Question re: duties on items from CRC

RickA

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

get more peeps to but stuff with you, If you clear R3800 (I think) you dont pay for shipping, otherwise Its hardly worth it unless the Items are on special.

Watch out for shoes. I bought my Ex girlfriend some shoes there, They charged me al the 30% vat etc and then the shoes were a size 3 in stead of size 6 so I had to send it back which would have cost me about the same as n new pair of shoes would have cost me in the beginning, before they exchange it. So I cut my losses and now use the size 3 shoes as keyrings or throwing at people/things... Expensive lesson.

Dont buy clothes.. from CRC..also weird fits etc...

I thought you were gonna say you cut your losses and broke up with her!

Yeah intelligent people. I would like to know how much a R1000 Helmet would cost in total to get into the country etc. Pleeeez...

Hey RickA, I have a couple of stuff in a wishlist with some more stuff to come. When are you looking to order? We can definitely order some stuff together.

Hello Clever people.

Does one pay import duty on a helmet?

Thanks

Think buying a helmet locally so that you're covered by the crash replacement policy might be worth the extra cost.

Hello Clever people.

Thanks

Think buying a helmet locally so that you're covered by the crash replacement policy might be worth the extra cost.

Yip

Edman posted an like where it quotes EU rates of duty on clothing and shoes, he is quite correct in that there is a prefferential rate from the EU but genrally a specific endorsement on the invoice confirming manufacture in a EU country or a EUR 1 certificate of Origin need to accompany the goods to get this rate. If the goods arrive and even though you bought them from the EU and they state made in china or something on it you could be forced to pay the 40% duty instead. I find though with couriers postal orders then tend not to worry to much though but be careful.

I purchased a few bits from CRC two weeks ago and the box arrived (via the free post option) a week later and delivered to my door by Cape Mail (extra bonus) **BUT** the box had been opened and searched by SARS CUSTOMS and re-sealed with CUSTOMS tape. Nothing was missing, but every item had been opened and removed from it's sealed package. This is a first in as many orders in the last 10 years...

CUSTOMS stepping up efforts.. Clap

Hello Clever people.

Thanks

Import duty would be 25-30% + VAT + Handling, so not really worth it. Especially with the crash replacement etc.

Hello Clever people.

Thanks

No! Bought a Helmet beginning of the year had it send to my post box, I only payed for the item and the shipping, no vat no dutys no noting. Saved about R500 on a 2009 sweep R compared with a 2008 model at LBS.

No! Bought a Helmet beginning of the year had it send to my post box, I only payed for the item and the shipping, no vat no dutys no noting. Saved about R500 on a 2009 sweep R compared with a 2008 model at LBS.

I think you were lucky. The guy @ customs was quite adamant about the import duty of 25 or 30%

I was also hoping to score a Bell Sweep, but looks like I am gonna have to bargain hunt around here.

helmets are classified as follows:

6506.10.90 - 25% duty

as a matter of interest if the helmet is actually made in the EU (don't know if any actually are?), they pay only 9.5%, but you need a EUR.1 certificate.......

• 3 weeks later...

Rock: Apparently there is a new law that states that when you buy gear from overseas you have a "gift limit" of R400 or R500 per year. If purchase amount exceeds that you have to clear the goods personally from customs.

I spoke to customs yesterday and they advised me to rather get a clearing agent as any mistake on the forms or procedure will result in a fine and a lengthy delay. They charge R250.

I've had to go through the whole process on my last order. Hopefully gear will be cleared today.

Hmmm. This should kick up a bit of a fuss among the online shoppers. R500.00 per year from overseas is nothing! What a silly law!

Just a brief story relating to customs. I don't live in SA but regularly visit family there. Cycling gear is expensive where I live, so I always claim VAT back at the ORTIA on my way out. The thing is, the customs/VAT guys have never once wanted to see the stuff, even if they do, it is so easy to give the goods back to someone who is not leaving the country once your form has been stamped, go through immigration and get your cash back (always ask for cash, they will not refund you on a South African credit card). So next time you buy something expensive, make sure you get a VAT receipt (a computer printout is not acceptable) get one of your mates/family members who is off somewhere on a trip to claim the VAT back and hand the goods back to you before they go through immigration. Yes this is illegal.

betty swollocks2009-04-20 23:34:27