Have bikecomponents really Increased this much????

wannabesub3

Yesterday i went and compared 2008 felt prices with the 2009 prices on their web site. Top of the range F1 in 08 = R45000. In 09 = R70000. Thats a 55% increase and its similar across the range.

After getting all upset about price fixing and the like i compared the prices to the USA prices and was surprised to see that they are about the same as here.

I think the global increase of bike parts plus the exchange rate collapse is what is killing us. I'm not saying that there aren't cases where we are being ripped off(JJ cycling comes to mind), but times are tough and lean and mean retailers like CRC are in the best position to profit during this recession.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys

The increases in prices is alarming. I just got Crossmark LUST's in stock for the EPIC that retailled at R480 2 months ago and now go for R680. However, I must assure you is that is has nothing to do with Price fixing! Most retailers still have the same markups they've always had, regardless of what Cyclelab says.

From what I understand is that the importers tryed to cushion the blow of the R7 to R10 dollar rate late hike last year, hoping it would be temporary. But it wasn't temporary and now all the things they ordered over six months ago (thats the order time lag) are landing at well over the expected prices.

The other factor is that bike & component manufacturers around the world are fealing the Squeeze of the "global recession" and have up'ed their 2009 prices too. A double wammy.

Now the Felt F1 is a top example, here a bunch of factors has increased the price. 1. the exchange rate, 2. increase in price by Felt at source, 3. slight improvement in spec, and (you may not know this) 4. a general shortage of Shimano high end components (which has resulted in Shimano increasing prices).

Clap i.e the F3 with SRAM Red (top of the range SRAM) is only R33999 - amazing value. (Side note and just an opinion - Felt arguably have the most beautifully built Carbon bikes - road and now mountain - at excellent value. How does one tell? They never cover the joins with stickers/paint so everyone can see the craftsmanship) 

And finally, the worst part is not the price increase. It's the drop in the amount & spread of stock and spares brought in by the importers as a result of increased prices and worsening cash flow. I struggle to get loads of spares (eg. hub parts, chainrings, chains, BB's just to name a few) and it is just getting worse. I don't blame CWC for grey importing stuff the importers can't supply. 

Clap i.e the F3 with SRAM Red (top of the range SRAM) is only R33999 - amazing value. (Side note and just an opinion - Felt arguably have the most beautifully built Carbon bikes - road and now mountain - at excellent value. How does one tell? They never cover the joins with stickers/paint so everyone can see the craftsmanship) 

US retail for the F3 is $3699, so our price is a bit cheaper. Nice spec but its odd that they use Rival brakes when the rest of the group is Red.

So where can 'the minutes' be read?

Naa, dont bother mate, they are inaccurate, had a really sloppy secretary with a vivid imagination on duty that day apparently.!Big%20smile
porky2009-03-15 14:37:02

AngryConfusedAngry, Good Morning,Over the weekend DanielXt said Coolheat Distributes CATEYE and indeed they do, just been in touch with them to enquire what suggested retail is on the CATEYE STRADA wait for it R905-00 Inclusive, so probably a bike shop would sell it for R899-00, ok so in a year a little over 50% price increase, hectic yes but acceptable........Now Why then will a bike shop try sell it for R1100-00? Well armed with a print of the weekends posts, the info from coolheat, reckon I'll go see them today and ask for a explanation, will be interesting to see what the the outcome will be.

Maybe THEHUB should have a name and shame post, sothat we can take shops that try rip us to task.

They sell it for R1100-00 because in this country, EVERYONE wants a discount. You got R50 off your last one. If they sell it for R899-00, your will still want a discount and then they make even less. If they charge the R1100-00 they are covering this "Discount Culture" that has been created by shops trying to undercut each other.

When I was in cycle retail, most customers asked for discount before they even say "hi". People expect a discount. "how much can I have this bike/part for?" while pointing at the price tag.

They sell it for R1100-00 because in this country' date=' EVERYONE wants a discount. You got R50 off your last one. If they sell it for R899-00, your will still want a discount and then they make even less. If they charge the R1100-00 they are covering this "Discount Culture" that?has been created by shops trying to undercut each other.

?

When I was in cycle retail, most customers asked for discount?before they even say "hi". People expect a discount. "how much?can I have?this bike/part for?" while pointing at the price tag.

?
[/quote']

At my LBS I see a price tag and I know I should automatically take of 15% (or 20% on Shimano). That is the relationship I have after 20 years of support. I've even got them to match a CRC quote. And I bet you they are still making money. If you don't ask, you will not get.

AngryConfusedAngry' date=' Good Morning,Over the weekend DanielXt said Coolheat Distributes CATEYE and indeed they do, just been in touch with them to enquire what suggested retail is on the CATEYE STRADA wait for it R905-00 Inclusive, so probably a bike shop would sell it for R899-00, ok so in a year a little over 50% price increase, hectic yes but acceptable........Now Why then will a bike shop try sell it for R1100-00? Well armed with a print of the weekends posts, the info from coolheat, reckon I'll go see them today and ask for a explanation, will be interesting to see what the the outcome will be.

Maybe THEHUB should have a name and shame post, sothat we can take shops that try rip us to task.
[/quote']

first ask wholesalers like coolheat, dragons, etc. at what price they getting it....you will be even more shocked what their markup is!!!Ouch

AuctionLamb2009-03-16 02:28:55

Jeez and all this time I believed that inflation was around 7 or 8%.  I did not realis it was weekly and not annual. My badConfused

See. You naturaly assume that you will/should get a discount. Thats fine if you are a loyal supporter of your lbs, spending your hard earned money and have a relationship with that lbs. The discount is built in.

Will you expect a discount from a different store, on your first/second visit? Of course. Thats why the discount is built into the price in the first place, to cover this. Everyone thinks they should get some discount. Every other post on this forum is from people not wanting to pay the price that is advertised for X, Y or Z.

They sell it for R1100-00 because in this country' date=' EVERYONE wants a discount. You got R50 off your last one. If they sell it for R899-00, your will still want a discount and then they make even less. If they charge the R1100-00 they are covering this "Discount Culture" that has been created by shops trying to undercut each other.

[/quote']

An importers / distributors recommended price would include a fairly hefty margin for the retailer - a discount off this margin is well within the retailers ability.

In a normal world a manufacturer would set a MRP (Maximum retail price) and a shop can sell at whatever price they want below this, however SA is not a normal market with all the secret meetings, collusions talks of price fixing, inflating margins etc its no wonder the consumer is so sceptical and demands a discount.!
porky2009-03-16 02:45:44

Well it seems that the margins aren't enough, otherwise there wouldnt be these meetings. The margins are "inflated" because everyone wants a discount. Vicious Circle?

WWAAAAAAAAIIITTTTT!!

Do you go into P'nP or Checker and aask them for a discount?

Sorry, could help myself. smiley36.gif