Ladies weight loss vs men weight loss

My husband and I started cycling 6 months ago to get fit and loose some weight. In the process we got hooked, bought better mtbikes, gear etc.

Thing is, he is loosing a lot of weight while I picked up weight. We try to eat as healthy as possible and cycle at least 6days a week. I really enjoy the cycling but the kilo's aren't dropping! Is this normal?

maybe you're putting on muscle mass you never had before? muscle weighs more than fat. holy roller2009-01-13 02:43:19

Go see a sports dietician. I have lost 7 kilos and my wife about 10 in the last 3 months. "Thinking" that you are eating healthy might be FAR from the truth.

My wife also gets the moer in.  I am loosing the weight and she is not.  But she is loosing centimeters around the waist.

same here with me & my girlfriend... she's gaining lean muscle tissue, but stays the same weight - and can now fit into an old pair of jeans...

whereas i just have so much to lose around the belly, the muscle I put on is outweighed by what i lose around the gut...

My wife also gets the moer in.? I am loosing the weight and she is not.? But she is loosing centimeters around the waist.

Same here. I'm just no losing fast enough. I would like to shed about 6kg before Argus. smiley19.gif

The rule of thumb to weight loss is to burn more calories than you consume. But by trying to eat as healthy as possible doesnt necesserily mean you are eating healthy foods, maybe just a bit better than you are used to (eg: a single burger instead of a double cheeseburger). The wrong combinations and portions of protein, carbs and fats can in fact increase your fat percentage, even with healthy food. Metabolism also plays a huge part in the equasion. Try to get assessed by someone who specializes in dietry requirement for sport. They will do a fat test and also give you a proper diet to stick to, based on what you want to achieve (fat loss, muscle gain etc). They will also measure you on a weekly / monthly basis and monitor progress accordingly.

sorry... my post did not function right.

what weighs more a ton of feathers or a ton of bricks? Muscle weighs the same as fat. You are likely converting fat to muscle. I had the same problem. I just been to a dietician so I live in hope that eating correctly is the solution. I suggest you see a sports dietician or nutritionist

what weighs more a ton of feathers or a ton of bricks? Muscle weighs the same as fat.

Ya, but what they mean is that muscle is more dense than fat, so less volume of muscle will weigh more than the equivalent volume of fat...

My wife also gets the moer in.  I am loosing the weight and she is not.  But she is loosing centimeters around the waist.

Same here. I'm just no losing fast enough. I would like to shed about 6kg before Argus. smiley19.gif

Not sure if you can loose 6kg before the Argus, but it is VERY possible depending how much you have to loose. Make an appointment with a dietitian TODAY!

The rule of thumb to weight loss is to burn more calories than you consume. But by trying to eat as healthy as possible doesnt necesserily mean you are eating healthy foods' date=' maybe just a bit better than you are used to (eg: a single burger instead of a double cheeseburger). The wrong combinations and portions of protein, carbs and fats can in fact increase your fat percentage, even with healthy food. Metabolism also plays a huge part in the equasion. Try to get assessed by someone who specializes in dietry requirement for sport. They will do a fat test and also give you a proper diet to stick to, based on what you want to achieve (fat loss, muscle gain etc). They will also measure you on a weekly / monthly basis and monitor progress accordingly.[/quote']

Couldn't agree more. I've always been thin, but after seeing a dietitian, I'm 7kg more off and a race snake now.

what weighs more a ton of feathers or a ton of bricks? Muscle weighs the same as fat. You are likely converting fat to muscle. I had the same problem. I just been to a dietician so I live in hope that eating correctly is the solution. I suggest you see a sports dietician or nutritionist

You are wrong. We are not talking about 1kg muscle vs 1kg fat. We are talking about a certain volume of tissue of one kind, versus the same volume of tissue of another kind. 10cm3 muscle vs 10cm3 fat... The muscle will be heavier.

fat cant be converted into muscle or muscle into fat. you can lose fat and build muscle and the other way round.

but the main thing is looking and feeling better....it think fat% is better measurement.