Numb hands

dagwood

Is there any one else that experienced numb hands while cycling....

Any Physio's or Doctors that can help....

Thanks

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went for a bike set up and still nothing changed....some people say I am putting to much weight on my hands .... Eish it is getting to me....

Yeah, it is a common problem.

Get yourself some soft bar tape and some Specialized gloves, the had a Body Geometry design that alleviates pressure on the Ulnar nerve in the hand.

From their website:

Nearly 50% of cyclists suffer from hand numbness while riding, which

can throw a wrench in the longevity and enjoyment of your ride. Since

the culprit behind tingly hands is compression of the ulnar nerve (also

responsible for that shooting sensation when knocking your funny bone),

the trick is putting some cushion between the heel of your palm and the

bars.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqSection.jsp?sid=EquipGlovesRoad&eid=1366

I have removed my bar ends. Was holding the bars with the bar end digging into the soft tissue in the palm. Much better now. Dont hold the bar so tight either.

Seems to be a common problem.

It happens to me often on longer rides (around 60 km plus).

There are a number of schoolsof thought as to the reason, ranging from your position on the bike, to grabbing (holding) the handlebars too tight.

Try to relax while riding and try to change your grip on the bars whileriding.

Flex your arms from time to time by lifting them up (one at a time please) and flexing your fingers while riding.

Take two disprin and call me in the morning. 

Its my right hand more than my left hand....I rode a race with one hand already.....I did the set up late last year....

Thanks for all the info will try all the options available ....

Another thought on the topic - The pressure on your hands might be due to under developed core muscles.

Make sure you're not "resting" your entire upper body on your hands. Will be interesting to hear if you suffer from shoulder and neck pains!

Dagwood - I find that when i am unfit this happens to me as well, because I put alot of my weight on my upper body, esp when I start getting tired.

But when my fitnes starts improving it goes away.

My set up is 100% and I have the comfortable gloves and bar tape and all the rest, for me personally it just simply depends on my fitness level.

my 2c

this is going to sound like an odd question - but how do you stop yourself from holding on the bar to tight? My palms get sore, and then the pins and needles start. Just a case of improving core fitness?

I had the a similar problem with my hands going numb.  I'm a programmer by profession and so perhaps leave my hands resting on the desk in addition to putting pressure on the end of my palms on the bike.

I got hold of a set of grips with a bulge in the middle and positioned them so that the bulge was inside my palm, so that the ends of my palms did not touch the grips at all.  Worked for me.

its called handle bar paulsy. basically the ulnar nerve which runs to the bottom of your thumb get pinched and inflamed which causes numbness. Its extrememly common. Ive had it a couple times, but it generally went away after a few hours. Not sure if you have a mtb/road bike, but i have a mtb and i put bar ends onto it which helped massively. you need to change your hand position every 10 minutes or so. bar ends just added a few more hand positions. i occasionally get it now but its very mild, gone within 30 minutes. you actually get special grips called argo grips or something. cyclelab has them and they got huge pads on them. R700 though.