MTB Tyres

Canaris

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Maxxis Igniter on front and Detonator on back with liners and sludge and have not had a problem. Unlike someone who's tubeless tyre blew smileys/smiley2.gif

Soooo shut it!!! Can't help some ppl actually push the limites of there mtb'ssmileys/smiley2.gif gimmy any tyre and I'll break themsmileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley9.gif

Put the TT's on my bike last night - toyed with the idea of not putting the tire liners in, and then decided to rather play it safe. If anything - the new tires look quite impressive!

I have used tubeless Hutchinson Pythons with Stans for the past 2 years with only one flat in 5000 kms of offroad riding (including this years Epic). You have to replace the Stans every 4-6 months before it forms the white rat ("witrot") inside your tyre.

The rolling resistance on dirt roads are good but they suck in the mud (like the Larsen TTs). I saw a lot of riders using them during the Epic.

The biggest drawback is that the local distributor inflates the price of the Pythons to the point where it olmost doesn't make sense. I am fortunate to have a brother in the States who me the tyres from as required.

If your looking for a super fast racing try the Bontrager Revolt SS. Altough not the best when it comes to grip.. 

Best alround tubeless tyre - Bontrager XR!

Tried both stans and sludge, both are awesome the sludge just lasts a bit longer and seals quiker.

Soooo shut it!!! Can't help some ppl actually push the limites of there mtb'ssmileys/smiley2.gif gimmy any tyre and I'll break themsmileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley9.gif

You just ride the finnicky stuff. My Trek has seen many spectacular crashes and is still going strong

Had a blow-out on my Kenda Karma with Stans last sunday . On close inspection noticed that the Stans had actaully caused little bubbes inside the tyre and this was what made the tyre to go pop !

I once had little bubbes in my tyres...annoying little things!smileys/smiley36.gif

Not the first person to notice bubbles due to Stans.

However IME Maxis LArsen TT are pooo.

Sure they roll well but they offer no braking grip and cornering grip is nowhere near Kenda KArma's DTC or Michelin Comp S or Schwalbe Racing Ralph.These three are the best all round MTB tyres IME.

Currently I've been riding Bontrager Revolt SUper X Tubeless Readt which roll great offer predictable cornering if not high levels of grip.

Hutchinson New Python is still one of the best tyres around in my view. The newer tyres just don;t seem to have the rolling resistance, weight, grip relationship right.

On the Stan's front, Over the last 5 yrs I've been Tubeless, I've found it to be the;

most reliable

fastest to seal

easiest to replenish

most cost effective

sealant around.

I use it in the Vredenstein tubes on my road bike as well and I've not had a puncture in 2yrs (touch wood) 

no man not tiny bubbles !!!! little bubbles . It looks like the inner part of the tyre seperated from the outter shell smileys/smiley5.gif . I.E from the outside the tyre still looked perfect . never had this with my Larsons !! I will put the tyre in the tyreanalizerspectromagnet tonight and see if I can get any more info , failing that I will submit it to a torture test untill I get the truth !

Oh bubbles! I've actually had the same thing happening on a set of Pythons while using stans...?smileys/smiley7.gif

Tim I'm still stuck on "IME">? now I googled this as I do with everything I don't get and had two hits, the first is www.ime-usa.com which is International Mountain Equipment and the second is www.ime.org which is The Institute of Makers of Explosives (IME) so Mr.Lefty are you

saying that The Makers of Explosives Maxis LArsen TT are poo

or b.) that the International Mountain Equipment Maxis LArsen TT are poo

either way it's Poo IYO no matter who made them right?smiley36.gifsmiley2.gif

Damn, just found what it stood for while checking if there's really a acronym"IYO"smileys/smiley19.gifsmileys/smiley36.gif