MTB Chains - School of Thought

Dirtbreath

Unless you break the chain inside a cars crank case smiley7.gif

Its not supposed to be possible, but after loaning the mother-in-laws car (We live in CT and flew into JHB) and heading off to the Kruger for honeymoon thats exactly what happend about 40 km from the Orpen gate.

Guess the odds were stacked against me ... it had something to do with a faultly chain tensioner etc etc which had been an ongoing problem. Nissan ducked all responsibility even though they had attempted to fix the problem previously (Out of warranty)

The engine was written off smiley5.gif Towing and recovering car from Hoedspruit is a nightmare.

Then you're not using the tool correctly TurtleK ... remember to apply tension to the chain when measuring. I also used an inch ruler for years (many of them) and I reckon I've been using tools about as long as you've been riding (I know your age - heh' date=' heh).[/quote']

Climate there is still an inaccuracy in those chain checkers seeing as i put a brand new shimano dura ace chain onto a brand new bike and decided to check it for fun and it came out as being stretched and that was with a park tool chain checker

i then used the inch ruler and it came out that there was no wear on the chain

so either way i have been taught by a very reliable source how to measure chains and fix bikes and so far have never had an issue with any of the bikes i have fixed or any of the chains i have checkedin the end you will carry on swearing by your chain tool and i will carry on saying that it is a piece of junk!

Yip ... there was a flaw in the tool you used. I've made the comparisons between ruler and tool. I'd get back to Park on that tool if I was you.

Yip ... there was a flaw in the tool you used. I've made the comparisons between ruler and tool. I'd get back to Park on that tool if I was you.

was sent back and same thing happened to the tool they replaced it with on the same chain so ya that tool is now an ornament in my garage if it is still there soemwhere

Then you're not using the tool correctly TurtleK ... remember to apply tension to the chain when measuring. I also used an inch ruler for years (many of them) and I reckon I've been using tools about as long as you've been riding (I know your age - heh' date=' heh).[/quote']

Climate there is still an inaccuracy in those chain checkers seeing as i put a brand new shimano dura ace chain onto a brand new bike and decided to check it for fun and it came out as being stretched and that was with a park tool chain checker

i then used the inch ruler and it came out that there was no wear on the chain

so either way i have been taught by a very reliable source how to measure chains and fix bikes and so far have never had an issue with any of the bikes i have fixed or any of the chains i have checkedin the end you will carry on swearing by your chain tool and i will carry on saying that it is a piece of junk!

I'm with Turtlek - Never ever checked my chains with any measuring device and also dont remove the chain to clean it.

Cannot remember when last I HAD to replace a cluster or chain ring due to wear either.

The only issues I have had with chains is when they come apart at the link pin shortly AFTER the chain has been installed (usually while going up that short steep climb). 

Then you've been lucky SwissVan ... replacing a chain on a worn cluster will get your crank jumping the moment you need to apply serios pressure to the pedals. And it will keep doing it, 'till the new chain has "stretched" to match the cluster (speaking from experience). There are numerous chain wear tools out there (Rohloff make a good one too) and it's a quick measurement ... especially when the number of chains one has to check runs into double digits (yip - they're all on bikes).