Any Wheelbuilders, please help?

knersis

Need help with the DT swiss calculator to determine the correct spokes.

Planning to build Hope Pro 2 hubs

Front

Rear

DT Swiss revolution spokes

and Sun ringle equliser rims (bought from Marius)

1. There is two type of hope 2 rear hubs on the calculator 135 mm and 150mm. How do i know which one CRC is selling ?

2. Does the DT swiss spokes on CRC include the nipples, which ones do i choose on the list?

3. How do i find the number of intersections (le. and ri.)?

Attached is a pic of the Chart, please help.

20090303_022949_dt_swiss_calc.jpg

knersis2009-03-03 03:50:20

Provided the hub spacing is correct, the measurement will be from hub nut to hub nut.

I will take a guess and say that CRC will supply the 135 mm.

Nipples will go according to your choice of spokes.

You should get nipples in your box of spokes.

If the spoke is a 2.0/1.5 the it means you need the 2.0 mm nipples and the nipple length will be 12 mm.

The spoke is then butted to 1.5mm.

The intersections depend on you 2 cross three cross and so it goes.

I hope this helps.

Boris' date=' hub nuts? Know a couple of those off the top of my head Bob, HR et al ..... Wink[/quote']

And you forgot Big Ben smiley36.gif

It looks like you're building a mountain bike wheel.

Some advice.

Go 3X (i.e. three intersections).

Get the shortest possible nipples you can get. It is only the blank bore on the nipple that changes length and they all have the same thread engagement. Long nipples can't substitute for too-short spokes.

All mountain bike wheels have 135mm dropouts. 150mm is four tandems and in this case, I suppose a MTB tandem since the standard tandem dropouot length is 145mm. Your hub must be 135mm to fit your MTB.

When you buy spokes by the box from the supplier, it includes nipples. CRC may or may not include nipples. Don't stress if they don't. They're a dime a dozen and freely available back home.

With Revolution spokes on a MTB you must round down the absolute length by 2mm. It is unclear from this picture whether they calculate the absolute or rounded down length for you. If I were you I'd take the absolute length minus 2mm. Since the absolute length will include a decimal, feel free to round down by up to 3mm, but no more. Do not round down by less than 1mm.

Are you absolutely sure you have someone who can build with Revolutions? Don't order them unless your builder understands the implications.

Hi Johan, thanks for the reply.

Can you recommend any good Wheelbuilders in the Western Cape who are familiar with Revolutions?

The other option is too use DMC Revolver hubs and Dt Swiss Competition spokes and end up with a slightly heavier built, but more $$$ in my pocket.

Knersis, I don't know anyone in CT who understands Revos - I am not saying there aren't any, I just don't know any.

I am not familiar with DMC hubs but you could just use the Competition spokes with the DT hubs, nothing stops you.

Competition spokes are only about 50 grams per MTB wheel heavier than Revolutions in anyway, so that's not a big loss.

Sorry, I meant DMR Revolver hubs. (about R1400 for both), seems to be popular on CRC, good reviews, much lighter than XT.

XT hubs are on special, less 20% (under R1000 for both hubs), also good reviews, but a bit heavy.  Are they reliable and good value for money?

The DT Swiss hubs are very expensive, more or less what the hope hubs cost.
knersis2009-03-03 07:32:57

You can't find a better and more reliable hub than the XT.

To replace all its bearings and service it should cost you no more than R50 per wheel. To do the same with these fancy poofter cartridge bearing hubs could be R400 before labour. I replaced someone's cartridge bearings in a PowerTap last week and the bearings alone came to R390.

I have a friend with a set of Dura Ace hubs circa 1997 or so. After many miles and dozens of services, we eventually had to replace the cones. Total amount was less than R300 per wheel. That may sound like a lot but not bad if you divide that by 12 years.

Cartridge bearings for wheels are generally too small for the job and just don't last. Bearing prices have gone up by 80% in November and twice this year already.

I'll get a cup-and-cone hub like XT.

Can you recommend any good Wheelbuilders in the Western Cape who are familiar with Revolutions?  

Perhaps speak to Kevin @ BMC. They are in Woodstock around the corner from Avron's (if I can use him as a landmark).

Or Shane @ Bowmans.

You can't find a better and more reliable hub than the XT.

To replace all its bearings and service it should cost you no more than R50 per wheel. To do the same with these fancy poofter cartridge bearing hubs could be R400 before labour. I replaced someone's cartridge bearings in a PowerTap last week and the bearings alone came to R390

Sounds like you were ripped of for the bearings - were they supplied by the powertap agent or di you buy them from SKF or the like?

Hi Johan, seems like no-brainer then will probably built a reliable set of Xt hubs with DT swiss Competition spokes.

I have a lightweight set of American classic 26 Wheels, this set is more for my training bike, so reliability > weight.