GARMIN mounts?

GreyOwl3.0

I'm using a GARMIN 705...and I've now had my 3rd mount breakage.

Anyone else experienced this?

Mine keep breaking inside the mount where the cable tie runs through...think I'm tightening it too tight? It always breaks in the one(identical) place...and I'm just worried the unit will go bouncing down the road...

Bike mounts seem to be an area Garmin can improve upon.

I've had problems with the 305 mounts ... little catch/release tabs keep breaking for no apparent reason.

Yep - but I find the biggest problem is that the little tabs keep on breaking. A good revenue steam for Garmin...

I did have the cable tie holes breaking on my old 305, but then I started supergluing the two parts of the mount together before cable tying them onto the stem. That solved that problem. Just make sure you get the orientation correct before gluing!!!

My 705 is heavier than the 305 and I have had no problems with the cable tie holes after gluing the mount.

Also had a few problems with the catch tab breaking, not cheap to replace but fortunately the one i'm using now has held for a while.

I had the same problem on my road bike. Tried to glue it but I think the only way is to get a replacement.

Ditto - mine lasted 2 trips down the spruit.

Bought a new one at the Lab - R130.00 but it's exactly the same quality.

Garmin really needs to review the build quality of this item as it doesn't match the quality of the 705.

My wife (elite ladies) lost her 305 when the mount broke and the unit flew accross the N4 during the Bekwena never to be found again...

Jason promised a replacemnt unit for December, but never delivered...

She's still without a proper heart rate monitor and misses her 305...

Very dissapointing!!

I lost my 705 on Breedt's neck, fortunately, heard today that is was found. Mounting broke on the exact same spot. Garmin's explanation was that I mounted it incorrectly. I think the mounting isn't strong enough for the weight of the 705.

I have broken three, all on the 305, I now have the 705 and it is getting loose again. Definately a design fault.

JMBC uses GPS units for MTB only. Garmin have not got bike mounts right since the Garmin II, III and V days when the units were big an bulky - members used there own mount designs which were far superior. The JMBC club mounts for their current Etrex units continually break (except once again for personally manufactured ones). We have two Etrex units and have gone through 5 bike mounts and one bottom plate in two years. In addition my 305 has been through 2 mounts already. In both my cases the nipple breaks off. I have been using a broken one with a zip tie holding it to the T-bar for 6 months now and now the sliders are also going to break. Luckily each time the mount broke, I managed to find the 305. Not good designs from Garmin...ever!!!