Mountain Biking disappointed the 1st time

cyclone

Okay' date='well today was a whole new kettle of fish.

.............................................................................................................

Bad first day intro to MTB, brilliant 2nd.Not at all ready to let my slicks collect dust but both forms of the sport seem to have their merits.
[/quote']

Great!!!

Glad to hear that the second day was so good.

I switched from road cycling to mountain biking about 12 to 15 years ago and have never looked back. Mountain biking is the best fun out even at my age.

WELCOME to the great world of MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

time to change the topic heading?

I agree.

Mountain Biking is Fantastic

This could be the heading now.

I have been on a mountain bike twice. Once on a borrowed bike in the 70km Subaru Sabie Classic in 2006 and the other was the valentines day race in Pretoria on my own bike. I must say I k@kked off both times! Not only did I break a sweat but I also went flying a few times Shocked.

I really enjoyed it, however technical courses, mud, single track, down hills, river crossings and things are not for me. I will leave that for the hairy leggers.

And I made myself a rule.. no mountain no ride. If there is no mountain I wont do it. Maybe with the exception of races that are like road races but off road e.g. Crater Cruise. If there is a mountain it will help me to put up with the technical crap and things I don't like.

I have looked at a few mtb races I want to do and will post a thread soon to get an opinion and maybe some other mtb newbs that are keen to join me.

Are you the topic header police now. Why should he change it to suit you, he said he was dissapointed the first time.

Okay' date='well today was a whole new kettle of fish.Wife and I headed to? Arboretum gate in Tokai and decided to climb to the mast.Beautiful day and beautiful views! Yesterday i was churning in the sand in the totally wrong neck of Tokai to be doing any proper MTB'ing.Wife not being used to gravel fell alot and needed some push starts to get going and the tarred section(at least 10%) really did give my quads a deep burn. Was fantastic fun, especially the downhill single track sections,was amazed how much abuse this GT could take.Thanks for the advice everyone and for all those who PM'ed me with advice and invites.Bad first day intro to MTB, brilliant 2nd.Not at all ready to let my slicks collect dust but both forms of the sport seem to have their merits.

[/quote']

Cyclone, so 'n bek moet heuning kry! My point of view exactly. There is a time and a place for everything, someday's MTB, and some Road. I like both!!! Hairy legs 'n all smiley36.gif

Are you the topic header police now. Why should he change it to suit you' date=' he said he was dissapointed the first time.
[/quote']

he does now :)

?

Are you the topic header police now. Why should he change it to suit you' date=' he said he was dissapointed the first time.
[/quote']

oh, goofs, you are such a big girl's blouse. get over yourself. i am sorry telemarketing's in a bit of a slump. smiley17.gif

Guest Big H

Julle klomp moddergatte is werklik 'n weird klomp...... nie net dra julle broeke nie maar julle wip darem julle se gatte verskriklik hoog as iemand durf waag se dat bergfietsry is gaggas....... en julle durf waag julle bekke rek oor padfietsryers!!!!!! Blixem dit IS verregaande. Gee elkeen sy dues asseblief!!!!!!!

glad to hear it worked out better on the 2nd run! Dirt is king... even though i do only own a road bike... Saving my monthly earnings (or what's left of them!) to get a DS in a few months... then going to hit the trails properly (IE: NOT on my girlfriend's recently re-distributedAngry MTB)

Tokai Night rides here I come! Last time i went at night was last winter, with a woefully inadequate front light - bunked it on the first drop off on Mamba - couldn't see where the hell i was going. But damn, was it fun!

Can't wait to get back out there!

My wife and I are roadie's but today we borrowed mountain bikes to see what all the fuss was about.I thought i would really enjoy it and was looking forward to it all day. so anyway i just got back and man was i disappointed.

we went to Tokai forrest and rode for about an hour and bit and i hardly broke a sweat.It was more techinical than the road but slow and not very challenging on the legs. Was also so sandy' date=' spent half the time churning stand while hardly moving forward at all.

Maybe just a bad location.Any mountain bikers out there got some advice or some kind of encoragement or should I trash the MTB idea all together.

[/quote']

As a bunch of others have already said, Tokai Forest is an awesome place to ride. There are a lot of single tracks on offer, each requiring a different set of skills and each presenting something different.

I've done some Google Earth Place marks and routes for most of the single tracks in Tokai Forest, which you can download.... here. While they may not be 100% accurate to the last detail they do give you a good representation of the single tracks. Used some GPS data from WernervdMerwe, and what I know from riding the trails often.

I'm not really going to invite you to join me for a ride however, as I'm pretty sure you would be bored with the speed of the ride. But if you want to check out the single tracks and you want to see some kiss-ass MUni then you're more than welcome to join me Smile

When someone says he went to Tokai forest and had a bad time, there has got to be something wrong! really glad you figured out you were in the wrong place and had a great time second time around! I ride there a few times a week and love it! Hell I'm going to head over there right now!