Prescription glasses and MTB'ing

Danivt

Hi there,

I need some advice on cycling glasses, I wear glasses for nearsightedness, I have a set of Rudy Project sunglasses (with the proper lenses) but it is not cycling set, it is from the lifestyle range.

I went to the optometrist and asked them if they can assist with cycling glasses, they suggested I use Oakley (the normal sport ones) or I can buy from a cycling store, the one with the optic inserts, then come to them for the actual glass insert.

Where do I start looking and when is this actually needed? My prescription is very small (-0.75) thus is it really needed? Or will normal cycling glasses be fine? 

How does photochromic affect it? And why is it so difficult to get the optic insert sets?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Rudy project with photocromic lenses and insert works best but with your prescription contact lenses might be best?

@WIM STEENKAMP I tried contacts, but... my eyes dry out too quickly. Ok let me check the Rudy project ones. Thank you

@Barry thanks I will check what they said there. Was looking for a post on this but I didn't see it haha.

@Jensie is it safe to go with one of those? Shein also has, but I didn't know if it was actually uv and all that

I bought a few prescription sunglasses on Aliexpress. They work great. Cost was less than R400 each. I prefer the yellow tint ones. Not sunglasses really, but look sporty.

You can use inserts with one-piece lenses, or you can use any sunglasses with separate lenses - but either way you'll need the optometrist to work out where your eyes are pointing when on the bike, which is usually higher than the straight ahead position they usually use. It affects where they put the focal point of the lens, which in turn will affect how well they work.

0.75 isn't much, but in low light conditions it does make a difference.

I use sunglass 'readers' from DisChem, they were less than R400. Worth a try. 

2 hours ago, droo said:

You can use inserts with one-piece lenses, or you can use any sunglasses with separate lenses - but either way you'll need the optometrist to work out where your eyes are pointing when on the bike, which is usually higher than the straight ahead position they usually use. It affects where they put the focal point of the lens, which in turn will affect how well they work.

0.75 isn't much, but in low light conditions it does make a difference.

That makes sense thank you. 0.75 doesn't sound like much... but without it ones brain tries to fix the blurriness and then causes migraines... 😞

24 minutes ago, Anthem24 said:

I use sunglass 'readers' from DisChem, they were less than R400. Worth a try. 

I'll check it out thank you

3 hours ago, Martin PJ said:

I bought a few prescription sunglasses on Aliexpress. They work great. Cost was less than R400 each. I prefer the yellow tint ones. Not sunglasses really, but look sporty.

Ooh I'll have a look thank you 😊 

As a -5.0 and - 5.5 wearer. I wouldn't bother with - 0.75 corrections. I ride with - 4.5 sunnies occasionally. No diff 

I have gone full circle on this with my preferred glasses being Rudy Projects. I have got inserts for the Rudy Projects, but also could not find a compatible photochromic pair that I liked. So gave contact lenses a try again, which I had sworn off before, my optometrist recommended different types which help prevent dry eyes and irritation which I have tried and it’s working well- Cooper Vision Myday sphere. After a few hours I want them out, so it’s just for activity, and then I switch back my normal glasses or script sunnies.

I went all in with Oakley jawbreaker photochromatic prescription lenses. and they have been fantatic.

The price hurt but I was in panic mode before Transbaviaans. (Take a high end pair of sunnies price and double it with prescription lenses.) 

But now Oakley has changed their offering and I can't get prescription upgrades. so it is a new set  ;-(.

Mtb Sunnies also take a hammering, extra care needs to be taken to wash and not wipe as you just scratch lenses, especially on longer stages.

I would like to investigate contacts and then just vanilla Photochromic lenses 

On 5/28/2024 at 10:39 PM, V18 said:

As a -5.0 and - 5.5 wearer. I wouldn't bother with - 0.75 corrections. I ride with - 4.5 sunnies occasionally. No diff 

Thank you, I am using my sunnies (prescription ones atm)

22 hours ago, Murrob said:

I have gone full circle on this with my preferred glasses being Rudy Projects. I have got inserts for the Rudy Projects, but also could not find a compatible photochromic pair that I liked. So gave contact lenses a try again, which I had sworn off before, my optometrist recommended different types which help prevent dry eyes and irritation which I have tried and it’s working well- Cooper Vision Myday sphere. After a few hours I want them out, so it’s just for activity, and then I switch back my normal glasses or script sunnies.

Ok I will ask my optom about that, maybe you have something here