What are you willing to spend - realistic ranges for MTB and/OR road  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What are you willing to spend - realistic ranges for MTB and/OR road

• R10 000 - 15 000
    • R15 000 - 25 000
    • R25 000 - 35 000
    • R35 - 50 000
    • R50 000 +

Most of the value for money bikes are way down on the chart. I'm willing to spend up to 40K per bike, more on the road side.

Would be interesting to see what you guys think , either you have the money or not.

Come on - all of us has got limits to what your willing to pay for something. I see a lot of old oomies buying really expensive stuff and they cant ride for sh&t, but thats their problem.

LOL

I prefer to build my bikes up a bit at a time. That way, I can claim to be spending 'a bit there and a bit there' and wind up with a pretty decent ride over time. Without the instant dent that a full build makes in the bank balance.

there is not much in a bicycle and everything is mass produced and shared among different brands so I think paying over 10k for a bike is a rip off. I don't even think DA or Record stuff is worth the price.

Mampara - you might be right about the mass production, but there is a differance between lower groupos and DA or Record. Have 105 and had a few rides with DA - huge differance 4 me.

For carbon frames - yep mostly the same nowadays, but groupos and wheels- price makes a differance. Over 35 or 40 K is a waste for me again. don't have near the half of that but just saying.

Some ppl are willing to pay much more than the normal market price.

Friend got a cycle shop, The PINARELLO PRINCE - RRP is R 120 K, they buy it for R 80 K odd. Just shows how many ppl would pay anything to be on top of the style list. CRAZY stuff

Even for thehub, and in spite of it being a Monday, this is a pretty fockin random poll. Weirdos.

Even for thehub' date=' and in spite of it being a Monday, this is a pretty fockin random poll. Weirdos. [/quote']

Why the F is this a weird poll?Big%20smile

Mampara - you might be right about the mass production' date=' but there is a differance between lower groupos and DA or Record. Have 105 and had a few rides with DA - huge differance 4 me.

[/quote']

okay, take the Ti and now carbon bits out of a DA/Record groupsets, why are they better then lower end? Make the parts that work you have a winning formula. Sell 100 000 groupsets and not 400 000, 300 000, 200 000, 100 000 groupsets as model prices increase. All carbon frames come from the same place. Giant alone produces 100 000 plus a year, so why are they still expensive.

Everything that is not hand made and take 20+ man hours to make should be cheap(er).

Most of my bikes end up waaaaaaay under the 10000 bracket. typically less than 3k

for road it ends up a nice steel frame with 9 speed chorus, no fancy wheels. Just because someone needs to have the latest 10 speed, doesnt mean to say I can afford it as well, but if the secondhand price isnt too bad, i am willing to relieve the seller of them. I have bought a few 9 speed grouppos for under 1500 (and most was waay under)

i have also sold 9 speed ultegra-mix equipped bikes for around 3K on bikebay

Mampara - you might be right about the mass production' date=' but there is a differance between lower groupos and DA or Record. Have 105 and had a few rides with DA - huge differance 4 me.
[/quote']

okay, take the Ti and now carbon bits out of a DA/Record groupsets, why are they better then lower end? Make the parts that work you have a winning formula. Sell 100 000 groupsets and not 400 000, 300 000, 200 000, 100 000 groupsets as model prices increase. All carbon frames come from the same place. Giant alone produces 100 000 plus a year, so why are they still expensive.

Everything that is not hand made and take 20+ man hours to make should be cheap(er).

Yep, your right. but ppl pay that so the companys are just pumping what they can get. aggree that bikes are overpriced and you don;t really buy a better bike. my point on the groupo is that DA is much smoother and fater that the lower groupos same goes for Record. thats why I would pay more for those.

Don't mind the weight factore at all, just easier and smoother.

there is no under R10 000 option ?

Asgree. Ouch

I know I didn't put on a under 10 K bike. Mostly because the new prices are so high and under 10K is either 2nd hand or very low down on the range.

Also have a under 10K road bike and its great, but its a older version

I know I didn't put on a under 10 K bike. Mostly because the new prices are so high and under 10K is either 2nd hand or very low down on the range.

Also have a under 10K road bike and its great' date=' but its a older version
[/quote']

Yeah, but a lot of people will rather go that route. Your poll doesn't have room for them.