Cycle Lab in Hot Water

Dubsy

Gosh - this is so boring !!!

Nobody is forcing anybody to shop where things are "over-priced"

I think that AM has done more for the sport in the past so many years than anybody else...for that reason - I will continue to support him..

As much as alot of you whinge bout AM / CycleLab (just look at the title of this thread - where is mention of any other person / company ???) - HE and HIS COMPANY SET THE STANDARDS IN SOUTH AFRICA !!!!!

Grow up losers / whiners - and DO more than u TALK !!!!

Everyone's an armchair Lance Armstrong it seems....

its like the Zuma and Yenggeni issue. They did alot to get rid of the appartheid system, but does not mean they should not be treaded any differently to us ordinary people. you will always get AM fans guilty or not or CWC fans come rain or sunshine!

Like someone said if "they" are guilty they must ...

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lets leave it alone now...case dropped,some guy wanted 2 pee everyone off they gt there 3 year old satisfaction....

that guy is a machine...won the vets today...give him some credit...

No I'm not... because to me it appears that their pockets got lined along the way... so they did it for themselves... It's nothing new...

athlete becomes pro -> pro becomes famous -> retires -> starts clubs, shops, organise events -> donate to charities/development -> wins public trust -> makes big bucks (more traffic at their events and shops because public favours them from the name they made - hulle moet seker goeie mense wees want hulle gee geld vir liefdadigheid en vir ontwikkeling van die sport ens.)

Nobody does anything for free, especially on such a large scale... unless of course there's a reward...

But this is off topic...

Someone said you're not forced to buy at the overpriced shop... but where are you supposed to buy if the main suppliers fix prices and all shops are overpriced... Just my experience.

I stay with my point about overseas pricing. I'm also a small scale importer of electronics parts and and musical instrument acc. I can still sell / manufacture-sell at competitive prices comparing to average global prices...

No I'm not... because to me it appears that their pockets got lined along the way... so they did it for themselves... It's nothing new...

athlete becomes pro -> pro becomes famous -> retires -> starts clubs' date=' shops, organise events -> donate to charities/development -> wins public trust -> makes big bucks (more traffic at their events and shops because public favours them from the name they made - hulle moet seker goeie mense wees want hulle gee geld vir liefdadigheid en vir ontwikkeling van die sport ens.)

Nobody does anything for free, especially on such a large scale... unless of course there's a reward...

But this is off topic...

Someone said you're not forced to buy at the overpriced shop... but where are you supposed to buy if the main suppliers fix prices and all shops are overpriced... Just my experience.

I stay with my point about overseas pricing. I'm also a small scale importer of electronics parts and and musical instrument acc. I can still sell / manufacture-sell at competitive prices comparing to average global prices...

[/quote']

Yip, as I guessed...

doesn't matter what the boys have done for the sport, they have obviously taken their eye off the ball and are now trying to milk us a bit. if they really were still doing a lot for the sport they wouldn't be trying to solve the price/profit problem simply by pushing margins...

Mmmmmmmmm

I am looking at a set of racing wheels for my roadbike and the local price that I have been quoted is double the imported price.

R7683 versus R15000!

Guess what I will do...

Competition Commission enquiry - Cycle Lab response

In the recent enquiry made by the Competition Commission, it has been alleged that the cycling industry met to discuss possible price-fixing schemes on cycling equipment and collusion to ?drive up? margins. Cycle Lab, as one of the attendees of this meeting and as a leading retailer in the industry, would like to respond as follows:
Late last year over 40 of the country?s cycling wholesalers and retailers were invited to gather in Johannesburg at an open conference to discuss the state of the industry. The aim of the forum was to generate solutions to overcome the effects of the economic recession, with the objective of helping all SA retailers develop a sustainable business.

This meeting was not an attempt to fix industry pricing, as alleged by the Competition Commission, but rather assessing the cycling industry and establishing ways to align the South African market with current international trends. All parties present debated possible solutions.
It has come to our attention that the minutes captured at this open forum were inaccurate and, based on this document, the Competition Commission felt compelled to launch an enquiry into the matter. However, all members present will attest to the actual intent of the meeting and, to ensure the matter is resolved, have undertaken to sign legal affidavits to this effect.

As an attendee of the meeting, Cycle Lab believes that the conference was aimed at providing positive outcomes for the entire industry ? wholesalers, retailers and consumers ? and that, once the Commission has completed its enquiry, they will find that this meeting was held with the best intentions for all involved.  As one the country?s leading cycle retailers, we would like to re-affirm our commitment to our consumers.

Andrew McLean,

Cycle Lab Director

Mmmmmmmmm

I am looking at a set of racing wheels for my roadbike and the local price that I have been quoted is double the imported price.

R7683 versus R15000!

Guess what I will do...

Excactly what i said.theses guy are going to kill themselves and brands like Token and Planet X will take over.

This meeting was not an attempt to fix industry pricing' date=' as alleged by the Competition Commission, but rather assessing the cycling industry and establishing ways to align the South African market with current international trends. [/quote']

What international trends?

With the current global economic situation overseas shops are lowering their prices to stay in business... I havn't noticed any price increases at several online shops and non-online shops in Europe or USA...

In fact, some overseas shops have crazy specials running at the moment which seems unbelievably cheap compared to what we have to cash up here... The only international trend I'm aware of is shops lowering prices to keep buyers interested...

Ours is not a sport for the faint of heart or shallow of pocket.

Free market dictates that there are buyers and sellers, eventually the two meet at a price acceptable to both and a transaction is concluded. You want to buy from CRC, CWC, Token, Comobike etc; feel free. You want to buy from an LBS or megastore, feel free as well. I you don't like the price being charged, buy elsewhere, no one is forcing you to buy from a particular vendor.

If I run a business and make enough money from it to buy a 4x4 Porsche, so be it, and what does it have to do with anyone else?

If I run a business and make enough money from it to buy a 4x4 Porsche' date=' so be it, and what does it have to do with anyone else?
[/quote']

Nothing. But if you and you so-called competitors get together to artificially set the price, then it's not negotiated on a buyer - seller basis, and I demand that the government get involved to protect my hard earned cash. Oh, and don't get all high and might. I am a confirmed social democrat, so your Capitalism rants wont work on me.