Apparently we deserve to be knocked over

Daniel XTR

I've read this whole thread, and what confuses me a little is how kiepie could possibly have inferred what he did. Clearly he either hasn't read it at all, and is trying to incite a cello, or a double bass...

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh look' date=' another one for the troll collection... Welcome to The Hub smiley5.gif [/quote']Thank you, didn't expect the head troll to welcome me, but thanks again!

smiley4.gif

Ok here goes ... I've read through this thread and read through the one on CarToDay and just saw someone post the following on that site:

You know, whether its legal or not, one needs to apply some common sense.

I've ridden with Roastie in the UK, I ride a motorbike, and I drive cars. I can understand most of the argument from all sides.

What everyone seems to think, is its their "right", as with the majority of the country, to do as they please.

End of the day, what is their "right", is not necessarily the smart thing to do. Roastie and I would ride 2 abreast on little country roads, and when cars were coming, move to single file. However, on A and B roads, we NEVER ride side by side, regardless of whether there are cars.

I ride a motorbike, and ride it defensively. While its my right to be on the road too, standing by my rights would have gotten me killed. I've moved over to allow passes and such.

Cyclists riding abreast are being silly. There is a large speed diffirential between cycles and cars. Cars will need to pass, and they will get impatient. The same happens when there is an overloaded truck or something doing 10km/h up a hill with a blind corner, people will try overtake.

Riding with a little sensibility will ensure a better sharing of the roads. I'd love to see any counter argument to this.

End of the day, bicycles are the minority on the road. They are also the ones that have no chance in a collision. Why they'd put themselves in danger because its "their right" to be there is beyond me.

Whilst I don't think much of the posters on that site that think its helluva funny to try and scare/clip/hit cyclists this poster (think his name is KillBoy) has a point.  As cyclists we have the right to ride on the road. But with rights come responsibilities, in this case the responsibility to obey the law. 

As many have already said, legally we as cyclists must ride single file unless overtaking another cyclist. So its quite simple ... if you're riding two abreast and someone hoots at you, you've not upheld your responsibility and therefore have broken the law. Don't get all agro and flip the motorist one regardless of what you think of him/her - you've broken the law and you're wrong. 

It doesn't help saying that motorists are impatient or also jump red robots - that's just childish. Its tragic when a cyclist gets killed and sometimes the motorist is to blame and sometimes it is purely an accident and sadly, sometimes the cyclist is to blame.

I think an attitude "shift" is the only thing that is going to make a difference. If you're in a bunch on a busy road and you get hooted at, rather just back down, move out of the way and lift a hand to say you're sorry.  You might just change one motorists point of view.  Somethings got to give somewhere and why shouldn't it start with cyclists?

inciting the orcherstra is not the aim, to highlight the difference in attitiudes is the goal, but the similarites are actually striking.

Slave2Love  -  the jokers on the Car forum have havin a good ol go at you !!!! Angry   Oh wait my popcorn is allmost ready LOL

Apparently they love my sig. Cool hey?

Wonder how long it'll take for one of them to knock it off. Wait, they have car badges for sig's. That's original.

Kida like a bragboard.

'K so I'll change mine to 900 year old Penny Farthing.

hahahahahah. Dimwits.

This from "the Mighty Dictator" on the formum of the brainless.

Only thing someone like that will understand is 95 grains of lead. 

I agree with "The Mighty Dictator". His prose may not be of Shakespearean

proportions, but the points he makes are valid:

- cyclists  are NOT allowed to ride two or more abreast and we have

to accept that until the law changes;

- some cyclists DO hog the road and **** every one else. I know because

I have either ridden with some of these morons or seen them on the

road.

- I appreciate it when a motorist gives me a polite hoot to let me know

he is coming up behind me. It means he is looking out for me and

it gives me a chance to ensure I am keeping left. I wave to him

(and not the one-fingered wave, either) and it makes things much more

pleasant for both of us.

- any cyclist who thinks he can argue with 2 tons of metal, no matter

how right he is, is in for a surprise. I know, because I felt how much the

car hurts when I hit one. Not much...

I walk, I run, I cycle, I ride motorbikes, I drive cars, I drive trucks and I

drive armoured vehicles so I have no bias. Some motorists are pigs, but

the so are a lot of cyclists.

I reckon the problem is that when cyclists pull on lycra it often restricts

the blood flow to their brains.

Cyclists are often their own worst enemies and until we sort the cycling

scum out, we are always going to all be labelled the same...

This from "the Mighty Dictator" on the formum of the brainless.

Only thing someone like that will understand is 95 grains of lead. 

I agree with "The Mighty Dictator". His prose may not be of Shakespearean
proportions' date=' but the points he makes are valid:
  road.
  (and not the one-fingered wave, either) and it makes things much more
  pleasant for both of us.

[/quote']

ClapClapClap

Whilst I don't think much of the posters on that site that think its helluva funny to try and scare/clip/hit cyclists this poster (think his name is KillBoy) has a point.

I think an attitude "shift" is the only thing that is going to make a difference. If you're in a bunch on a busy road and you get hooted at' date=' rather just back down, move out of the way and lift a hand to say you're sorry.  You might just change one motorists point of view.  Somethings got to give somewhere and why shouldn't it start with cyclists?

[/quote']

Clap Clap Clap

Alida. Killboy was about the only one who actually made a point using any form of intelligence.

As for some of them, they were so full of  *****'s that it was very difficult to understand (unless you happen to have swallowed an epxletive dictionary for breakfast.

Serious intelligence coming from that world. Then we wonder that some motorists just don't know how to drive.

Used to be there was a minimum requirement. (You had to have a brain and it had to work.)

How some things change and not always for the better.

good one Jmac.

When I'm on my bike I use the road and treat motorists the same way I would want to be treated by cyclists when I'm in the car. If you are a d**s on the bike i bet you are one of those that gets upset when other cyclists are behave like idiots.

road.

(and not the one-fingered wave' date=' either) and it makes things much more

pleasant for both of us.

[/quote']

I agree. What makes me angry is the attitude of motorists who somehow feel that because a cyclists is in the wrong, it is then fair game to mow them down. Which is precisely what was being advocated on the car website.

As has been repeated a few times, tolerance and respect on both sides of the divide are the only solution here. Each side trying to prove the other a bigger **** will only end in tears.

(That said, apologies for my cheap shot about the troll earlier. Said in the heat of the moment, but I'm not the type to hide the post.)droo2009-02-16 07:14:08

Would this explain why baggy wearing mountain bikers seem to be a fair amount brighter. Big%20smile

Running fast for the door.

markStockton2009-02-16 07:24:04

Dick Tay tor quoted thus

Dear Slave2Love,

I had assumed from my limited interactions with scum such as yourself that this is the language of the commoners. In addition, the obvious lack of ability of the use of the English language on your site had led me to believe that to get my point across I would have to use words (and profanities) that a person of your ilk would understand.

I have personally witnessed cyclists using obscene profanities to fellow motorists and pedestrians whilst disregarding the law. I could not be sure that you would understand what I was saying without the use of words that are such an integral part of your species. I am most interested and humoured by the continued threats of direct violence by yourself and others on your site. I guess this shows that my presumptions about cyclists' mentality was not misplaced.

To whic my reply is:

Don't flatter yourself. I was not making a threat, I was stating a fact. There are some poeple who have attitudes such as yours whom, I believe are not fit to be in a civilised society. Unfortuantely, the law and the constitution make it illegal to put people like you out of your apparent misery.

The fact that we all understand expletives and profanity does not put us all on the same level.

Perhaps one day you will understand that assumptions are the fother of all muck ups and you assuming that we are all the same is exactly that, a major, big league ballsup.

It amounts to the same thing when we say that motorists are all brain dead. That is an incorrect assumption. There are a few decent ones, but when the likes of you make such utterly ridiculous statements, well let's just say that it truly exposes your lack of compassion and understanding. It shows me that you are one of those who should report to your nearest clinic to be put down.

Your fancy words don't mask your lack of humanity and that my fine form "friend" puts you squarely in the animal class. Wait, I got that wrong, animals have more compassion for their fellows that you. I withdraw that compliment. 

Slave2Love2009-02-16 07:32:25

Wot's a hynaity? That thingy that shows if a chick is a virgin? Why'd he point out that yours is gone?