Bike Hut Service

DeltaOscar

In Oct 2008 I bought a new Rocky Mountain ETSX50 frame and a new Marzocchi XC600 fork from Bike Hut in Noordhoek, which I built up over the next 2 months as and when I had cash/time.

After 3 rides, and putting on about 80kms the fork began spewing oil and would not hold air.

I called Bike Hut who told me very sorry, no problem, will be fixed under warranty, usually takes about 3 days. So I dropped the bike off with them.

5 weeks later, after numerous calls, e-mails and just generally being given the run around, I get told by Bike Hut that I must call the agents myself to sort this out.

So I mail them to get some clarity.

I receive a call from the agents.

I get told that the issue is that Bike Hut owes them some money and can't have the fork back. That's why it's taking so long.

I explain that the fork and the bike belong to me and have been bought and paid for.

I then get asked to produce invoices to support this.

Eventually I receive a mail saying that they have shipped the repaired fork plus a set of white Funn lock on grips as a peace offering to Bike Hut.

I am assured that I will have my bike for the weekend.

Bike Hut call me at 6 on friday to ask me if i'd like to fetch the bike or can they deliver to me.

I ask them to deliver the next day, as i have plans.

We arrange for delivery to my house at 1.

I get a call at 2 the next day to say they are on their way.

I was on the road at the time so ask them to sms me their address in Constantia as it's closer to me, and it will save them a trip.

No sms arrived, no one calls.

Saturday, Sunday and Monday go by.

I mail the agents on monday, their response is "Sorry, nothing to do with us, we're not responsible for which shop you chose to use"

Bike arrives unannounced at 6:30 on monday evening.

No white grips, and with a stem bolt thread stripped.

It's pity because Robin is a really nice guy and always pleasant to deal with. But I won't again.

I have dealt with them in the past and cannot say that I was impressed with the level of service offered. If your bike is in for a service you have to call them to remind them to remind you when its ready for collection which is difficult as the phone goes unanswered for hours at a time!

I cannot believe the guys are so cheap as to not include the gripsThumbs%20Down seriously pathetic man.... 

My mate had some Junior T forks serviced there.. it was in for an oil change...R300 bucks

He picked it up a month or so later, new bushings, new seals new everything...R1200

However when he put the fork on the bike the bushings made weird clanking noise.. he took it back.. they stripped the fork put new bushings in and charged him R300 bucks for oil..

I Phoned them oneday for a Oddesy euro BB for my jump bike,  So I phone them get price and all, tel them Im comming to pick it up all the way from town, what time do they close? so I rush through to the shop ask them for the part, guy tells me he has no stock...

What a ****.

I have been put of Marzocci for life and I will never deal with them again.

I don't think the brand or the distributor is at fault. From what I infer from the previous posting, BOS1000's bike was in at a bike shop?

They screwed up. I don't believe the "replace the bushings" story. Those bushings are press-fit and require some special tools to remove, as well as special skills. However, that's not the primary reason I think there's something fishy.  There is nothing a mechanic can do to damage the bushings so that they make clunking noises afterwards. Something else clunked, not the worn bushings.

The Marzocchi agent is in George, so you can imagine the difficulty of getting the fork back to you in a few days.

As for the oil charge. Unfortunately the oil is expensive (not as bad as Shimano brake oil though) and if you have to strip the fork, the oil is lost. Even new, fresh oil. However, it sounds to me like they should have absorbed the cost of the second batch of oil 'cause they left something loose inside in the first place.

Marzocchi forks are well made. I like the fact that they use only one type of oil where others use two different oils. They do have a lot of it though and it is expensive.

Servicing a fork produces a dillemma for the bike shop. There's usually no need to replace any of the seals unless there is an obvious leak or the fork gradually over a ride looses air or such.

The service kits are available, in Rox in anyway, as three different kits. Air, top, etc. No need to replace them all. However, if you don't replace one and it fails two weeks down the line, your reputation is shot.

I prefer to be conservative and tell the customer that I haven't replaced all the parts. But it is a gamble.

BTW, not many bike shops have the facility to strip and repair forks and they send it back to the agents. Hence the delays.

It remains important to service forks regularly though. Have a look at my report of a ruined fork in the Free Fork Service thread. I have some photos of what happens to neglected forks.

"hijack"

if you know you are not going to be riding for a while, should you service the fork when you start riding again?

does storing a bike with a wheel against a wall damage the shock at all ?

I don't mind waiting for work to be done but:

If it takes 10 days, don't tell me 3.

Don't involve me in the mismanagement of your store.

Don't give up and tell me to sort it out myself.

The fork itself is awesome, and I'm loving it now.

Honesty goes a long way in a business/client relationship.

"hijack"

if you know you are not going to be riding for a while' date=' should you service the fork when you start riding again?

does storing a bike with a wheel against a wall damage the shock at all ?

[/quote']

No, there's nothing that (reasonable) time can deteriorate inside.

Store it any way you like. No damage from any type of storage.

I've also had an unpleasant experience with them.  Bought some Velotex bib shorts form them in Dec 07.  they started ripping at the seams after the first ride.  After numerous phone calls, they put me on to Velotex who were equally pathetic in attending to my query.  I ended up laughing them both off and putting up with what I had.  What a pity 'cos the guys at Bike Hut seem pretty genuine.  I suspect they are a little out of their depth.

Johan Bornman

I prefer to be conservative and tell the customer that I haven't replaced all the parts. But it is a gamble.

BTW, not many bike shops have the facility to strip and repair forks and they send it back to the agents. Hence the delays.

It remains important to service forks regularly though. Have a look at my report of a ruined fork in the Free Fork Service thread. I have some photos of what happens to neglected forks.

Johan Its this part I would have liked to get from them, The call to warn my friend that he is going to have to fork out another R1000 for his fork while he expected to pay R300.

I Understand the difficulty in the industry and that others somtimes suppliers make shops look bad and vice versa. But this stuff is Fundemental customer service.

Can I ask you, What fork do you ride? My RS revelation started feeling weird the last 2 months..almost feels like a elastomer fork, weird.. not plush anymore.. Like theirs some air or oil where there shouldnt be..I cal let all the air out and pump it up again.. mabe I should do that... on the other hand I last serviced it in sept,  Guess I should take it in. Do forks need more regular service in summer?

Would you say I can service it Myself? I have serviced my old manitou Sherman and can bleed brakes etc..or would you leave it to the shop?

Thanks for Your Quality posts bud, I appreciate some wisdon through experiance..Thumbs%20Up

Cut cut cut cut

Can I ask you' date=' What fork do you ride? My RS revelation started feeling weird the last 2 months..almost feels like a elastomer fork, weird.. not plush anymore.. Like theirs some air or oil where there shouldnt be..I cal let all the air out and pump it up again.. mabe I should do that... on the other hand I last serviced it in sept,  Guess I should take it in. Do forks need more regular service in summer?

Would you say I can service it Myself? I have serviced my old manitou Sherman and can bleed brakes etc..or would you leave it to the shop?

Thanks for Your Quality posts bud, I appreciate some wisdon through experiance..Thumbs%20Up
[/quote']

My fork? Oh dear. You won't be impressed. It's an ancient old thing, celebrated its 10th birthday last year.

Since forks are required to move up and down very fast, much faster than you can compress it whilst standing next to it and pushing on the bars, even a little bit of stiction makes a huge difference.

Stiction, or static friction, is that "type" of friction that is only there up until the point where the object starts to move. Perhaps you can recall your high school experiment where you "towed" a brick across the desk using a newton scale. Just before the brick moved, the scale gave the highest reading and once the brick moved, the reading was considerably smaller.

Forks suffer the same malady and has to overcome stiction each time the slider changes direction - either up or down. Therefore, even the smallest bit of stiction increase makes the fork handle completely differently. In fact, it doesn't do its job anymore and you may as well have a rigid fork from a roadholding perspective.

Stiction is created mostly by dirt buildup behind the top wiper seals and foam rings. At worse, the oil that's supposed to lubricate that area becomes gunked up and forms a gritty putty. This creates a lot of stiction and hence, handling problems.

Stiction prevents the spring from moving fast enough. Strangely though, the two dampers are supposed to add friction - but with as little stiction as possible, if that makes sense.

The damping perfomance decreases as the oil gets contaminated and internal leaks develop.

Upon opening, most forks don't display any symptoms of malfunction. However, a simple oil change and fresh grease on the wiper seals and a washed and cleaned foam ring makes a huge difference.

Many mechanics are too liberal with your money and insist on replacing everything each time the fork is opened. This is unnecessary.

You say your fork feels weird. That doesn't tell me much, unfortunately.

However, if you are reasonably competent and have some tools (24mm socket, allen keys, a small screwdriver and a large oil pan) you can service a Rox. The service manuals are even online.

Modify your modus operandi. Instead of using a seal puller, use a screwdriver like you would use it to open a beer bottle. But don't use the seal as a fulcrum, put a piece of wood there so as to not damage the seal. Inspect it, clean it and grease it. Any grease is fine.

Forget about the dire warnings about only using Red Rum (Rox' oil) and Judy Butter (Rox' grease).

Long story, I can't put it all in here. But do it yourself. Do it often. If the rides are wet and dusty, the oil will be contaminated.

Just this week I found a fork with only water inside, no oil.

I've posted the photos in the Free Fork Service post.

Now thats a post..Thanks JB, Unfortunately My fork doesnt have stiction (half the post)LOL

It just feels rubbery on compression Instead of more liniar and supple..

The service, I will klap It this weekend..

I just wrota an essay like yours about tyres on the MAxxis poll, then I pressed "TAB" accidentally and my whole essay dissapeared. So now Im the moor in.