Race Ethics Lacking in "Developement Cyclist"

Pickles

Hmmmmmmmm looks and sounds all to familiar i must admit! 

I was switched by 'suprise suprise' 1 of the SELATI riders in the Elite bunch last year. Unfortunately general sence isn't something u can teach. What some of the ppl are doing there i dont know but it seems like just any1 can come ride elites now. Its not just the developement guys i must admit but most of the time it is! A me, myself and i mentality!

I hope your quest 2get something done is fruitfull though, as still nothing has come of our suggestions that would ultimately make racing more safe and more competative!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is "developement cyclist" (sic) a euphemism?

No' date=' not a euphamism! I said developement rider, and that's what I meant.
[/quote']

then explain the quotation marks in the subject line?

'developement' riders being youngsters that are relatively new to the sport. Assisted/sponsored up-and-coming cyclists. In a state of sporting advancement!  They are identifiable as developement cyclists by their kit. Don't split hairs Holy. Stick to the point. These guys cause weekly accidents. Bad ones. More so than usual. They do not take any cognizance of their fellow riders, nor their own, safety.

I believe that if a sponsor is going to put their company's name and logo all over a cyclist, they should also put some effort into ensuring said cyclist is not a menace in a race. Be it with training or in any other relevant manner.
Pickles2009-02-21 10:50:49

A me' date=' myself and i mentality!

!

[/quote']

Online Activity

People Online: 99

Guest(s): 62

Member(s): 37

Capri Wheeler, FowlStArt, Clivey, vasago, Johannes, Brighter-Lights, vermaak, The Guy in Pink, Gromit, Nish4, ingsma, TheLegend, Hook It, click, me,myself & I, Oiltrash, Pickles, rock, Voigt, JT24, hot stuff, walker, Skye, connie, Nix TCR, holy roller, Dobby, Jays, Windbreaker, 1Minuteboy, 1kTT, Chrispy, Roux 1, fees, Nothingness, kilroy

is "developement cyclist" (sic) a euphemism?

No' date=' not a euphamism! I said developement rider, and that's what I meant.
[/quote']

then explain the quotation marks in the subject line?

'developement' riders being youngsters that are relatively new to the sport. Assisted/sponsored up-and-coming cyclists. In a state of sporting advancement!  They are identifiable as developement cyclists by their kit. Don't split hairs Holy. Stick to the point. These guys cause weekly accidents. Bad ones. More so than usual. They do not take any cognizance of their fellow riders, nor their own, safety.

I believe that if a sponsor is going to put their company's name and logo all over a cyclist, they should also put some effort into ensuring said cyclist is not a menace in a race. Be it with training or in any other relevant manner.

well, acsis used to get loads of publicity through their development elite team in the begining. after every race there used to be a thread with complaints about the ACSIS riders causing sh*t again LOL

Mention "Race Ethics" and I have a

<flashback>    Stage 4 on the '69 3 day Dunlop. It's  hot windy and dry day on Bulawayo motor race circuit, at about 60km into the race a Portuguese rider from Louren?o Marques comes alongside Raymond Hog on my left and requests " Aqua"  .

Raymond takes his bottle out, unscrews the top and pours the contents onto the tarmac where it instantly turns to steam.  Half a lap later Raymond signals our manager Vince for a fresh bottle....

</ Flashback>

I can agree with pickles being pissed off because once again it is a familiar name in cycling that was involved being acsis and by no means am i condoning this guys actions that caused the crash but the thing that most people forget about elite and other age groups racing is the speed and effort that goes into it.....

WOw i cant remember how many times i have been switched, cut off, and basically just pushed to the curb NOT only by development riders but by guys in actual pro teams... BUT i can agree the riders being brought through the ranks in the acsis squad are always an issue!!!

funny enough it happened to me and three other riders on sunday at the ride for sight by a certain podium finisher on the day being one of the jae brothers ok so we didnt fall but we anticipated what was going to happen and that made us all better off for it

NOT saying that this is the case but sometimes pickles it just so happens that there is a lapse of concentration from the rider that went down maybe due to fatigue, speed or a distraction

I am really sorry that your son is hurt and i hope the wounds heal quickly but remember that it is racing and you get crashes at all levels of the sport not due to development only it is one of the risks that one takes as soon as he steps over that cross bar

P.S. use a bit of merthyalate on the wounds if you can find some it will help out tremendously

I can agree with pickles being pissed off because once again it is a familiar name in cycling that was involved being acsis and by no means am i condoning this guys actions that caused the crash but the thing that most people forget about elite and other age groups racing is the speed and effort that goes into it.....

WOw i cant remember how many times i have been switched' date=' cut off, and basically just pushed to the curb NOT only by development riders but by guys in actual pro teams... BUT i can agree the riders being brought through the ranks in the acsis squad are always an issue!!!

funny enough it happened to me and three other riders on sunday at the ride for sight by a certain podium finisher on the day being one of the jae brothers ok so we didnt fall but we anticipated what was going to happen and that made us all better off for it

NOT saying that this is the case but sometimes pickles it just so happens that there is a lapse of concentration from the rider that went down maybe due to fatigue, speed or a distraction

I am really sorry that your son is hurt and i hope the wounds heal quickly but remember that it is racing and you get crashes at all levels of the sport not due to development only it is one of the risks that one takes as soon as he steps over that cross bar

P.S. use a bit of merthyalate on the wounds if you can find some it will help out tremendously[/quote']

I hear what you are saying, and I agree with you. I'm just mad because my kid is in a hellova lot of pain and bitterly disappointed because this incident is going to put his Argus prep way out. He's only 16 and it's hard for the youngsters to deal with this degree of disappointment. He said he didn't "have a hope-in-Hell" against this guy this morning, cos, as I've said, it wasn't a "hair's breadth" switch...it was half a bike. He wiped my son's front wheel out from underneath him. Anyway, its done. It's over, and we'll all move on from it now!

P.S. use a bit of merthyalate on the wounds if you can find some it will help out tremendously

No, no, no! Not methylate!

Do not let those wounds dry! Keep them moist with a mixture of Betadine and Vaseline paste (mix the two) and keep them dressed for 7-10 days. Change the dressing daily. I guarantee you that in two weeks you will only see minor remnants of this crash!

Sean Badenhorst2009-02-21 11:27:44

No' date=' no, no! Not methylate!Do not let those wounds dry! Keep them moist with a mixture of Betadine and Vaseline paste (mix the two) and keep them dressed for 7-10 days. Change the dressing daily. I guarantee you that in two weeks you will only see minor remnants of this crash! [/quote']

sean i was always told to use mertyloate maybe for my next crash i will try your method

No' date=' no, no! Not methylate!

Do not let those wounds dry! Keep them moist with a mixture of Betadine and Vaseline paste (mix the two) and keep them dressed for 7-10 days. Change the dressing daily. I guarantee you that in two weeks you will only see minor remnants of this crash!

[/quote']

With that I cannot agree more ,   use an ointment that does not have a perfume base to it.   The alcohol burns like crazy.  A mixture of betadine and vaseline is the best ..... use a two thirds betadine / one thirds vaseline mix.

Good luck son it hurts I know.  just learn out of it and stay away from the lot.  If one does come near, let him understand that if he comes any nearer, you are going to hand out pain.  he WILL stay clear.

or go and buy that plastic film from a chemist (can't remember what it is called and leave it on for 2 weeks. It will form a "bag" of  serum that promotes healing.

or go and buy that plastic film from a chemist (can't remember what it is called and leave it on for 2 weeks. It will form a "bag" of  serum that promotes healing.

I wonder about that fil/plaster thingies. A friend of mine had them on his wounds for a long time and evenutally it will start to get inflamed since you can't clean all dirt out of the wound. It looks quite nasty.

what do the peeps with a medical background say?

They are called op sites and they range in size from 5cm long and wide to about a metre hahaha and they are cheap as well