giant trance x2 - opinion & suggestions

cat-i

Daxiet - i'm sure it was trance X2 2008? it's an evil black colour with ghost-writing. the 2009-ones are some or other boring colour ... and the dead black colour was half the attraction!i have a hardtail and am not in the market for another one ... i wasn't even in the market for a duallie' date=' just happened to ride it by accident ... it was love at first sight Big%20smilei'd love to take the new bike on ride2rhodes (if i decide to buy) ... the total vertical ascent approaches 3 km and there will be portages, so weight will be an issue - but if it's too heavy, then i take the well-abused hardtail - can't buy a bike for just one ride ...jagwill - for you - i'll try a teocali if i can get my hands on one. i don't like their warning stickers: i can't ride a bike that warns me to not ride at night! but then again - my bike's warning sticker says something about not riding it in mountains ...holy - loved riding with you - you make wicked singletrack-lines! Big%20smile

[/quote']

thanks for the compliment!

couldn't get on that site today because of the budget speech swamping me at work. will check it out first thing tomorrow!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jagwill - for you - i'll try a teocali if i can get my hands on one.

What size are you? Mike's has a medium Teocali Super on the floor at last years price. It's pure temptation, but I can't afford it right now.

Hi cat-i, missed this thread and only spotted it now. I'm sorry but cant give you decent advice on new bikes in that price range as I havent ridden any.

What I mean is that you shouldnt rush and go to quite a few shops and try some demo's out which most shops should have. You will hopefully be spending many kays over a few years on the bike so I dont think you should rush unless you know exactly what you want. I envy you in your position. Very exciting.

Check out www.mtbr.com for some reviews on bikes that catch your eye.

Daxiet - i'm sure it was trance X2 2008? it's an evil black colour with ghost-writing. the 2009-ones are some or other boring colour ... and the dead black colour was half the attraction!

I've seen a black X2, it is an awesome looking bike. I actually saw it while they were assembling my wifes Trance. Her X1 frame is a nice matt off-silver colour. When I querried the origins of the black one, I was told it is the 09 model. The 2008 Trance 2 was boring Blackish colour and Silver.

I've done some google searches it seems as if there may very well have been X2's in 08.

Here is the black one: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/mountain/1333/29470/zoom/

Make sure you get the X2 and not the normal Trance, way lighter frame. What rear shock, make sure you get a Fox RP2 / RP23 rear shcok and not a Float R (no lock settings) terrible bob when climbing.

that's the one, daxiet! isn't it just the most beautiful thing you've ever seen??

here are the others:

2008 X1 - this is your wife's bike? very pretty too!

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/bikes/mountain/1333/29469/

2009 X1: very decent parts, but i don't like the colour ... i'm a girl, i'm ALLOWED to buy bikes for their colour:

2009 X2:

What size are you? Mike's has a medium Teocali Super on the floor at last years price. It's pure temptation' date=' but I can't afford it right now.

[/quote']

hog, the commencal i tried was medium and a very good fit. the giant i tried was a small (16") and a perfect fit. my first giant MTB was also a 16" ... so that makes it small or medium. please send me specs and price of that bike??? is that mike's bikes? i might pop in tomorrow!

It's this bad boy here: Goose

The only problem with it will be weight. Definitely not a XC plaything. Long travel, suspension seat post, overbuilt frame all add extra weight.

P.S. 4 inch travel or 5 inch travel ? Not much in it really.

Actually, there's a whole lot in it.

Typically, a 4 inch bike will have XC specific geometry ie steeper head angle, shorter wheelbase, lower BB height.

The geometry will have a noticably effect on how the bilke feels.

This might partly explain why you enjoyed the 5in Trance X more than the 4in Meta 4.2.

Longer travel bikes typically tend to feel more playful and stable, especially at speed and on technical descents. It will also handle technical, rocky climbs better since the extra suspension increases traction.

We're going to the Ride Before You Buy in CPT on Sunday since my GF is also shopping and the Trance X is on the list. I hope to try it myself.

There's a bikeshop employee somewhere in CPT who owned one and switched to the much-lauded Ibis Mojo and says he prefered the Trance X to the Mojo.

Good luck with the shopping cat-i!

that's the one' date=' daxiet! isn't it just the most beautiful thing you've ever seen??

here are the others:

2008 X1 - this is your wife's bike? very pretty too!

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/bikes/mountain/1333/29469/

2009 X1: very decent parts, but i don't like the colour ... i'm a girl, i'm ALLOWED to buy bikes for their colour:

2009 X2:
[/quote']

Yup the 2008 X1 is definetly her frame, but I like the black more Smile

The rear suspension is very well designed, definetly a smooth ride. The 2008 Black X2 has a Fox F32 120mm, however what was a let down was it had no lockout.

I have not read all of the Posts (Im actually busy at work)LOL

And Im assuming you do "normal " rides, Includes some training, long distances and races inbetween having fun)

my 5cents..

Changing from hard tail, Most desent full susses will feel FUN as you can definately ride places more comfortably than your HT.

I would not go 5' unless you have more to spend as you will pay in weight, abnd trying to make bike lighter by upgrading is EXPENCIVE.

Get the trance (doesnt even have to be the x(5'') They are all very good and I would just try and get the best spec for my buck while reserving some buget for setting it up to my liking.

The Goose Canaan might also be worth a look the Teacali Is heavy

BIKES ARE GETTING CRAZY EXPENCIVE so get that 2007.

On the bog this morning I was paging through the "bicycling buyers guide" from last month...I could not beleve it but in the Full sus class 80% of the bikes between 19k and 25k har Rock Shox TORA forks!! WHAT???

tora on a 25 000 bike...

P.S. 4 inch travel or 5 inch travel ? Not much in it really.

Actually' date=' there's a whole lot in it.

Good luck with the shopping cat-i!

[/quote']

hey minty, i agree about the geometry ... i didn't use up all the suspension - there was about 1.5 cm of unused travel ... but the FEEL of the trance was so much more exciting ... it's almost like the bike had personality; it WANTED to do things ... the 4 inch bike just felt like my bike, only with more control; it went where i wanted to go, but it wasn't like a wild horse WANTING to go there Smile

the goose is a little heavy, hog (btw nice to have accidently met you tonight)

my sani2c partner of last year rides a canaan; i've been on her bike once - on tar and gravel, so i don't really know how it behaves, but it felt very much like my bike.

thx everyone - i'll go try the teocali out just because, and organise a proper ride on the canaan ... and hopefully will be able to post a pic of that new bike soon

And Im assuming you do "normal " rides' date=' Includes some training, long distances and races inbetween having fun)

[/quote']

hahaha bos i prefer to not 'train' ... playing is so much more fun - unfortunately i have to cycle up the hill to come down it, so if i get fit in the process it's a bonus Big%20smile

i'll keep the hardtail for commuting & the longer boring training rides - of which there will unfortunately have to be a few before ride 2 rhodes Smile

Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide on. Full suspension is the way to go. You will not regret converting.