Engine lube for bike chain

Wazza

Sure' date=' I will even add smiles and hearts for the advise but just can not gaurentee any spelling.

I use the blue milky white lightning, probably wax based. All I use. (no can not justify it)

I will look for Pedro's Synlube, thank you. Wet and dry, night and day ? [/quote']

Thank you.

Synlube works in wet and dry, night and day. I have one lube for everything. I can't be bothered with shampoo for oily or dry hair, Doom for crawling or flying insects, lavender or pine floor cleaner, tyres for sand or hardpack, women for fun or cooking, beer for getting drunk or staying sober and and and...

Life's too short for all these choices.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wiping any excess off the chain does help. Not a miracle lube but no better or worse than the ones you pay R60.00 a tiny bottle for.

Sure' date=' I will even add smiles and hearts for the advise but just can not gaurentee any spelling.

I use the blue milky white lightning, probably wax based. All I use. (no can not justify it)

I will look for Pedro's Synlube, thank you. Wet and dry, night and day ? [/quote']

Thank you.

Synlube works in wet and dry, night and day. I have one lube for everything. I can't be bothered with shampoo for oily or dry hair, Doom for crawling or flying insects, lavender or pine floor cleaner, tyres for sand or hardpack, women for fun or cooking, beer for getting drunk or staying sober and and and...

Life's too short for all these choices.

Smile

I share you sentiment but not experience and that is why I ask.

Thank you again.

Ok, I ride mtb (xc) and almost 90% of the time in dry and Dusty conditions, so wet doesnt work, it ends up gathering dust and wearing my components.

So used squirt for a while and had no problems, lasted long and didn't gunk up my chain much.

I decided to try something different (greedy me wanted better) I got some White Lightning 'clean ride'... The stuff is crap! Lasts for one ride in the dry of like 35km

Whats the right dry lube to use in dry + dusty comditions???

Most important is it must last long, I dont mind cleaning my chain properly when it gunks up.
CrossCountry2009-01-09 01:21:53

Technically' date=' engine oil is more than good enough to lubricate bike chains. Practically, it's a bit thin and splatters on your rear wheel. Use very little, a pinched-off drop on every second link is enough.

Like DB says, it washes off nice and easy, ready for the next lube.

However Intern unwittingly gave away when last he actually stopped at a garage to use some of their free oil they store in the dustbins.

He used the word "tin". Since about 2001 garages only sell oil in plastic bottles.

He right though, garages are lifesavers on long wet rides when your chain start to sound like a cage full of canaries. You just need a match to drip it on, luckily the smokers leave their matches and stompies lying around.

[/quote']

ot quite correct. Some Oil co still sell lube in tins. Usually teh lower tier stuff like Shell Helix SAE 30, 40, 20W50, Havoline 20W 50.It's popular with the Taxi market

er...., so then q20 (not the spray-on, the light machine oil) is no good for my chain.

I should switch to motor oil?

If it is designed to lubricate engine bearings, piston rings and all thatother engine stuff at high temperatures' it has to be good enough for a bike chain that runs at about 30 degrees C.

Edit: Will castor oil work as a substitute?
Slave2Love2009-01-09 08:10:09

While we are on the subject... can one use something like wynflon

Winflon is quite a nice lube. It comprises a heavy oil (almost grease) in a volatile carrier. When squirted on it smells wonderful, but more important, it penetrates and carries the oil deep inside the object and the carrier then evaporates, leaving behind a greasy surface.

Wynns will obviously tell you that this is great for bicycle chains but they're talking about aunt Edna's step-through with a basket on the front.

I'm not convinced that the residual oil is liquid enough to flow back into surfaces after displaced by pressure. I'm talking form old memory now, I haven't used Winflon for a very long time and when I still did use it, I never did 100 plus kilometer trips. I can't comment on its longevity.

Dont confuse Winflon with Q20 or any of its clones. These lubricants are very thin and not suitable for even aunt Edna's bike.

However, an aerosol is a very wasteful way of applying lubricant to a bicycle chain. The spray goes everywhere.

Ok' date=' I ride mtb (xc) and almost?90% of the time in dry and?Dusty conditions, so wet doesnt work,?it ends up gathering dust and wearing my components.

So used squirt for a while and had no problems, lasted long and didn't gunk up my chain much.

I decided to try something different (greedy me wanted better) I got some?White Lightning 'clean ride'... The stuff is crap! Lasts for one ride in the dry of like 35km

?

Whats the right dry lube to use in dry + dusty comditions???

Most important is it must last long, I dont mind cleaning my chain properly when it gunks up.
[/quote']

Try Motorex dry lube. Been using it for the past two years and I really like it. Keeps the chain clean and lasts long. I never liked White Lightning. Still got a bottle somewhere.

Im new to MTB and all this oil makes me think? What should I be doing after each ride to keep all parts running smothly? I ride dry - mudy

Thanks JB. I will cease and desist my use of Q20.

Would castor oil work? (JUst kidding).LOL

I'll switch to motor oil.

I've also been looking at chain lubes. Has anybody had any experience with Prolink Chain Lube? Best of mtbr.com (for what it's worth). Is it available in SA?