Nice shops nice discounts

JPW#

many bike shops will only offer discount on big purchases (ie a bike)' date=' and that's if payment is cash or eft.?card purchases cost the bike shops money.?[/quote']

that is why there a shop in Westdene where you always get discount on stuff over R150 even if you pay per card. They even matched my CRC quote and they had to get the stuff from Coolheat first so it was not a matter of having old stock.

funnny how we all ask for 'cash doscounts' at bike shops, but you don't ask when you're at just about any other shop........

last time I bought something from Bridge I got a discount for eft........thats almost standard......

Ok' date=' to make a long story short they had the only campy cassette in the ratio i I was looking for left in the country, (9speed) I went to the sales assistant  asked politely if I could have a bit of  cash discount and the salesmen had to ask the "boss" which rudely replied no we don't give discount on cassettes, phew no wonder their such a small smelly little shop,they will surely stay that way seeing that thats how they do business. I had to travel all the way from Durbanville for that kinda service ( [/quote']

Tell me JPW# when you travel all the way to the Pick and Pay there in Main Street, do you also ask for discount when you buy your trolley fi=ull of groceries, and if you do, do they give you discount. I think you should write a letter to P&P and complain about this........ and to Clicks and to Red Square and to Musica and to Foschini and to .........??????????

I always ask for a cash discount - Sometimes you get it sometimes not. If the salesman has attitude then i give them my card and let them take their 5+% knock anyway. If they simply say that they can't margins etc... I accept it. nothing ventured nothing gained.

99% of the people who come into my shop ask for discount.

Some even tell you what you have to throw in to conclude a deal.

Sometimes the discounts are compared to other shops, then they get here and want us to match a price that is 1% profit....oh and they have a trade in too that nobody wants!

Great way to stay in business! If we're still here by the time you need a service, please come back and get that one free!

LOL

LOL

I don't know why South African's are under the impression they have to get discount in a Cycle shop. You will not walk into Game or Checkers and ask for a cash discount. Things are tough enough for the small shops in the industry. If they have to give everyone a cash discount what are they going to live from?

It is a bussiness for them, not a charity organisation. I think it is bad taste to badmouth a small shop just because they would not give you discount on something you could not find anywhere else in the country. They should have charged you double for it!

nothing wrong in asking for discount; in fact why did he not insists in talking to the BOSS; telling the BOSS that he travelled lots km and if the BOSS still had an attitude to tell the shop to keep the goods or pay by card.

But slandering the "smelly small shop" is not fair! - sounds to me like reverse attitude?

Okay, can everybody please stop using "you don't walk into P'nP/Checkers/Game/Spar/Toys r Us/Hustler Extreme/Nandos and ask for a discount, so why as the cycle shop". We get it.

BRIDGE CYCLES ALWAYS GIVES ME DISCOUNT. ON EVERYTHING I BUY THAT ISN'T ALREADY ON SALE.

MAYBE IT WASN'T YOUR LUCKY DAY...OR MAYBE YOU AREN'T PRETTY ENOUGH?

Yip ... and carlo_sq gives you a good deal!!!Wink

Okay' date=' can everybody please stop using "you don't walk into P'nP/Checkers/Game/Spar/Toys r Us/Hustler Extreme/Nandos and ask for a discount, so why as the cycle shop". We get it.

[/quote']

well....I do not walk into a ADULT STORE and ask for discount on DVD's.....LOLWink

Okay' date=' can everybody please stop using "you don't walk into P'nP/Checkers/Game/Spar/Toys r Us/Hustler Extreme/Nandos and ask for a discount, so why as the cycle shop". We get it.

[/quote']

well....I do not walk into a ADULT STORE and ask for discount on DVD's.....LOLWink

Nope... you go directly to the special  rackLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Bridge gives me a discount every time I ask. I have the brains to only ask for discounts on the bigger tickets items that they enjoy decent markups on. The best way to get a discount is to speak to the owners, they then need to look YOU in the eye and tell you no, far more difficult than telling the salesperson.

Guest colonel
You could have turned around and said "Ok I will not take the cassette anymore" and gone back to your spiffy house in Durbanville.

This is going to kill me to say this but I have to agree with that comment.Dead

Guest colonel
99% of the people who come into my shop ask for discount.

Some even tell you what you have to throw in to conclude a deal.

Sometimes the discounts are compared to other shops' date=' then they get here and want us to match a price that is 1% profit....oh and they have a trade in too that nobody wants!

Great way to stay in business! If we're still here by the time you need a service, please come back and get that one free!

LOL
LOL

[/quote']

Ya but if it was a Honda then people ask if its alright to give you extra money!

I don't know why South African's are under the impression they have to get discount in a Cycle shop. You will not walk into Game or Checkers and ask for a cash discount.

It's a pity if you don't. I ask for a discount at any and every shop I buy things in. I bought a R7k tv from Game the other day and they gave me over R250 off just 'cos I asked (btw, I spoke to the manager, the sales rep will not be allowed to do this). The manager wanted to know why he should, and I just made it clear that if he didnt I'd just go elsewhere.

In my own business I'm expected to discount my rates often. There are two ways to approach this. One is to cut the price, the other is to add more value.

If bike shops don't want to discount the price, they could give you 25% off your next service. This brings you back, and adds value. But to just be a **** like the shopowner in the original post only does two things, it ups the 'stingey' factor (ie the business seems broke) and it is being rude to a paying customer. Sure they made the extra 5% off the sale, but I bet the customer will look for alternative options next time.

There is nothing wrong with asking for discounts. It's part of business. If both parties can walk away feeling good about the transaction, then this is what it's about.

The people who are money wise always ask for a discount, I don't care if I don't get discount its just the way they say no that counts.