Recommend a bike...please.

jhm1104

Hi, I am new to road cycling and as such have to purchase a new bike. I am willing to spend up to R10k and would appreciate any suggestions you could make. These are two second hand bikes I've seen - I have no idea though of whether they would be worth buying or not - any thoughts?

Shot for the help!

Can't get the pictures of the bikes on,see below for each ones specs:

Product Profile Detail

http://www.bikebay.co.za/Products/Thumbnail.aspxf=d5927df2-ac23-4387-a3a9-0d413a281631%5C00dcfbc4-9d3d-49cd-a079-2d1e85f94dd6%5C35415492-bab6-4c06-a9ac-53f812cd2d8d//20090217105650_09.02.17BianchiRepartoCorse55cm.jpg&ampw=700

PriceR 8500
CategoryRoad Bike
Product reference19414
ProvinceGauteng Showroom 
ConditionExcellent
Size55/56 cm 
Frame make /modelColnago Titanio
Frame materialTitanium
Groupset make / modelCampag Record
Year of manufacture (frame/groupset)1998
Brakes (disc/rim & make/model)Rim 
Front shock make/model or fork material Alloy
Rear shock make/model or hardtailN/A
No of cogs9
No of chain rings2
Key features
Mavic Ksyrium wheels and new San Marco saddle
and the second one:

Product Profile Detail

http://www.bikebay.co.za/Products/Thumbnail.aspxf=d5927df2-ac23-4387-a3a9-0d413a281631%5C00dcfbc4-9d3d-49cd-a079-2d1e85f94dd6%5Ccffbbb45-8a3e-42ba-8d84-7637fc5491f5//20090217105215_09.02.17ColnagoTitanio56cm.jpg&ampw=700

PriceR 9000
CategoryRoad Bike
Product reference69441
ProvinceGauteng Showroom 
ConditionGood
Size55/56 cm 
Frame make /modelBianchi Reparto Corse
Frame materialAli
Groupset make / modelCampag Chorus
Year of manufacture (frame/groupset)1997
Brakes (disc/rim & make/model)Rim 
Front shock make/model or fork material Carbonfiber
Rear shock make/model or hardtailN/A
No of cogs10
No of chain rings2
Key features
Includes Computer. Neutron Campi wheels, new Kuota saddle

Rather buy a new Merida or Scott or Raleigh for R10000. At least you will have a warranty, no parts that have wear and tear on them.

Rather buy a new Merida or Scott or Raleigh for R10000. At least you will have a warranty' date=' no parts that have wear and tear on them.[/quote']

Yip

Agreed. Buying a 11 year old bike for 10k will probably not be the smartest option. You can get good value for that kind of money with modern products.

Thanks for the quick replies! At the risk of pushing my luck, is there anything I should look out for ie which groupsets to avoid etc etc when purchasing a new bike. I'd ideally like a bike that would lend itself to upgrading...

Cheers again!

Look at the quality if of the components and not at the frame. Easier to upgrade the frame @ a later stage.

My 1c worth

a Spez Rockhopper (in the range isn't it?) or Stumpjumper which is a little higher' date=' but a sweeeeet ride (cause I ride one)

[/quote']

Were you dropped on your head as a baby? It's plainly obvious that he wants a road bikeConfused

Look at the quality if of the components and not at the frame. Easier to upgrade the frame @ a later stage.

My 1c worth

Actually, the exact opposite. get the best frame you can afford. The best wheels, and go cheaper on the gruppo...

Guest Michelle

I would go for the Titanium Colnago, I own one & wouldn't give it up for the world...

ewep also used to own one but crashed it, and he's desperately looking for another one (think that one might be a bit big for him though)

It is one awesome ride!!!!!!!!!!!

a Spez Rockhopper (in the range isn't it?) or Stumpjumper which is a little higher' date=' but a sweeeeet ride (cause I ride one)

[/quote']

Were you dropped on your head as a baby? It's plainly obvious that he wants a road bikeConfused

Tell me about it, I deleted my post already, pure shame. I was reading another post about an MTB and clearly got mixed up. Ouch

Hi Michelle, as some of the others have said the age of the bike/components is a concern - have you had any problems? Also, what is the benefit of a Titanium frame vs aluminium? How much does a bike like this weigh?

Cheers

hi all...

would anyone be able to help with regards to the difference between the qualities of titanium and aluminium as frame materials - would an all titanium bike be heavier that an aluminium one?

Shot for the help

Guest Michelle

jhm1104: When I got the bike it had an 8-speed campy groupset, I upgraded to 10-speed centaur... you would have to go & take a look at the wear & tear on that bike, maybe you'll get lucky Wink  If you do upgrade the groupest I would definitely recommend sticking to Campy.

Titanium may be a little bit heavier, but the ride is more comfortable & it won't rust...

Unfortunately I'm not entirely sure on the weight of the frame...