CHAIN LENGHTS

Loopenval

I have just fitted a SRAM XO medium rear derailer. Because of the shorter cage, the chain lenght needs to be adjusted. Is there a rule of thumb to determine the chain lenght or is it trial and error ?

Yeah, put the chain on the large chain ring and the largest cog on the back, without going through the derailleur. Just ignore the drailleur for now.

Measure this and mark the chain, then add 2 full links and break the chain at that point.

Remember to use a gold chain link, it makes life easier to take the chain off to clean.

HammerHed2009-02-12 09:14:31

Hammerhead

Questions:

1 .Can you get the chainlink at any cycle shop?

2. Is it easier than using you chainbreaker to carry a road repair?

When I put on a new chain I put it in small blade at front and smallest cog at rear and make sure the rear der can juuust tension the chain in that gear...has always worked for me!

Guess the initial length.  Then, shift to the biggest front and biggest rear sprockets. Look at the angle of the jockey cage from the horizontal. It should be approximately 45 degrees. Add or subtract links to get this preferred angle. Remember that one set of links make a nig difference and resist the urge to add four links at once.

When I fit a new chain I shift into the largest chainring and smallest cassette sprocket. The two jockey wheels on the derailler should then line up vertically. ie the top one should be directly on top of the bottom one.

Hammerhead

Questions:

Yes you can get a Quick Link at most shops. They differ according to chaind width (speed).

A Quick Link is not a solution for field repairing. If your chain breaks, you still have to remove the two sideplates so that you end up with two inner links. Always carry a chain breaker.  If you don't have tools, a spare Quick Link can only replace a lost/broken Quick Link.

Hammerhead

Questions:

Yea, I guess. If you got an Sram chain then get an Sram chain link, the Gold one.

Hammerhead

Questions:

Yea' date=' I guess. If you got an Sram chain then get an Sram chain link, the Gold one.
[/quote']

There's no need to match the brand. They all work with any chain of the right width.

Also, why the obsession with gold? The 10-speed powerlock is black, the 9-Speed one is gold and the 8-speed one is silver.

You don't get to choose your colour, your chain chooses according to compatibility.