Kzn danger areas

Evan Andreou

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blair Atholl road, Westville - now Rodger Sishi road - by between where Dunkeld and Alistair Roads meet Blair Atholl road near the onramp to the M19 to Pinetown. A popular stretch of road for cyclists in Westville.

This morning, at about 5:20am, a man came out of the bushes between Blair Atholl and the M19, tried to brain me with a rock and then ran after me. He missed and ran out of puff and I got away unhurt.

It appears the individual has given this some thought as he hid himself at a point where there is not much street lighting and as the road begins to go up. To me this suggests he may be targeting cyclists specifically.

I was alone and this is probably why he went for me - 3 guys rode through the same area a few minutes after me and they were not attacked.

This person will probably try rob someone again somewhere else in the Highway / Westville area so please be careful, and not just at that part of the road. The matter has been reported to the SAPS.

• 2 months later...

@turnitaroundsa: @bicyclesafetysa Cycling is a popular sport in SA. But it's becoming more and more dangerous to pursue.

A 59-YEAR-OLD cycling enthusiast, and a contender in the UCI World Championships, was stabbed and beaten for his bike early on Sunday morning.Vaughan Cronje left his home for a cycle to Hillcrest between 5.30am and 5.45am and according to his daughter Michelle Mitchell, he had just begun his ride when the incident took place.“

http://t.co/zVaf6Ej2aj

Edited by nathrix ® ©™

This is the same area where some lowlife scum tried to attack me. I reported it to the Westville SAPS in the faint hope that they would actually investigate the incident and step up patrols in the area. The investigating officer never even bothered to contact me. Judging by a post by the SAPS on the Westville Community police forum facebook page on 7th February 2014 - https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=666039666787834&id=177582682300204

(C-3 Community Crime Cooperative) it may be that nothing will be done even after this incident. I hope Vaughan Cronje has a swift and speedy recovery.

• 3 months later...

I was attacked on the same section of Blair Atholl Road between Alister and Dunkeld Roads in 2009.

Two youths tried to karate kick me off my bike. I managed to stay on and ride away. I went home to get my airgun to plug these suckers with lead. Family convinced to leave it at that.

I now avoid the reservoir Hills side of Westvile, Dunkled Road and end of Blair Atholl Road. I try and stick to areas with lots of security huts like Cowies Hill.

It's sad isn't it that we have to live like this.

I have worked and lived in North Carolina for 5 months. I could hike all day in the forests and only had to worry about bears!

I wish the answer was simple as carry a handgun and teach these suckers a lesson. But I don't want to end in jail passing Oscar his bar of soap for defending myself and my bike. ????

• 8 months later...

I only know of the following:

1. on the umgeni bridge in the cycle lane going north by the bushes, a few people have been attacked there,

2. in the cane in the middle of the 3 sister's climb by the tar road, a few people have been attacked there,

3. in the cane under the N2 by the Group Five construction site, there have been a few issues there.

Ride in groups and be safe everyone.

stainbank nature reserve

Update on Stainbank, I ride there a lot. The last few years there are minimal incidents. I think it is as safe as anywhere, probably got more chance getting mugged riding round the suburbs.

Iam glad your kid is ok... 

Thanks KingTJ. It was my four year old nephew's riding buddy who was targetted.

Update on Stainbank, I ride there a lot. The last few years there are minimal incidents. I think it is as safe as anywhere, probably got more chance getting mugged riding round the suburbs.

Yeah, have ridden there for many years and never had a problem. 

Incident at PMB BMX/Cycle track.

Alex Park is so dodgy. It's a pity as the BMX track is there but you wouldn't catch me taking my kids there. I don't even use it as drive through thoroughfare anymore.

Fun place for the kiddies is Cascades. Lots of open ground. Pump track. Close to the shops.

Alex Park is so dodgy. It's a pity as the BMX track is there but you wouldn't catch me taking my kids there. I don't even use it as drive through thoroughfare anymore.

Fun place for the kiddies is Cascades. Lots of open ground. Pump track. Close to the shops.

They have regular weekly track days for the kids which should be safe enough. It is only other times that are an issue.

post-1532-0-60393200-1439394704_thumb.jpg

They have regular weekly track days for the kids which should be safe enough. It is only other times that are an issue.

Yeah. Obviously organized events are different (one would assume). Still not a great area at all.

• 1 year later...

Good day KZN Gents,

I have a holiday booked in April in Uvongo and wants to bring my Road bike with for training. I am not sure which routes are safe or unsafe. your advice on this will be greatly appreciated! even better, Is there maybe a riding community that rides together in that area that I can be put in touch with?

Thanks and Regards

Cobus