Bike Box

Velouria

I need a bike box to transport my bike overseas with (and back again). The box must also be quite portable, as I will need to haul onto trains etc

Any suggestions?

Evans have this, but I don't think I can fork out so much on a bike box, and 14kg empty - that leaves 6kgs for bike and clothes etc for 2 weeks!!

http://www.evanscycles.com/product_images/N9909.jpg

http://www.evanscycles.com/img/buying_advice.gif
 buying advice & tips
http://www.evanscycles.com/img/PrintY.gif
 print this page

Elite Bike Travel Case?299.99

Or buy now and pay nothing for 6 months.  

More info...

Our ref: N9909

A hard case ideal for transporting your bike

• Dimensions (in inches): 12 x 46 x 29
  • A hard case ideal for transporting your bike on flights
  • Keep your bike in the safest possible box for transport
  • Tough solid and squash-proof construction ensures trouble free travelling
  • Perfect for airline use with underside wheels to aid mobility
  • Strong polythene construction with additional protection at corners and vulnerable areas
  • Padding keeps everything in place to prevent scratching and movement of parts
  • Roomy enough to hold spares and other items
  • Weight approx 14KG
  • Please note that due to size and weight of this item it is shipped by courier as if a bike

dude, use a cardboard box. My bike came in one all the way from the USA New Jersey. Then it came from Jhb to CT with Kulula with the GF then it went back with BritishAirways to Jhb again last weekend with me and it was fine. I'm not spending R1800 on a box that weights 14kg, NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!

It might be a case of (no pun intended) shelling out the bucks for a hard case, or simply using a box that bikes get shipped in.  I have (on one occasion) transported a bike from the USA to here like that; simply packed with bubblewrap etc into a bike box, taped up severely with strong packaging tape, plastered with fragile stickers....no problems in transit.

I think Linnega has done something similar when travelling to France?

Was the cardboard box ok? The GF actually suggested a cardboard box, and I had a thousand reasons why we shouldn't use it... but I am realising that moeny could be the biggest issue here.

money is the issue. The guys are careful with boxes like that. If it can survive 2trips on SA Planes I think it'll be fine going overseas. I also have to transport my bike to the states and back come year end....well I'll long story short. Can I buy a bike there and bring it back and tell the duty officer it's my bike I've taken overseas to train on and just bringing it back or do I have to take a bike with, leave it there and bring the new one back, how clever are these ppl. Also can I claim tax in the states airport when I bought a bike there and is there then a bigger possibility that the duty officers here will know I bought it there???

Always a debacle about wheither to use a solid bike box, cardboard box or just wheel the bike around.

In the end it depends on how much risk you want to take and how much time you will have to pack the box.smileys/smiley5.gif 

If you are going to do a lot of traveling then the solid bike box although safer could be a real pain- unless you put all your luggage in it as well.

I have a HUGE box (Iron Horse) back in SA, used it for a few trips and it can vouch that it takes longer to pack and un pack the bike, but at least it gets there in one piece and not bent. On one trip to Mossel bay I watched them unload it at George airport, along with a whole lot of bikes not packed or just in cardboard, they dropped my big heavy box (+/-29 kg's with all my luggage in it including tools and spares) on top of all the other bikes causing some damage and last minute panic for some of the guys.

But would not want to lug it around if doing a lot of traveling on planes and trains, would rather leave it on wheels then and tape the jockey up against the lower stay so it cannot get bent if something is pushed against it.

Bike-thingy - I dont think their is tax in the USA? could be wrong. Your plan would work coming from UK though, I wouldn't bother bringing the bike over as I dont think there would be any record of your luggage leaving the country.

It is fraud though!

who cares CVANC / Gumismileys/smiley36.gifsmileys/smiley2.gif Just kidding V. Here is a novel idea. Why don't you guys that have "Bike Cases" lease it out to ppl that want to go travel??? Lets say R250 for a month?

Since it's my idea I'm first in the que for Des2006 till Jan2007 I need a bike case. So please don't be shysmileys/smiley4.gif PM me!!!

Gumi, fruad is such a nasty word, lets be more creative and call it . . . . . . . . .  let me know what we'll call itsmileys/smiley36.gif

No - I am not leaving - just going to go and watch and ride the alpine stages of the Tour de France smileys/smiley17.gif

Oh - and get married smileys/smiley1.gif

Well - if you are there, you are there - not much of a wedding - more of a honeymoon to remember...

Shame you really getting married smileys/smiley5.gif , well good luck . I think of 20 different reasons to go to France for TDF and getting married is not one of them .smileys/smiley36.gif

I got a TC1 hard case.Tough as nails and takes my road bike or mtb.

No problem with hauling it around as its got wielitjies and handles

Downside......costs me on excess baggage unless I can sweet talk the check in lady

Raises a laugh on the carousel though.Could hide a person in there.

One always forgets the extra weight of:

Shoes,helmet,tools,kit x as many needed,Camelbak,spares....it goes on and on

I think Velouria is a brilliant man - he has probably been planning his honeymoon for quite a few years now - waiting for Lance to retire.