Help me lighten the bike

Weight Weenie

hey guys an gals

I recently bought a 08 GT Zaskar pro carbon hardtail mtb and ive now started to slowly pimp it a bit to make it lighter as well.  It was 11,6kg and now it should be about 10,2kg but I want to try maybe get a sub 10kg bike here.

Ive now got kcnc bar, stem, post, bar ends, spacers, chainringbolts and skewers. 

Ztr 355 rims, dt spokes, blue nipples, avid 160mm rotors 6bolt and dt 240s hubs with Bontrager jones XR team tubeless ready tyres (485g each) stans converted with olympic strip and 60g sealant per wheel. 

fox f100rl fork, bontrager foam grips, canecreek headset, suunto computer, selle italia slr xc gel flow saddle, bontrager racelight cages, pro slapsock.

Full xt group with xtr shifters.

I dont think i want to go xtr, as i could save allot on a crank but its very expensive, dont want to replace the fork either.  Maybe xtr f and r deraillers at a pinch.

Looking at lighter disk rotors like alligators, ceramic hope bb, carbon cages, kcnc jockey wheels, kcnc road seatclamp, powercordz, goodridge blue brake hoses.

any ideas? want to drop about 250g but it seems nigh impossible...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

let me first ask you this... how much do weigh and whats your height? (if you know your body fat % you could post that too.)

Take your bar ends off. After a couple of rides you'll learn to ride without them. Loose the computer.

Crank will be a big weight saver but weight weenieism is not cheap.

My advice. Give your bike a big hug tonight. Shed a tear. Tell her you love her even though her backside is a bit big. Then kiss, make up and give her a good ride.Thumbs%20Up

remove the bar ends.

what pedals are you using?

cut off the excess seatpost  - must be at least 100mm into the frame.

remove the bar ends.

what pedals are you using?

cut off the excess seatpost  - must be at least 100mm into the frame.

very good suggestions this. Look Carbon Ti is the lightest out there.

Also maybe look at a double chainring with a DA front derailleur. Also look at those light KMC chains but not the Ti ones.

Trim the bars to the correct width.

Sell the fork to me and get a lighter one, I don't mind riding those HEAVY fox forks. Veloce2009-02-19 23:45:33

Many people don't understand what being a weight weenie is about. Practicality and economics often fly out the window - so suggestions like go to the toilet before you ride or eat less after you ride are deemed to be ridiculous. Being a WW is a hobby for some, and a religion for others.

Its about titanium bolts, and aluminium rotors, double chainrings and carbon doo dats. Its about 5g here and 2g there and possibly a bottle of laxatives.

Haha thanks splat you hit the nail on the head there!

Well I weigh 60kg, im 21 and 1,76 meters I think so losing weight is going to mean losing muscle mass and not fat, and yeah I like to make a good dump and a wee before i go riding LOL

Yeah the scott frames are nice and light, but the gt I got at a good price originally ,so scotts with similiar spec way out of my budget and Ive always wanted a gt since I was little, so this is like a dream come true for me!  I love the geometry and strength of the gt.

Fox is 200g heavier than others but flexes less and the suspension is better IMO.  Dont see the point in flogging it yet, specialy to you lot of vultures hahaha !

New crankset I think is a bit expensive, but from selling the old stuff I havent spent that much on it after the purchase.

I will keep the bar ends as I like to use them when climbing and to give me more hand positions on long rides.  I wont get a lighter saddle, the slr is real thin, next step is like a Tune speed needle and thats just unrideable and expensive, I got the saddle mahala!

any idea what the deraillers would save me? 

And  mampara whats the weight on the kmc chain? is it durable?

Im still waiting for the wheels to complete the bike but will post a pic then.

I ride eggbeater sl's, 4ti way to expensive and they arent blue haha!

How about a 160 rear and 140 front rotor? i dont use the front much.

Ti bolts seem smart, but ill keep the computer or otherwise how will I train? 

Bars will be cut, I need the longer seatpost but might shorten it later...