air shocks

Slowbee

On the topic of air in shocks - I've pumped my shock (Reba) - with the pump I got with the shock, and I get it to the pressure it says on the sticker on the side of the shock (it lists weight vs. pressure). But it almost feel like I cannot release the pump hose quickly enough. While un-screwing the pump hose from the valve - it sounds like air escapes. Is this air escaping from the hose/pump, or from the shock ? And what should I do - over-inflate the shock and just unscrew the hose quicker ? 

If I bring a shock pump do I get a glimpse of the butt? At least I can keep the Specialized ..........

LOLLOL sneaky sneaky BB..

can you be here at 4h30?  I need to be on my bike at 5h00 Big%20smileWink

On the topic of air in shocks - I've pumped my shock (Reba) - with the pump I got with the shock' date=' and I get it to the pressure it says on the sticker on the side of the shock (it lists weight vs. pressure). But it almost feel like I cannot release the pump hose quickly enough. While un-screwing the pump hose from the valve - it sounds like air escapes. Is this air escaping from the hose/pump, or from the shock ? And what should I do - over-inflate the shock and just unscrew the hose quicker ?  [/quote']

No, it happens. This is why you need a decent shock pump. Have a look at one of my earlier posts in this thread. There's a link to a Topeak shock pump that solves that problem.

With a "normal" shock pump you will almost always lose some air which makes proper set up difficult.

On the topic of air in shocks - I've pumped my shock (Reba) - with the pump I got with the shock' date=' and I get it to the pressure it says on the sticker on the side of the shock (it lists weight vs. pressure). But it almost feel like I cannot release the pump hose quickly enough. While un-screwing the pump hose from the valve - it sounds like air escapes. Is this air escaping from the hose/pump, or from the shock ? And what should I do - over-inflate the shock and just unscrew the hose quicker ?  [/quote']

No, it happens. This is why you need a decent shock pump. Have a look at one of my earlier posts in this thread. There's a link to a Topeak shock pump that solves that problem.

With a "normal" shock pump you will almost always lose some air which makes proper set up difficult.

I've been told that this qucik noise of 'escaping' air when you unscrew the pump is the air inside that little hose and NO air comes out of the fork!

Not true. The air in the hose will not come out at a speed unless under pressure. Like if you were to pump it. The high pressure let-off noise you hear is definitely coming from the fork/shock and maybe some from the shock pump.

Re-attach your shock pump immediately after pumping the fork/shock and look at the psi reading. It will almost always be a little less than you pumped it to.

The reading will always be less if you attach the hose afterwards - as the air from the shock has to fill up the hose first, up to where the guage sits, so effectively you enlarge the camber filled with high pressure air, and a larger chamber means a lower pressure, hence the lower pressure on the guage.

Maybe not a bad thing cause I read a while ago that the biggest mistake made by weekend warrior MTBr's was pumping their shock/fork too hard and having their rebound too slow ........