How to adjust a rear de-railleur

MichuvanWyk

Hi,

I hope somebody can help, as I had enough of these cycling shops ripping us off. I love my MTBing, but I'm not that good at the tehcnical stuff (yet). I had some diff with my XT rear derailleur for some time time. It's as if it gets in between two gears and jump up and down when paddling. I had it with 3 diff shops the past two weeks - guess what : IT'S STILL NOT RIGHT. And the worst of all is when I tell them what my prob is, they look at me as if I'm madd.

Is there a site where us dummies can download stuff like: HOW TO SET UP YOUR OWN BIKE...AND SAFE TIME, MONEY, AND TEARS??

Please help!

go onto you tube and search for clips on ''how to adjust a rear deraileur'' ive done it and its pretty easy. It actually performs a pretty simple function, and it all comes down to cable tension and alignment. Good Luck!!

That's why I got into fixing my own bike...

For derailleur, go to either the Shimano or SRAM sites (I

presume you don't have Campag on your MTB), look for

Support and then down load the technical manual.

There are also lots of tutorial type web sites around. Just use

Google.

These'll tell you how to set up your derailleur.

The first time will take two hours and you'll &^%* it up.

The next time will be half that and the result much better.

After a little while you'll be a pro.

It's worthwhile taking the time to learn...

1st think is to make sure that your cables and housings are clean and cables not stretched. If your cables are not in good nick, you will not get your shifting to work crisply. The deraileur adjustment is pretty simple after that. I suspect that if the gears are jumping up and down you could have a bent hanger or deraileur.

Yeah, bike tutor is probably the easiest to use and you can download the vids to use again later or you can just save the text to refresh your memory.

O yeah - maybe you can ask one of the hubbers in your area even to show you how to, then he/she can 'unset' the derailer and you can set it again.

Two or three times like that with some assistance and you will be well on your way.

1st think is to make sure that your cables and housings are clean and cables not stretched. If your cables are not in good nick' date=' you will not get your shifting to work crisply. The deraileur adjustment is pretty simple after that. I suspect that if the gears are jumping up and down you could have a bent hanger or deraileur.[/quote']

Very important. A related easy mistake to make: Ensure that the main tension spring is lubricated. If it's not, your upshifts (to smaller cogs) won't happen crisply, and you'll make the mistake of compensating with slacker cable tension, which will in turn mess up your downshifts. The same effect is caused by cables being worn, you won't upshift crisply because the cable doesn't release smoothly, and you'll once again compensate incorrectly.

I don't think lubricating a spring helps anything. Lune is for parts that rub againsts each other (friction). There is no friction in a spring. Baybe the little pins where it wraps around but not the spring itself. And have you ever tried getting that clean when the dust builds up on the oil.