Chapmans peak

NotSpartacus

I read a while back that Chapmans peak drive was closed due to another rock fall. Is this corrrect and has it been opened yet? If not does anybody kknow whether it will be open in time for the Argus?

My search function keeps crashing out.

I was up there on Saturday and its still firmly closed at the top.

This is an extract from an email I received from the organisers over the weekend:

"ROUTE

We have had a number of queries of late with regard to Chapman's Peak. As matters stand at the moment, we are negotiating with both Entilini and the local and provincial authorities re the use of Chappies for the Tour. We have formally requested the Provincial Administration to ensure that the pass is open for the event as part of our permit application. We have scheduled a meeting with the Provincial Authorities and will be issuing a press release covering all aspects of the route and finish area shortly"

this is toing and froing like jon mayer and jen aniston.

just got this one in from the 2Oceans marathon newsletter.

There?s been a lot of talk in running circles about which route will be used for the 2009 event. The ultra marathon will remain on the traditional route via Chapman?s Peak, Hout Bay and Constantia Nek. Should it be deemed unsafe by authorities at a later stage, you will be notified and we will keep you up to date via the newsletter and our website and the media.

At best Chappies will be open just for the day of the cycle tour (so I've heard, not confirmed).  The cycle tour trust is planning for Ou Kaaps as well.  There is apparently still one section of Chappies which the provincial engineer is unwilling to "sign off on" 

And strong rumours doing the rounds that we will be going over Boyes Drive as well (just rumours, nothing confirmed!)

At best Chappies will be open just for the day of the cycle tour (so I've heard' date=' not confirmed).  The cycle tour trust is planning for Ou Kaaps as well.  There is apparently still one section of Chappies which the provincial engineer is unwilling to "sign off on" 

And strong rumours doing the rounds that we will be going over Boyes Drive as well (just rumours, nothing confirmed!)
[/quote']

this would be the nail in the coffin for my ride - i was wanting to stop at olympic bakery for breakfast!

Heard similar things on the rumour/grape vine.

Also heard that the cycle tour trust is taking the matter up at provinicial level.

I noticed that they have dug up one lane on Main Rd again - I think it would be silly to go over Boyes Drive - imagine the carnage at the Kalk Bay traffic lights!

Heard similar things on the rumour/grape vine.

Also heard that the cycle tour trust is taking the matter up at provinicial level.

I noticed that they have dug up one lane on Main Rd again - I think it would be silly to go over Boyes Drive - imagine the carnage at the Kalk Bay traffic lights!

That's apparently the problem; they are around two months behind schedule and there will only be one lane open on Main Rd for the Argus....narrow pavement on the one side, concrete barrier on the other, manhole covers...

OK, so one way or another, it will be carnage in Kalk Bay and then possibly OKW to deal with on the other side.

Awesome! I cant wait! Dead

I won't mind doing OKW so I can get my revenge from 7 years ago when it stripped all the skin of my heels-no pun intended.Angry

Exactly, it was me 1st time on a borrowed bike, 10am start, no training, temp 40 degrees, pushing up every hill & secret socks slipping off from all the perspiring, by the time I reached Green

Point I had no skin left on me hills from blisters. It was fun though & never looked back since, this year will be my 9th straight Argus.