What is a reasonable MTB entry fee?

Konaman

My club's organising committee had a meeting tonight to discuss an upcoming MTB race. We were unsure what can be considered as a reasonable entry fee for the  40km and 70km distances, at our race.

There will be 3-4 sponsored water points and no T-shirts or goody bag will be handed out. We have about R15-R20 000 available for prize money from our sponsors.

What do you think should we  charge?

Konaman2009-03-03 12:27:32

Where will the ride be?

Course conditions to be expected, will you be laying out large sums of money to market the event?

Do you have an indication as to the number of people to expect or that you can cater for?

There are so many factors that you need to consider to just break even on the event .... these should give clues to the costs.

R70-R80 is fair in my mind for a smooth well run event .... don't go charging people more because you have decent prize money on hand. Rather invest more money on making it a well organized and supplied event that people will want to come back to in the years to come. Get the event to be sustainable in this way.

Good luck and keep us posted please.

Hairy

I'm happy to pay up to R100 as hairy says, well organised with good refreshment tables and good route markings is usually what makes a race appreciated.

Guest colonel

Well lately I wouldnt worry about the entry fee more the fact if your goodie bags are decentConfused

It is a tough call. We have opened our fun rides to trail runners. They arrive way before the cyclists and run a separate route. This bit of extra income helps to bring the MTB cost down.

Don't rely on food and beer sales to be good. A lot of the riders arrive, ride and then leave.

Be prepared for more people than you bargain on. Our first out-ride attracted far more people than we expected!

I agree with he R70-R100.

Well that is easy. What does it cost to host the event.

Cost to host the event + 10% divided by the expected amount of riders = entry fee.

I would do 10 races @ R50.00 each but i wont do 4 races @ R100 each

Babbas used to be affordable but now!! R90 for 35km and R70 for 12km

I would rather ride at groenkloof R18.50 get you in and you can cycle the whole day. Or go out with the club.

It seems most organisers have caught on and are trying to make a huge profit. Mabalingwe Lionman is now R180 for the 80km and R130 for the 35km. Take your family to the event and it costs you R600 before you've even left home.

Thx for info; I agree it should be reasonable.

We have a 2 day event on 30/31 May in Queenstown. On day 1 you can either do a 40km or reasonably tough 70km (1600m climb),  and day 2 everybody competes together in a  very fast 50km (450m climb). We offer free camping with hot showers;  venue is situated in a gamepark with lots of buck that can be seen from your tent.

How does R180 sound for the 2 day 70km+50km and R140 for the 40km +50km races and also included is a  free potjie kos for the Saturday evening?

Just make sure that your route markers are idiot proof. You will be amazed how many people will ride under danger tape and get lost!

Have far more refreshments than you think you will need and do a practice run with all your marshals.

Also cut our double the amount of parking space or get a hand full of people to help park cars.

smiley1.gif

Sounds great ... mmm in fear of sounding like an idiot ... how far is Queenstown (Not Greenpoint) from Cape Town?

Hairy

Details will be on www.queenstown.co.za after the weekend. will add distance from major cities also then.

ps we have downhills/single track in this race that will raise your heart rate bigtime. (lets not talk about the climbs)