Kzn danger areas

Evan Andreou

The two okes who were riding down Fields Hill this morning - I would give you both a Bells, if I drank Bells, but you've got balls riding on a road that is known for accidents.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The two okes who were riding down Fields Hill this morning - I would give you both a Bells, if I drank Bells, but you've got balls riding on a road that is known for accidents.

Brave indeed.... There are a few pedestrians that walk up in the mornings wearing mostly dark colors. You barely have enough time to see them with a car's headlight let alone a bikes lights!

And then there are cyclists that cycle up Fields Hill.....

Brave indeed.... There are a few pedestrians that walk up in the mornings wearing mostly dark colors. You barely have enough time to see them with a car's headlight let alone a bikes lights!

And then there are cyclists that cycle up Fields Hill.....

I've seen them too, and I think to myself, "what the....?"

• 3 months later...

Just picked this up on IOL -stabbing near Blue Lagoon; plenty lowlifes among the shrubbery there.

https://www.iol.co.za/dailynews/news/cyclist-stabbed-on-m4-durban-north-bridge-18403181

Problem addressed and security already in place (4 security guards)...there have been other measures put in place to curb the robberies on this bridge...fencing etc...they just seem to find another way around it.

• 4 months later...

I have never enjoyed cycling through Howick but unfortunately it is seemingly impossible to avoid in order to get to the Midlands from PMB. I have experienced numerous close calls and aggressive driving there from both taxis and others.

So I left early today from PMB in order to be through Howick and on the Karkloof road before 07h30. Despite this a taxi still struck me as I was going up the climb towards the water tower. Fortunately its side mirror struck the centre of my upper arm right on the muscle. It did not influence my line of travel or my stability in any way and I could continue. My arm and shoulder is just a little numb. I am glad that he lost his mirror, hopefully it costs him some money to repair. He obviously did not stop.

My enthusiasm was gone however and it obviously occurred to me that it could have been a lot worse. So I cut my ride short and head home.

This particular taxi caught my attention when it passed very close to me earlier. It was clearly on purpose as he had to drive into the emergency lane to get so close to me. It then stopped ahead for passengers and I passed it again. It then clearly decided to have another go at me which caused the little collision.

I have never enjoyed cycling through Howick but unfortunately it is seemingly impossible to avoid in order to get to the Midlands from PMB. I have experienced numerous close calls and aggressive driving there from both taxis and others.

So I left early today from PMB in order to be through Howick and on the Karkloof road before 07h30. Despite this a taxi still struck me as I was going up the climb towards the water tower. Fortunately its side mirror struck the centre of my upper arm right on the muscle. It did not influence my line of travel or my stability in any way and I could continue. My arm and shoulder is just a little numb. I am glad that he lost his mirror, hopefully it costs him some money to repair. He obviously did not stop.

My enthusiasm was gone however and it obviously occurred to me that it could have been a lot worse. So I cut my ride short and head home.

This particular taxi caught my attention when it passed very close to me earlier. It was clearly on purpose as he had to drive into the emergency lane to get so close to me. It then stopped ahead for passengers and I passed it again. It then clearly decided to have another go at me which caused the little collision.

This is the exact reason I drive to howick/midmar and then ride, too many close calls for my liking. Used to always ride Pmb to notties but the section from Pmb to howick when I was a lightie. Nowadays I'm not sure how I survived

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

www.cyclesafe.co.za

This product is the birth child of exactly what this forum chats about. We face the reality that we may be mugged while out riding. Unfortunately the pepper spray in my back pocket wasn't accessible to me at the time I needed it. That is where this product came from. 

Would love to know what you all think. 

Edited by Wokshots