax takes you to the hard core riding.

Does that extend to the hub as well? So you could use a XT hub for any variety of uses?

I am obviously not including that CRAZEE stuff you see on those extreme videos. Talking rock gardens, rocky descents, forest single track etc. as opposed to jeep track and district roads.

XT wheelsets are available in many versions with essentially the same Rim

The front hub is where the changes are made to accomodate 20mm Thru Axle and Maxle, QR15, the new XC through axle std, and std QR format.

For Anything requiring a 12mm thru axle in the rear you will have to look at SLX or Saint. Neither have wheelsets at this point in time. So you will have to build a set.

For Handling rougher riding than that available in Jo'burg, a 20mm, or QR15 XT wheelset is ideal. Bear in mind these require a new fork.

Shimano have Thru Axel wheelsets WHM778 which is XT Tubeless and is available thru your Lbs.Also have Slx and Xt Thru Axel front Hubs which are ex stock .

rgds sm

Nice wheelset. They are around R3800.00 on CRC excl shipping and VAT. Any idea what the recommended retail price is here?

Dirtbreath, i stand to correction but expect the WHM778 wheelset to be about R3.8K incl.Vat at your LBS.So u saving Airfreight,schlepping to clear the goods,and of course we will back u up 100 % with after sales service warrany issues etc.

If you need further assistance and want to order these wheels thru your Lbs I will assist u and the Lbs accordingly

rgds steve m

Dirtbreath' date=' i stand to correction but expect the WHM778 wheelset to be about R3.8K incl.Vat at your LBS.So u saving Airfreight,schlepping to clear the goods,and of course we will back u up 100 % with after sales service warrany issues etc.

If you need further assistance and want to order these wheels thru your Lbs I will assist u and the Lbs accordingly

rgds steve m

[/quote']

Good to hear. Thanks.

umm whats a through axel ?

Normal quick release has a slot at the bottom of the fork for the wheel and quick release to "drop" out of when removing. A through axle slides in from the side. The fork is enclosed and has a "hole" in it for the skewer to slide into, through the hub and lock on the opposit fork stanchion.

umm whats a through axel ?

Normal quick release has a slot at the bottom of the fork for the wheel and quick release to "drop" out of when removing. A through axle slides in from the side. The fork is enclosed and has a "hole" in it for the skewer to slide into' date=' through the hub and lock on the opposit fork stanchion.

[/quote']

Thumbs%20Up

pro's and cons of this system? Does it give any advantage over the quick release system ?

Is it easy to take the wheel off with a through axel ?