Engine lube for bike chain

Wazza

Have any of you used engine oil to lube your chain?

It is thicker and I was wondering if it would collect more dust and grime.

Thanks

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, have some diesel oil that I use. I can compare it to a wet lube. It works well but you chain does go black and needs regular cleaning. That said it is very easy to clean with a chain cleaner. Not pretty though. 

Any port in a storm. I have used engine oil from a garage (from the empty tins in the bin) after  during a loooooooong ride and a heavy downpour. As Dirtbreath says, it aint pretty but in a pinch it is just fine. And dandy.

intern2009-01-08 08:01:32

Technically, engine oil is more than good enough to lubricate bike chains. Practically, it's a bit thin and splatters on your rear wheel. Use very little, a pinched-off drop on every second link is enough.

Like DB says, it washes off nice and easy, ready for the next lube.

However Intern unwittingly gave away when last he actually stopped at a garage to use some of their free oil they store in the dustbins.

He used the word "tin". Since about 2001 garages only sell oil in plastic bottles.

He right though, garages are lifesavers on long wet rides when your chain start to sound like a cage full of canaries. You just need a match to drip it on, luckily the smokers leave their matches and stompies lying around.

Canaries LOL

Mine usualy ends up sounding like a squadron of tanks.

Its only a problem if the wet chain becomes dry, the tanks or canaries usualy keep quite if you stay wet i.e. in the rain.

SwissVan2009-01-08 09:00:07

Technically' date=' engine oil is more than good enough to lubricate bike chains. Practically, it's a bit thin and splatters on your rear wheel. Use very little, a pinched-off drop on every second link is enough.

Like DB says, it washes off nice and easy, ready for the next lube.

However Intern unwittingly gave away when last he actually stopped at a garage to use some of their free oil they store in the dustbins.

He used the word "tin". Since about 2001 garages only sell oil in plastic bottles.

He right though, garages are lifesavers on long wet rides when your chain start to sound like a cage full of canaries. You just need a match to drip it on, luckily the smokers leave their matches and stompies lying around.

[/quote']

JB, the Castrol XL40 still comes in a tinWink and would probably be a better option than the diesel lubeLOL

cut cut cut

Its only a problem if the wet chain becomes dry' date=' the tanks or canaries usualy keep quite if you stay wet i.e. in the rain.

[/quote']

Yes you're right. Water is a surprisingly good lubricant. But it splashes off and evaporates very quickly when the rain stops.

I just cannot get myself to ride with a squeaky chain. Some guys seem to be immune to it.

Canaries LOL

Mine usualy ends up sounding like a squadron of tanks.

Its only a problem if the wet chain becomes dry' date=' the tanks or canaries usualy keep quite if you stay wet i.e. in the rain.

[/quote']

My chains on the Tandem never sings like canaries because I use Squirt on my chains and you believe it, we have rain, dust and sand here in copious quatities in Ondjiva.

JB' date=' the Castrol XL40 still comes in a tinWink and would probably be a better option than the diesel lubeLOL
[/quote']

Hmmmm....that's lawnmower oil. No car uses monograde. Smile

Just a casual observation I made following my sidcovewry the other day when I stopped for a free top-up and I discovered that tins have become extinct. I made the bit about 2001 up though. I have no idea when this happened. I suppose it happened around the same time that the 5l cans I buy went from tins to plastic bottles. I just never buy small quantities of oil.

My chains on the Tandem never sings like canaries because I use Squirt on my chains and you believe it' date=' we have rain, dust and sand here in copious quatities in Ondjiva.
[/quote']

But then again, Ondjiva is not exactly famous for its canaries.

Squirt is crap and you're trolling Hendrik.

JB' date=' the Castrol XL40 still comes in a tinWink and would probably be a better option than the diesel lubeLOL
[/quote']

Hmmmm....that's lawnmower oil. No car uses monograde. Smile

Just a casual observation I made following my sidcovewry the other day when I stopped for a free top-up and I discovered that tins have become extinct. I made the bit about 2001 up though. I have no idea when this happened. I suppose it happened around the same time that the 5l cans I buy went from tins to plastic bottles. I just never buy small quantities of oil.

Just taking the mickeySmile, many car uses purchas the mongrade oil, especially the older models....the mechanics swear by it when doing an enginde overall, who know how much truth is in that. 

...i need advise.

im a creature of habit when it comes to things i dont want to put too much effort/thought into - cycling tech is one of them and i read most of JB's posts so that i dont have to go figure things out for myself.

ive been using white lightning for most of my cycling(MTB) (which is not too long) I dont mind the extra $$ over scavenging oil tins/plastics but should i be looking elsewhere maybe.... i ask because it seems like most places i been too the last couple of days are out of stock.... good or bad?

JB - if you have time please

Mellow I'm not quite sure what you're asking. The White Lightning brand has many different lubes, some of them being oil and others a wax concoction.

The minute I offer my opinion on this war breaks out.

Wax sucks. There, now comes trouble.

My personal favourite oil is Pedro's Synlube. It is the most tenacious oil I can find that doesn't make strings like spider webs where the chain comes off the sprocket. If ever you've tried to use chain saw oil (bar oil), you'll know what I mean.

Car oil is a tad too thin and splashes on my preciously clean rims. It is perfect in other ways though.

Aaag and be a skat and please use punctuation. It enhances the readability of your posts.

Sure, I will even add smiles and hearts for the advise but just can not gaurentee any spelling.

I use the blue milky white lightning, probably wax based. All I use. (no can not justify it)

I will look for Pedro's Synlube, thank you. Wet and dry, night and day ?

Yes I have - did it for some time (8 months).

Reminded me of Pedro?s with the Green cap. Did turn black very quickly and had a funny burning smell to it (even at the speeds I ride), relatively easy to clean although messy.

Had not had problems with splatter and I used to ride with V-brakes back then so I would have known