Lance Power Training

bruce

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

O goody, so my day on/day off/day on/day off routine on my intense week was exactly how not to do it.   Then again, I'm not training for a multi-day stage race!

So in other words Carmichael "lost you"??

LOL  WTF are you doing on a power thread again?  I thought you were a non-believer!

No, Carmichael did not loose me, I am doing a pretty good job of loosing it on my own.

colonel -- you and I still have unfinished business in this regard. I havnt forgotten and i will fulfill my promise to you sooner than you think.

Colonel, beware of ronelle.  Look how I turned out once she subjected me to a PowerTap.

(Ronelle, nog net twee slapies!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Guest colonel

LOL  WTF are you doing on a power thread again?  I thought you were a non-believer!

No' date=' Carmichael did not loose me, I am doing a pretty good job of loosing it on my own.
[/quote']

No I never said I was a non believer atall I said that I dont believe they are as important as people make them out to be.

I believe that if you are a top end rider you will benefit, I dont believe that the remaining 76% of the guys that have them actually benefit from using them. A guy once told me that he likes seeing what he has done on a ride but doesnt understand it. To me that is a total waste Im sorry to say and Im sure alot of people agree with me.

I have sent Bruce many a mail before wrt PT and the benefits vs no benefits etc some time ago and Jeroen has also tried to get me to go that route and there are 2 people I trust in training and Jeroen is one and the other is in Qatar.

I have also as Ronelle posted asked if I could "rent" her 1 she has to see what I honestly think before buying it.

I've seen people buy them and they still suck, yet Ive seen people not buy them and go really well.

Im not against them I just havent bought into the fad thats all but maybe it will change. 

Guest colonel
Colonel' date=' beware of ronelle.  Look how I turned out once she subjected me to a PowerTap.

[/quote']

Looks like you took a wrong turned considering your "blocks" are all wrongConfusedEmbarrassed

Colonel' date=' beware of ronelle.  Look how I turned out once she subjected me to a PowerTap.

[/quote']

Looks like you took a wrong turned considering your "blocks" are all wrongConfusedEmbarrassed

OK, ok, I admit it.  I simply need to ride my bike more before I need to start worrying about recovery periods and other lost blocks!  Happy now?!

I lost a bit more than 25 watts, so I might need a week or two more than lance to lift my game, once I have shuffled and arranged my blocks properly.

Willehond2009-01-08 05:28:48

Guest colonel

You need to put the square blocks all together and then the ones that look like this: 0 (they are called circles)  together.

Hey, in all seriousness good luck its lekker when you learn sh*t like this and get it right.

No' date=' Carmichael did not loose me, I am doing a pretty good job of loosing it on my own.
[/quote']

No I never said I was a non believer atall I said that I dont believe they are as important as people make them out to be.

I believe that if you are a top end rider you will benefit, I dont believe that the remaining 76% of the guys that have them actually benefit from using them. A guy once told me that he likes seeing what he has done on a ride but doesnt understand it. To me that is a total waste Im sorry to say and Im sure alot of people agree with me.

I have sent Bruce many a mail before wrt PT and the benefits vs no benefits etc some time ago and Jeroen has also tried to get me to go that route and there are 2 people I trust in training and Jeroen is one and the other is in Qatar.

I have also as Ronelle posted asked if I could "rent" her 1 she has to see what I honestly think before buying it.

I've seen people buy them and they still suck, yet Ive seen people not buy them and go really well.

Im not against them I just havent bought into the fad thats all but maybe it will change. 

I agree with you that a lot of people don't get their money's worth, but I still think it can have a lot of benefits for an 'average' rider (read: funrider or non-pro).  If you just get it for extra numbers or if you don't invest the time to understand it properly it is a huge waste of money.  If you only have a few hours a week to train though, the power based training helps to keep you honest and extract maximum from each session.

If you have a coach it is invaluable in analysing your response to training and progression.  Also great for motivation (well in my case anyway), unless of course your figures dip where it can be very deflating to stare the facts in the face. It doesn't lie.  

For me a power meter is like having a spedometer for your body.  Using a heart rate monitor is like using your rev counter to deduct your speed.  Yes, it works, but it's just not the real thing. 

It also appeals to the analytical geek (not so deep) inside me.
Willehond2009-01-08 05:43:04

Guest colonel

At the end of the day if I got no power on the day Im not getting up the hill and I dont need R8-15K to tell me that!!Wink

Colonel, is Scott in Qatar now? Thought he was in Abu Dabi (or however you spell that!!)